ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RenaultSport Clio 172 - Costs Diary.

This is going to be a different project from the rest but I wanted to do one anyway. Mine is going to be more a diary of costs. People always ask what it costs to run, so this should answer those things in a round about way. I'm not going to be dull enough to post MPG stats, but everything else is fair game.

I don't intend to modify it. I was going to then I changed my mind. I do very little myself because I don't really know what I'm doing and it's easier to pay someone to do things properly. If I lived closer to Rob he'd be my personal mechanic and I'd just supply him with beer.

Jan 2011

After a few bangers, I found what looked to be a good deal. £1500. 49,000 miles. Had one cambelt at 8,000 but due another.

Si and I travelled to Swindon to go and get it. Got him down to £1400 and I'd already done a DayInsure thing, so drove it home. Next day sorted out proper insurance which was a respectable £508.

Ad photos..

Picture581.jpg

CLioFR2.jpg

Take one picture and maximum amount of posts = P2P champion.

ph1.jpg

Couple of days later the rad decided it wanted to leak like something that leaks a lot. Why did I buy another French car?! Got an aftermarket one for a good price and then it was just paying for fitting again.

Car - £1400
Day Insure - £25
Insurance - £508
Rad + fitting £150

Total cost so far - £2083.00

Feb 2011

As I mentioned, it needed to have the cambelt done. I wasn't so bothered about buying one that needed it as it meant I could get it done somewhere that I trusted and wasn't buying one done by BillyBob in his shed with no locking tools etc. So to Rentech it goes. Full belt kit etc and it also needed a dephaser. Expensive job but needs doing.

I also had to do the essentials like get my private plate transferred and get the iPod thingy so that it worked with the stalk controls. MT Audio sorted that out.

Audio Adaptor - £35
DVLA Welshies - £80
Biiiiiig service - £666.20

Total cost so far - £2864.20

March – June 11

I'm writing this from memory as I'm at work so I'm just bashing these in one go. They happened over the last few months. Obviously.

There was a small crack in the windscreen when I bought it which I shamefully didn't notice due to my excitement at the pretty Ph1 infront of me. So got one of those done via insurance.

Someone thought it would be a good idea to leave nails in the road, so got to work and my tyre was properly shagged. Very slow drive to the tyre place which is just down the road as my spare isn't legal :eek: They didn't have anything decent in stock, so just had to take a 'mid-range' one for £50. Lovely.

cliomotion.jpg

While it was at Rentech having the cambelt, Dave said he plugged it in and the lambda sensor reading was pretty high or whatever it says when it's broken. So needed a new one of those.

Apparently you need tax in this country?! I was shocked too. I always thought I could just drive without it. But alas, you can't. I wasn't at my flushest when this was due, so I only got 6months.

Park it up one day, come back to it and notice a puddle on the floor. 'That can't be my car' and think it must have already been there. Quick look under the bonnet, no sign. Carry on. Get home and check again and it's dripping. Awesome. Have a tantrum because it's just had a new rad. Quick investigation reveals that it's just a broken clip. 30p for a clip thingy and it's good as new.

Got a ClioSport sticker at FCS with Admin discount as Brian had sent me the wrong one, which meant I put an external one on the inside. Backwards FTL.

waving.jpg

Oh and I had my first driving on track experience. Wooop n ting.

waving2.jpg

Also not mentioned are the God knows how many PM's to Rob about various things <3 I sent him one today and then realised he's gone on holiday. That's no good is it?!

Lambda - £135
Windscreen - £75
Tyre - £50
Tax - £112.75
Clip thingy – 30p
Sticker – Free

Total cost so far – £3237.25

July 11

Bearing making a horrible noise, so bought some rear discs from G 172 and got the garage to fit them. As I said, I'm useless with this sort of thing and I'm sure some of you are looking at this thinking 'zOMG he paid someone to fit rear discs' well yeah, but this way I know it's done properly and I'm not going to die the first time I stop for a junction.

