ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing Air-Con Pulley......my alternative method!!!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Removing Air-Con Pump......my alternative method!!!

Here you go guys....heres a cheap & easy way of removing your air con pump...

Basically consists of new Saab pulley, 1400mm 6 Rib belt, modded cosworth alternator bracket & a 172 non air con alternator (I'm sure I could of used the original one to be honest but I impulse swapped mine for this one anyway).

Probably not overly pretty but it does the job...and cost me around £40-50 for the parts...

Original belt layout can be seen here...

240320081023Medium.jpg

My version...

18082008174.jpg

18082008171.jpg

18082008172.jpg

18082008175.jpg

18082008176.jpg

18082008179.jpg

Not particularly pretty I admit....function over form etc but gets rid of a load of unwanted weight & a small amount of load on the engine and doesnt cost a fortune like some conversions do.

Every little helps..

:D:D

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
that diagonal bar coming off the block has f**k all strength in it, i'd be surprised if that belt doesn't slip

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
omg i can see that aux belt flying off from that idler when u start the bean up

Volvo S60 T5
that alternator sticks out a long way are you sure it's going to fit, make the alternator bracket stronger. Why not ditch the power steering as well ?

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Fred - I thought someone might say that - but believe me when all bolted up its VERY tight & solid - bear in mind its only job is to keep the alternator in position if something strange should occur to the long main alternator bolt. But I might put the other bracket back into the equation...its no biggy.

Daniel - Why's that exactly - but fear not I cant see me the selling the clio in the forseeable future so you've got nothing to worry about! How would you suggest I remove the engine & box out of my Clio when I havent got my ramps up yet?? Ever heard of the word 'improvisation'!!??

172Bagss2 - Yeh agreed thats cheap but when I rang around no body had any of the parts so I opted for this route - and no its not on the piss - everything lines up perfectly.

Baileys16vBeast - Can I ask why you say that?

Mike@Rentech
- I did consider ditching the power steering as well.....but decided that I'm a bit lazy so prefered to keep it. I think it should fit but its not a problem if it doesnt I'll just get a shorter belt and move the alternator round & up slightly.

I might put the other bracket back in then to strengthen it all up & keep people happy....like this...

18082008170.jpg

Thanks for the comments.....I think!! lol

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Well much to the disappointment of some people I'm sure.....my little mod seems to work a treat....

th_P1010129.jpg

Just a shame the bearings in the alternator sound like they have gone.......the guy didnt tell me that when I swapped him for my good one!!! :mad::mad:

Btw...ignore the engine movement - the dog bone mount wasnt connected at that point!!!

Clio 172 Sport Ph2
Its a different alternator...I swapped my perfectly working one for a non air con 172 alternator off a member on here.

I can tell the bearings shagged because a.) its noisy b.) it gets hot very quickly!!

RS 182 CUP
Re: Removing Air-Con Pump......my alternative method!!!

On this pic the alternator looks like it's on the piss... or is it just me??

Anyway...

Cup Alternator Brackets £38 (delivered)
Cup Alternator £40
Cup Belt £15

For everything else there's www.birchdown.com !! :rasp:

can i get these bits still for these prices?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
I'm sure removing the engine/box is easier up and out of the engine bay? Saves messing about with subframe etc, and is the alternator $hagged because there is no tensioner?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Its about £90ish for 1 bracket and £30ish for the other, £8 for the aux belt, £120 for an exchange cup alternator and about £20-£30 for bracket bolts. I have all the part numbers to hand for the 'Cup' alternator setup

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I bought the complete setup 2nd hand off a 172 cup in a breakers for £75, keep looking out for them. IIRC the Kangoo 1.9 diesel uses the same alternator, there was 1 on E Bay for £50