ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing auto wipers.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Is this possible? If I just stuck a indicater stalk off a cup in would it work?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
They don't work, that's the point. So I ether have off or constant wipe, Pain in the arse in light rain.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
^^ annoys me doing this, drove 80 mile yesterday doing it about every 10 seconds.

The 182 Cup wiper system is also pretty gash so I don't recommend fitting that. No proper intermittent. They're either on, or on a one-speed (quick) intermittent, with an awful relay click on each sweep.

Black Gold Trophy
Get them fixed? I'd say somethings wrong as mine work really nicely.

But if you really don't like them you can get someone with CLIP to turn them off

Black 172
Mine work fine BUT I always have to tap the stalk down and up first time I start the car, after that they work fine and automatically adjust the wiping frequently to the amount of rain, stop and start when they should etc.

But if I don't tap the stalk the first time, they will just remain off even in heavy rain, is that a normal glitch with the Clio or just my car?

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
Mine work fine BUT I always have to tap the stalk down and up first time I start the car, after that they work fine and automatically adjust the wiping frequently to the amount of rain, stop and start when they should etc.

But if I don't tap the stalk the first time, they will just remain off even in heavy rain, is that a normal glitch with the Clio or just my car?

Mine is the same as that, so I guess its normal.

I really hate the relay click from under the glovebox with the auto wipers really gets on my nerve

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS

It's normal. Prevents the wipers wiping if say the windscreen is frozen. Saves the blades being ripped off.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Auto wipers piss me off a treat.

The manual for my car states to only turn the auto wipers on if it's raining. Which begs the question, why even bother with them in the first place? I hated my last ones and I hate these as well. I'd love a proper variable intermittent wipe.

Clio 172 RS2
Variable intermittent works the dogs b****cks. :mad:
(the intermittent change on the stalk, turnable part is sh*te)

I hate the ratchet click for just a one-wipe. :evil:

I also hate it when spraying the screen fluid you get this auto one-wipe after the window is wiped clean! :banghead:

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Mine are weird and don't work...you flick the stalk from the 'off' position to the 'on (automatic)' position, but all they do is act like normal intermittent wipers, going off at a set interval - doesn't make any difference if it's raining or not, and the rotating dial part of the stalk does nothing to change anything. Whats going on there?!

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF
I also hate it when spraying the screen fluid you get this auto one-wipe after the window is wiped clean! :banghead:

Agreed this is really annoying, the screen is clean and dry and then it wipes again and adds new smears!

Mine don't work and haven't since I got the car. I used gel and got a temporary fix but now I cba and think the standard intermittent settings are fine

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine are weird and don't work...you flick the stalk from the 'off' position to the 'on (automatic)' position, but all they do is act like normal intermittent wipers, going off at a set interval - doesn't make any difference if it's raining or not, and the rotating dial part of the stalk does nothing to change anything. Whats going on there?!

Suggests the 'auto' part is not activated.

sam55

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 FF

This is the same as mine, it's probably your gel pack that's needing some attention, but when I fixed mine it only lasted like 2 days and then went back to how it was

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
Suggests the 'auto' part is not activated.

I thought this, but apparently there's no way of actually turning it off, so should be fine?

RE: the gel pack: ahh, i see. The auto lights still work fine, and as the wipers weren't going mental but actually going off at a steady interval I wondered if maybe it wasn't that...although I doubt I'm fussed enough to start messing about with it as it seems auto wipers aren't worth the fuss - just annoying that I have a supposed 'feature' that doesn't work....I'm a perfectionist like that ;)

BurnyC

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
There is. I turned them off my old one as they drove me MENTAL !

Can't remember how to do it though. Search on here or RTFM ;)

As a male, the very first thing I did upon buying the car was hold a ceremonial burning of the manual.

In seriousness, all it says is each time you get in the car, return the stalk to the off position, then back to the automatic position. That doesn't seem to make any difference, so either there's a secret way of turning them off completely, or it's forked. My moneys on the latter tbh.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Burny - I think you need the ignition on, engine off.. then either put the wipers on and off 2/3 times, or twiddle the intermittent thing a couple of times and it should beep at you. Same for the auto lights. Have a search.. you'll find it.

Ralphizzle - I've no idea what you're on about. Sink ? You mean it wears out ?! It's £4 for 250ml. It's not going to last 10 years is it.

G1 however is much better and should last a year or more but it's £25 for 15ml from Gteqniq.

I've used RainX for 10 years and swear by it. It helps visibility in damp weather, and definitely helps a lot in really wet conditions. I've upgraded to Gteqniq in the last year as it's a much more durable product than RainX. If you don't use it on the screen you look out of most, what is the point of it ?! :S

Burny - I think you need the ignition on, engine off.. then either put the wipers on and off 2/3 times, or twiddle the intermittent thing a couple of times and it should beep at you. Same for the auto lights. Have a search.. you'll find it.

I don't think you can turn them off in that way. There is nothing about it in my manual and I tried doing the ignition thing like you do with the lights but it didn't affect the wipers.

I'm sure I've read on here of people switching to the ph1 stalks to get rid of auto wipers? Or something like that anyway.