Discs + fitting - £111.00

Total cost so far – £3348.25

So that's what it's cost me so far for my purchase of 'cheap' motoring. A 200 on the £199 a month deal is ahead on costs at this point, but not with the spec I wanted, so that's a silver lining to my 'saving money' plan. And Dave, before you say I'm not taking into account depreciation, you're right. I'm not. I don't really intened to sell this car. I bought something that was cheap enough that when I come to buy a house, it's not really worth selling the car.

To be continued..

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Did you buy the lambda from Renault Dan? If it's a geniune part then that price seems about right fitted.

Nice write up mate :approve:

you are looking at this thinking 'zOMG he paid someone to fit rear discs' well yeah, but this way I know it's done properly and I'm not going to die the first time I stop for a junction.

Wise decision :eek:

My phase 1 needs a lambda too, been quoted £99 by Wests Renault so £135 fitted doesnt sound too bad.

My costs are similar to yours I think, mine was £1300. Has had cambelt + dephaser, tax, insurance and tyres. I have modded mine although most of the mods have been cheap.

340i
My phase 1 needs a lambda too, been quoted £99 by Wests Renault so £135 fitted doesnt sound too bad.

My costs are similar to yours I think, mine was £1300. Has had cambelt + dephaser, tax, insurance and tyres. I have modded mine although most of the mods have been cheap.

You can buy an NGK or Bosch item, for around £25 which will work just as well :)

This is looking to be quite an informative thread Mr. Revels, it will be good to keep an eye on this...

It's better than the usual silvervisions, turini's, coilover, DS2500, VHT paint threads! :)

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
i usually think the opposite with garages, i'd rather do it myself and know its done properly :eek:

but then i am a mechanical engineer by day, so guess i should have some sort of general knowledge...

your Clio so far has cost twice what my Audi A4 ('97) has cost me in 2 years :rasp: (including buying it, parts that have needing sorting etc)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Good write up Dan, people totally underestimate car costs like you've just explained. I know i've spent a fortune on mine even for stuff that hadn't needed replaced. :eek:

I'm just getting round to tyres now so it's easy to see how things mount up. The belt being your biggest cost but you knew it needed it so not unexpected as such. :)

Fiesta ST-3
Nice to see someone taking a different approach! Will be very useful I would imagine, and can see this being a sticky in about a year!

I know in a year or two I'm probably going to see my 'total cost so far' and cry. But then that's a lesson to everyone really. Cars cost a lot of money. Even 'cheap' ones like this. Obviously every car isn't the same and things will go wrong at different stages but it'll give a rough idea.

The lambda was ordered by Rentech, so it's a Renault one.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Nice write up. Weird as I've been thinking for a few days;

the iPod thingy so that it worked with the stalk controls. MT Audio sorted that out.

As my headunit is royally fucked I was thinking about putting my standard cd player back in, but I couldn't live without my iPod in the car. If I ask nicely could you link me to the adapter you bought, and is it the 35mm jack or the iPod USB thing that goes in the bottom? Please and thank you :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Really need to get my finger out and email them again about my OE HU. I don't listen to a lot of Music in the car, mostly Talksport but nice to have the connector for the phone/ipod.

53 Clio's & counting
Looks a nice one that, interesting to see the costs as they come - just imagine what some people have spent when you add modifications on too!

I spent around the 5k mark on my old itb'd one - which included mods and 5years/50,000 miles

Listerine & Poledo
If I'd started one of these thrads when I first got the Ph.2 I'd probably have had shot of by now for having spent more than the car's worth every year, at least

330i. E30 Touring.
Good write up.

Dan, if you need anything and you are skint- let me know. I've got sheds full of Ph1 parts. I had a phonecall last night for instance-
Have you by chance got a Left hand stub axle for a Ph1 172?
Of course I haaaaaave! 10 minute dig about in the shed and I had two!

