ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing injector when cover bolt is rounded

Clio 182 cup
Hi guys.

I have had an occasional engine light flashing which developed into an intermittent misfire. To try and solve this I replaced the spark plugs and leads, and it did fix it temporarily.
OBD2 reader says misfire cylinder 3. Today the misfire became constant so I need to do something about it.
The next thing I want to try is replacing that injector. And I have already bought one.
The problem is I cant get the injector cover off because one of the bolt heads has rounded! Anyone got a suggestion?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Have you got 10mm or 13mm bolts on your fuel rail guard? I very much doubt you would those removal sets to fit, although they are brilliant!

You need to try hammering on a socket that's a size down / slightly smaller imperial size.

330i. E30 Touring.
Well placed grinder blade through the fuel rail guard.

Just be careful of the rail, for obvious reasons.

Clio 182 cup
I will have a go at the smaller socket. Don't want to risk one of my nice ones though. Maybe I could get an imperial size that's slightly smaller.

I did think about just cutting it. It's only the right hand one that's stuck. Trouble is since I haven't take it off I don't know where the fuel rail is to be careful of it, if you know what I mean.

I'd be more inclined to cut it a little then use a massive hammer to split it.

It's only alloy, so better to split it rather than cut it to bits and end up chopping into the fuel rail potentially ending in fire

Clio 182 cup
Tomorrow morning job then. First attempt: Force a smaller socket on. Second, see if I can cut the head off. Third hammer the f out of it. Sounds good to me.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Are you absolutely sure the head is rounded?

You do need a thin socket to get down the hole. Most sockets won't get down the hole as the socket side walls are too thick.

I know for sure that the Halfords 1/4" 10 or 13mm sockets will go down.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
All my fuel rail guard bolts have been 10 but have heard some are 13

Clio 182 cup
A little progress update then...
Yesterday I undid the left hand bolt and tried again to untighten the right hand bolt. It is indeed 10mm; I can feel it catch and then slip. I had no luck getting a smaller socket on either.
WP_20170715_13_59_03_Pro.jpg

I tried smacking the guard with a hammer and surprisingly got no where apart from causing a crack in the casing. I stopped when I got a whiff of petrol that worried me.
WP_20170715_13_58_44_Pro.jpg

I decided I probably needed better access which requires taking the bumper off. Remembering what a PITA that can be, and being reasonably hungover I gave up for the day!
Having taken the coilpack off the upper intake plenum I spotted a crack in it and some corrosion, so will also try replacing this too.
WP_20170715_13_59_25_Pro.jpg

So today I've got the bumber and crossmember off, then jumped on my bicycle and when to the local motor factors who luckily had the correct coil pack - discounted too because one the the bolt holes has cracked. I also went to Screwfix and got a bolt extractor set, as JB21 suggested.
I'm going to grab a cup of tea and crack on... wish me luck.

Clio 182 cup
Not going well. The bolt removing isn't biting, pretty sure I need an impact driver for it. Yes I've tried a 6 sided socket.

Worse though is the left bolt. Where I thought I had removed the bolt and dropped it, I can now see that there's a socket stuck on it! As it's not mine it must have been from a previous attempt.
WP_20170716_13_21_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20170716_13_21_53_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170716_13_22_01_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170716_13_22_01_Pro.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 67
  Clio 182 cup
Damn. I did wonder.

I'm going to try changing the coilpack for now and reassembling the air intake. With any luck that'll fix the misfire and I won't have to do the injector.
You can bet it won't though.

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
Just tap a larger size socket on it and it'll come off no problem, its only on by a thread, 2 minute job lol

Clio 182 cup
You've the patience of a nun in a coma, angle grind the c**t off.
I'm definitely at the point where I would like nothing better than to hack the f***er off. Just a bit worried about cutting through the fuel rail at the same time as making a shower of sparks!

Clio 182 cup
Coil pack hasn't fixed it so I've got to get at that injector.
This is the culprit. Good guess on the shouldered nut. In fact it's an integrated washer, no idea how they got it on!
WP_20170716_17_09_59_Pro.jpg

Well if you can direct me where is safe to cut that would be useful. Its my last resort now.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
When I had mine, some bright spark managed to put that shouldered nut on back to front, fortunately it wasn't on tight so I used blue tac on the end of a socket to get it off.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
How the f**k would you even get that on the wrong way?!!

Edit; i thought you managed to get it out!

Someone could take theres off and measure back how far the rail is?

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
The black tube looking thing to the left of the rail guard is your fuel rail, so just try to stay away from that. Cut half way into the fuel rail guard, then hammer it and surely it should just snap?