ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Repairing Spark plug thread

172 CUP
Hey Guys,

So yesterday my spark plug in cylinder 3 decided to blow out of the head, after inspection the thread inside the head is gone. What would now be the best option?
I was thinking helicoil but seems like a lot of people on here have said not to because of the high compression? The other option I saw on here was timesert? Can anyone give me some advice, I'm not 100% sure if I would trust myself to repair the thread. How easy would it be to do? Also places would need the cylinder head to be completely off for them to fix it wouldn't they?

I live in Heathrow area London so if anyone here knows someone that could do it at a reasonable price could you please let me know

Cheers guys :)

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Get on to James @ Stone Automotive in the traders section, only based in Chertsey.

172 cup, Impreza P1
I would be wary of swarf going into the bore with the head in place. Maybe just me though!

172 CUP
I gave James a ring and he said it's not a cheap thing and that doing helicoil isn't that good of an option he's going to ring me back and talk in more detail about it. I rung K-tec and they said they have had cars where the thread is gone and they have helicoiled it and its been fine, so I'm a bit confused at the mo as to whether helicoil is a good idea or not lol

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My old one was helicoiled by me and my dad. Timesert probably would have been better.

Inlet off, plug out (if it's not already!), helicoil/timesert, have kittens, vaccum cleaner on the end of a bit of hose which goes down the plug 'ole, suck as much swarf out as you can. Plug in, rebuild the inlet etc and Bob's your Monkhouse.

Simple ;)

Civic Type R
If Fred , Ktec and other say its fine, then I reckon it will do the trick. Although, I wouldn't like to buy one that's been fixed like this.

Megane r26
If Fred , Ktec and other say its fine, then I reckon it will do the trick. Although, I wouldn't like to buy one that's been fixed like this.

To be honest unless the seller told you you wouldn't know the difference but i see where you are coming from.

We've helicoiled quite a few cars in the past at our place, some we've done ourselves (theres plenty of kits on the market) an some we've called in an outside engineering company. I helicoiled me old mans zetec fiesta a few years ago an its gone on to do another 60k without any problems. Providing its done properly I don't think you'll have a problem.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
We helicoiled speckys tigra when it was running 600hp and it was fine! Did it in place on the dyno after it blew a plug out too! Plenty of grease to catch the bits and it will be fine.

172 CUP
Thanks for all your replies and advice guys. I'm taking my car to Mark Fish on saturday and he is going to do it. I wouldn't trust myself to do it lol