ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renewal price (it's worth haggling)

Long story short I was paying £1600 last year on my Trophy. Had 3 points, was 23, 3 years no claims and 4 years driving. Manchester/Bury postcode so basically the worst one. The £1600 - I forgot to ring them and get the price down on my previous renewal so they ended up just taking it and I thought ah well.

That's not the story though.

This year, they sent the renewal and it was £1400. That was with the points expired! Needless to say, I laughed. Ended up telling them to swivel as Greenlight offered me a decent policy at £999.

Flux then came back saying they could do the exact same policy as my renewal but for £995. £400+ less just because I said I wanted to cancel!

In the end, Brentacre have covered me for £889. This is literally amazing news as it's almost half of what I paid last year. Proper chuffed!

Moral: b****cks to your renewal. Shop about, ask your current insurer if they can beat it and the same with other insurers. A little bit of work can save you a lot of money!

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Re: Renewal price LOLZ (it's worth haggling)

Brentacre are always spot on and seem to be a great bunch to deal with, they always seem genuinely interested.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

Imagine if you told them you'd been offered it for £795 ;)

Brentacre are always spot on and seem to be a great bunch to deal with, they always seem genuinely interested.
Yup, this guy was interested in Clios as he was thinking of getting one as a daily... he said he drives a 380bhp S13 at the minute! Their accent is awesome too.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup

Yup, this guy was interested in Clios as he was thinking of getting one as a daily... he said he drives a 380bhp S13 at the minute! Their accent is awesome too.

Proper 'Boyos' from the valleys.

Clio 197

brilliant news, especially considering the price you paid last year

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i

Totally agree with shopping round, and trying the Traders on here. My insurance went from £1500+ last year with Admiral to £580 with Greenlight this year!

2014 Clio 200t edc

I had the same with direct line. Changed to a saab 9-3 diesel from my 182, was paying 550 this year and asked to change the car. They said it would cost £7 over the year more to insure the saab (policy had only just started). Told them if had quotes of £385 and they pretty much immediately dropped the price to £398!! Just goes to show what a joke some insurance companies are.

I had the same with direct line. Changed to a saab 9-3 diesel from my 182, was paying 550 this year and asked to change the car. They said it would cost £7 over the year more to insure the saab (policy had only just started). Told them if had quotes of £385 and they pretty much immediately dropped the price to £398!! Just goes to show what a joke some insurance companies are.

You mean every insurance company lol. Their all out their to rob you.

Flux are an absolute robbing bunch of b*****ds

They offer cheap starter prices and then double the renewals hoping you won't notice before they auto-renew

I also took a policy out with them last year, they gave me a price over the phone which I agreed to and I opted to pay monthly.
I paid a deposit and then a week later got a letter saying I'd been refused credit. Kinda weird as I payed for 2 other cars monthly already through the same credit company but hey ho.
No offer to pay the full amount just a letter saying my insurance was going to be cancelled (after already paying 2 months up front as a deposit LOL)

After ringing and arguing they allowed me to pay the full amount but said since they'd had my mods sheet I lied on the original phone call and I have more mods than I declared (I didn't and don't) and whacked the insurance up £200 a year

Utter joke - considering I used to promote Flux through 106owners to 20,000 members at one point.

When I told them I was cancelling all their advertising on my club they apologised like mad and tried to put me through to a manager - so I hung up

Bunch of cowboys.
I'm with greenlight now and it's costing me less for both my cars than flux wanted for just my Passat TDi lol

225 Cup & Williams

Brentacre are a brilliant bunch to deal with and always offer great prices.

Nice to read that other people have had similar experiences :) I wonder if I'd said my best price was £700 I'd have got it for that. Hmm.

The best bit is - I was going to be insured with 'Highways'. Now, with Brentacre, I'm still insured with Highways but for over £100 less!

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

I always knock a bit off my quoted price ;)

PB Clio 172

Flux have been a joke company for a few years now, other year I cancelled with them and they still took my money out of my account! Was so short of money that week - pricks

I am with Greenlight now and more than happy with my price

It's worth getting quotes off all of them, then comparing them and seeing if the one with the best policy can beat the best price.

Nice to read that other people have had similar experiences :) I wonder if I'd said my best price was £700 I'd have got it for that. Hmm.

The best bit is - I was going to be insured with 'Highways'. Now, with Brentacre, I'm still insured with Highways but for over £100 less!

That's the bit that boils my piss the most - I'm insured with the same underwriter as Flux insured me with but for half the price. So I know just how much Flux bend people over

clio 182 sport

That's the bit that boils my piss the most - I'm insured with the same underwriter as Flux insured me with but for half the price. So I know just how much Flux bend people over

Different brokers get different prices from insurance companys, just because flux's qoute was more expensive it doesnt mean they are trying to rob you.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG

It's all business, they always quote I'm preparation to be knocked down, some people argue some people don't.

Different brokers get different prices from insurance companys, just because flux's qoute was more expensive it doesnt mean they are trying to rob you.

I think you mean underwriters - not insurance companies.
The brokers price from the underwriter is 99% dictated by the volume they put through. Flux are a far bigger company than Green Light. Flux will get a far better rate than Green Light. Flux charge twice as much as Green Light.

It's not rocket surgery. They're a bunch of robbing gits.

clio 182 sport

I think you mean underwriters - not insurance companies.
The brokers price from the underwriter is 99% dictated by the volume they put through. Flux are a far bigger company than Green Light. Flux will get a far better rate than Green Light. Flux charge twice as much as Green Light.

It's not rocket surgery. They're a bunch of robbing gits.

I mean insurance companies, an insurance underwriter is a job, and that person would work for an insurance company.

And i wouldnt say there robbing gits lol all insurance companies and brokers are they same tbh.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

I can't believe you paid £1600 to insure a Clio! Madness man! I think I paid £380 for the Trophy!

for those saying flux have been bad for a few years now , us oldies can tell you they have been poor and shafting people for just a bit longer than a few years ..... they have been doing it since the dawn of time

I can't believe you paid £1600 to insure a Clio! Madness man! I think I paid £380 for the Trophy!
Try using my postcode. That is the biggest decider in how much you pay in my experience.

Plus I'm guessing you were a bit older than 21!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Indeed. :(

for those saying flux have been bad for a few years now , us oldies can tell you they have been poor and shafting people for just a bit longer than a few years ..... they have been doing it since the dawn of time

I've got 2 cars insured with flux at the minute and let me tell you I won't be renewing they are a bunch of thieving criminals mate.

yep flux are a joke, last year they quoted me 16k on my 172 cup, i laughed and hung up then this year they actually gave me a decent quote but in the end i went with Greenlight at around £50 more than flux for the simple fact they took the piss previously and the free MODS was a bonus