ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing the Steering Rack on a 172

Hi, It looks like my rack will need replacing all because it has a leak from one of the seals :( Citren seem pretty cheap at around £50 for the rack (not sure how much for delivery) So it will just be fitting costs.

Does anyone know if the subframe will need to be dropped or can it be done in situ? Are there any other problems with changing the rack apart from it needing tracking after?

Thanks.

i've had to replace mine (same problem - leaking PAS seals in the rack itself). don't know if the A/C 172 is any different to the Cup, but i didn't need to drop the subframe - there was loads of room. it's still a very fiddly job though - wouldn't want to have to do it again really

what's the rack you've found - £50? new Renault racks were £400, and the pattern ones weren't any cheaper when i did mine. went for a £150 recon job in the end

hi, the rack is from citren 2nd hand. the a/c is at the front so shouldn't make a difference should it? i'll get the garage to sort it as i don't have the time.

How long did it take you?

ages, although i'm a slow worker. i think the book time is something like 4hrs for a swap; someone else might be able to confirm either way

M

mini-valver

Easier to drop the subframe TBH, if the captive nuts spin, do it in situ.

I reckon 4 hours is about right, maybe slightly quicker.