ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing washer pump

Flame red 172
Hi All,

I need to replace my or repair my washer jet pump as its stopped working. Pretty confident there are no blockages as I have disconnected the pipes from washer jets and can freely blow air back into the tank and see it bubbling.

I started having a look today and it looks like the pump itself is a pig to get at.

I pretty much got stuck at the first hurdle on removing the passenger side wiper arm. Its stuck solid on the spindle! Any advice on getting these off? I tried soaking it with WD40 and bashing it with a hammer to free it up but its solid.

Secondly, once I finally manage to remove the scuttle panel, What am in going to be faced with? presumably I need to empty the washer bottle as its full at the moment and i'm not quite sure how the pump locates into the washer bottle.

Basically im after some advice or tips from anyone who as done this before.

Thanks,
Adam

Clio 182
Hello,

This is all from memory and i did the job quite a while ago (whilst also doing a few other bits) on my 182, so someone please correct me if I've got something wrong!

Firstly I bought a tool almost identical to the one above, about a tenner from toolstation. definitely worth buying as makes taking the wipers off very simple!
once you have the scuttle panel off there are two motors down in front of the washer bottle, one for screens, the other for headlight washers. They push into holes in the front of washer bottle and the shape of the washer bottle sort of clamps the motor itself in place. (I seem to remember that when I was reading up on it people said that the design changed so apologies if this isn't right for your 172).
I siphoned the fluid out with a hose first but couldn't get it all out so the last bit ran out when pulled the pump out.

Trying to get the new pump in with the bottle in place seems possible, so I gave it a try, but even with my tiny hands i couldn't so in the end i took the bottle out. If i remember correctly there is a bolt on one side of the bottle, and on the other there is a locating pin. also i think the wiper mechanism was in the way of removing the bottle completely so i undid the bolts holding it on and the clip to the wiper motor and lifted it out. (make sure when you put this back on that you get the locating pin near the 3 bolts back in the hole, as i didn't and it made a horrible noise and had to take it all apart again!)

Hope this helps and someone can correct me if I'm wrong on anything!

Clio 182
also, no idea how i managed to put a link on 'wiper motor', the link is nothing to do with what i was talking about and no idea why its there!

AB Clio 182 FF
heres a few links that might help you mate:
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?378619-Washer-Jet-Replacement

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ts-fix-guide&highlight=removing+washer+bottle

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...her-Pump-fix-guide&highlight=washer+motor+fix

If you can hear the motors working , then you can probably fix them by doing what it says in the 3rd link, take the motor apart , chop about 0.5 mm off the rubber each side and refit , i did this about a year ago and have had no problems since , and saved me a few pennies .
Link 1 will show you how to remove everything , as for the wiper they are a pain but i eventually got mine off .

Flame red 172
Cool thanks for links guys - Have bought the wiper arm remover tool.

I know I can potentially fix this myself but think Its just worth buying a new pump if i'm going to this effort to get at it! problem is, i'm confused which type I need.

In the first thread, Mells says you need the pump with the right angle feed, however two types exists on ebay. One with a right angle entry which says for 05 onwards and another with a straight entry for 98 to 05. My 172 is an 03 plate so i'm not sure which is the right one.

Any ideas?