ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing front brake calipers.

My calipers need re-painted because I didn't make such a great job of it the 1st time as the paint is starting to flake off, didn't help getting covered in mole grease from a split CV boot I suppose.

Anyway I was thinking just removing the caliper completely rather than painting it in-situ like that last time, question is, if I remove the caliper from the brake line will the brakes need bleeding afterwards?

yes, and if you've stainless lines (?), you'll need to plug the hose up to avoid losing too much fluid. you can usually get way with clamping rubber hoses to prevent fluid loss, but not stainless lines

yes, and if you've stainless lines (?), you'll need to plug the hose up to avoid losing too much fluid. you can usually get way with clamping rubber hoses to prevent fluid loss, but not stainless lines

No, I've still got the standard lines fitted, did plan to eventually uprate the lines with braided/stainless lines at somepoint, I may as well do both at the same time.

Cheers mate.

172 cup
if u go halfords they do some simple orange like clips slide it on the hose the u push the adjuster up till its tight the u dont need to block the hose off dont forget though u will need to re bleed ur brakes after will only need to bleed front brakes and will be all good

Golf GTD Mk7
I know you've got my guide Jon mate, if you just do the brake hose condom thing (rubber glove) then fluid will stay in the lines.

When taking the calipers off remember they are full of fluid, so don't get any on any paint (could be why they calipers are flaking). To remove the fluid place the caliper on the floor (on wood preferably) piston up, assume the CPR position and press the piston in with you palm (might need a bit of weight, but will all of a sudden go). All the fluid will poor out where the brake lines attach.

The sliders will also need removing if you're planning on removing them. If you're going to spray both caliper and slidders, make sure you seal up the bleed nipple, brake line connection point, the piston and any rubber.

Easy job mate. Get the lines changed while you're going it :approve:

Bleeding is a must after all this and keep an eye on the fluid levels. If you do the condom technique (Jonny patent pending ;)) then there shouldn't be any fluid coming out at all.

Lol. Yeah I noticed the "condom" method you'd used mate, I may use your "patent peding" method before it's licensed :rasp:

I won't be doing it anytime soon though, especially while the weather is so crap.