If I'd started one of these thrads when I first got the Ph.2 I'd probably have had shot of by now for having spent more than the car's worth every year, at least

If I'd done the same with my GTi I'd be in tears at the figure.

Good write up.

Dan, if you need anything and you are skint- let me know. I've got sheds full of Ph1 parts. I had a phonecall last night for instance- Of course I haaaaaave! 10 minute dig about in the shed and I had two!

Resistor pack? Lol.

Oh and I forgot I had my air-con regassed too. Perfect timing just before I went to FoS when it was boiling hot, especially after the car sitting in the sun all day. Mobile guy came out and did it. Simple enough. Just needed re-filling. No problems with the system.

Air con regass - £50

Total cost so far – £3398.25

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
And Dave, before you say I'm not taking into account depreciation, you're right. I'm not.

Tee hee :rasp:

Great thread btw, i do something similar on Pistonheads with their calculator.

For comparison, the Trophy has cost me just under £5500 exc. fuel since last September - thats including buying it, a 2 grand service, all modifications, tax & insurance ;)

Drew.

ClioSport Club Member
good little write up that revels, if that is your real name ;), very similar to mine, except i needed shockers and mount also.

out of interest do you know how much in total the windscreen would have cost you minus your excess if you know what i mean? i'm covered up to 300 for the whole job after excess? just want to prepare myself.

Tee hee :rasp:

Great thread btw, i do something similar on Pistonheads with their calculator.

For comparison, the Trophy has cost me just under £5500 exc. fuel since last September - thats including buying it, a 2 grand service, all modifications, tax & insurance ;)

I'm hoping it calms down down as it does seem to be quite high atm. But obviously a nearly £700 service and a few other bits soon add up.

good little write up that revels, if that is your real name ;), very similar to mine, except i needed shockers and mount also.

out of interest do you know how much in total the windscreen would have cost you minus your excess if you know what i mean? i'm covered up to 300 for the whole job after excess? just want to prepare myself.

Revels is my actual real name ;)

I think it's about £400ish. Not cheap at all.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Good Write up mate..

Im going to do one of these now.. See how much iv spent..

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice little thread this, keep it up.

If I did mine, I think I'd be pleasantly surprised, the only thing I've paid labour on is my cambelt. (but the amount of parts I've bought is INSANE)

Update time.

Needed a few bits at CSS and had spoke to Josh/Kats before hand to bring a few things along for me. I needed a resistor pack as my heaters were only working on 4 and I wanted a standard Ph1 airbox as I had this horrific cone thing on when I bought it.

I got the airbox, resistor and something else that isn't shown today because it's not ready yet which not everybody is in love with.

The man, the legend, Mr Fred fitted my resistor for me. He fitted the wrong one to start with because I'm a mong and didn't get the right one, but you get more than one shot so second time lucky as I wasn't going to beat again, all fine and dandy.

Then while the bonnet was open Jon said that I should fit the airbox, then stepped back when I told him to crack on! Lol. So Rob stepped up with Scrooge supervising. Thanks guys. It was a pleasure to be close to you.

Some pics of it fitted..

jlsairbox2.jpg

jlsairbox1.jpg

Obviously a big improvement even though you can't see it before. You'll just have to trust me. Increase in speed wise, I'm not sure. I'm guessing at around a 29BHP increase, pulls a lot better at all revs, she just makes me wanna go all the time. It's fair to say the car is alive with the sound of vrrrmmm.

Before anyone says anything. I don't care that my engine bay is dirty. It's supposed to be.

Airbox, resistor and secret item = £70.00
Total cost so far – £3418.25

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL at that sticker :)

Good thread keeping track of the costs. Think I spent £14k (bought for £6k) on my 172 excluding tax and insurance in 3.5 years.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
FLOL at the sticker
Really good thread to read before purchasing a Renault sport. A lot of people just look for fuel costs, insurance, tax and a few mods. Keep up the good work!