ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing sound deadening

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
No not that stupid bit of foam underneath the bonnet, but the stuck on crap that is plastered all over the inside shell, as seen in the pic...

interior.jpg

I'm guessing a heat gun and some sort of scraper, but if using a heat gun on the stuff on the roof, is there any danger in damaging the paint on the other side?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I removed all the tar patches from my 172 last week.

I bought a heat gun from Machine Mart £20 that and a chisel/ paint scrapper makes light work at removing the tar, even on setting one!

06998ed7.jpg

Well worth doing. I now have a very heavy carrier bag full of tar.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Thanks mate, leaves a bit of a mess I see :)

Does it make much difference to the noise in the cabin?

I recently stripped mine bare like this, i left the sound deadening, no real weight saving IMO, it does look a mess left on tho i admit, but it will still look messy unless you cover or spray. I wanted to put down some grip stuff (self adhesive) until i saw the price of it lol per meter lol.

Golf GTD Mk7
you might save a reasonable amount, but with it being low down weight, in some ways removing it may affect the weight distribution, and i'm sure it must help with shell stiffness.

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
you might save a reasonable amount, but with it being low down weight, in some ways removing it may affect the weight distribution, and i'm sure it must help with shell stiffness.

No smilie, but surely you can't be serious?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I recently stripped mine bare like this, i left the sound deadening, no real weight saving IMO, it does look a mess left on tho i admit, but it will still look messy unless you cover or spray. I wanted to put down some grip stuff (self adhesive) until i saw the price of it lol per meter lol.

I disagree. Everyone who has picked the bag of tar up is surprised at how much the discarded tar actually weighs.

It does leave a mess, but I am going to spray the interior matt black anyway.

If that was the case the 172 cup with have the tar patches fitted!

2004 ph2 172
I've seen American forums where they used Dry ice sat in the floorpans to freeze the stuff so that it can be chipped out easily.... hard to do on the inside of the roof though ;)

R26
autoglym intensive tar remover literally dissolves the left over sticky s**t btw. completely gets rid of it :)

E46 M3
The stuff on the roof to hold the headlining on is different to the stuff on the floor. The stuff on the floor is easy to get off, the stuff on the roof well, you'll see ;)

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
The stuff on the roof to hold the headlining on is different to the stuff on the floor. The stuff on the floor is easy to get off, the stuff on the roof well, you'll see ;)

I must admit I haven't removed the roof lining yet (wanted to get a big chavvy sunstrip before I do ;)) So i guess I have that little surprise to look forward to!!