ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault engine tuners in the South

182T
Without wanting to drone on - and be another guy asking questions which in hindsight are obviously from someone uninitiated, I'll give a little explanation.

Owned a Williams for 14 years so know the car (except engine internals) and want to go racing in it - I'm not a mechanic but have done my own repairs/servicing, I'm alright with the spanners and have got a brain cell or two. Not wanting to destroy the first car I bought myself (No 10 - shame to take it off the road, garaged, well looked after (?!) etc) I recently bought a cheap W2 with lots of mods and money apparently spent on it over the years to convert that one for racing instead. I have about 10k (everything, not just engine) to prep the car for entering a series next year with a couple of practices towards the end of this year hopefully. The engine currently has a rattle and low oil pressure - I'm thinking worn oil pump leading to followers being starved of oil and developing the rattle.

Before I strip the car and prep for a cage etc I'd like to diagnose the engine probs and depending whats needed will work out if it is worth tuning at the same time, or if its something I could repair myself with my trusty haynes and adding some cams/pulleys then I might just take that option and consider more major engine work next year. My budget won't stretch to forged pistons et al so it won't be that 'racy' but cams/gas flow etc may be possible.

Trying to understand the ins and outs of engine tuning for a non-mechanic/outsider is pretty tricky (can anyone suggest a book which covers most of what I would need to know to make an informed choice?). I'd much rather pay someone for an hour of their time and ask any question that I feel I need to ask in order to get a clearer understanding - but I need to be confident that THEY know what they are talking about hence asking for Renault race engine builders in my area.

At the same time as all this I am of course studying race regulations, blue book, planning budget, building a website for the build, researching & buying parts, kitting out my garage, reading 'competition car preparation', 'competition car electrics', 'race and rally source book', 'build your own sports car', 'practical performance car mags', fasteners & plumbing and watching Debbie Does Dallas (phew)- all whilst trying to keep a smile on the face of my missus, keep the my business going, renovate my house, save for a pension.... - its a wonder anyone manages to do this s**t at all :S haha.

And now I've forgotten what I was writing about!

Oh yes, engines! bloody things. I enjoy the process of working on the car and feel its the best way to learn, otherwise I'd just buy a ready made one, but doing that whilst it is cheaper, I won't learn what I need to.

So, it doesn't look like there are any specific Renault places local, providing services other than what I could probably do myself at a push - but lots of recommendations from people which I thank you all for. I need to re-read through this thread and look a bit closer at the ones already mentioned.

Any suggestions on engine building/tuning books which closely relate to my type of engine in the mean time?

And thanks for your time, knowledge and wisdom :hail: . Its great being uninitiated sometimes - you never know what you are letting yourself in for!

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are you allowed bodies in the series you are racing in?

If so, a set of bodies, and some hotter cams, with some forged pistons and rods, and you are comfortably over 200bhp, I wouldnt bother going for very hot cams and solid lifters etc though as it will just mean it doesnt last as long if you are revving it much further and it sounds like you wont be able to afford to keep rebuilding it all the time.

You also want a diff, gripper is probably your best bet if its just for racing, or quaiffe if you wanted to use it on the road a lot as well.

You're probably look at 4-5K in parts to do that lot, which is half your budget and hence you still have enough to prep the car itself hopefully.

Cooksport Fleet
Timsbury is mental.... It's the place to be....

I can put you in touch with a guy who is very good... PM me though ;)