ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remote start fitting

Clio 1.5 dci 80
Hi guys, im looking at getting a remote start system for my clio DCi 172 rep, just wondered if anyone had fitted one themselves and how easy they found it, and what makes a good one? Im a mechanic myself but must admit not a genius around auto electrics, wondered if anyone had a wiring diagram of one that I can browse over to see whats involved. Also Ive read a lot of people saying about the insurance implications, which to be honest im not worried about.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
do you mean remote start, along the lines of what you could do with a Clifford alarm, so you can activate it from a remote away from the car?

or, just a push button start instead of using the key?

Clio 1.5 dci 80
Yes, sorry, remote start, not a push button start, was looking at the Clifford's and there's a few others on eBay but can't see they are going to be any good??

Mk2 172 Cup
Would be cool the first 3 times you use it but why would u need to start the car before your in it? Unless it's a cold morning and you want to let the car warm up but then your at risk of theft, and I'm sure the cheaper systems all use the same fob

1.2 Clio
Hi, as usual the Nazis with no real idea of how to implement these things reply first.

Remote start can be fitted, however depending on what phase your Clio is depends on how easy it is to do.
I have a Clifford inteliguard alarm, it has the remote start feature, but on a phase 2, to bypass the immobiliser properly you need a breakout chip, which sits from the immobiliser to the obd port. It means that if you need the obd function on your car, its hard to get at. These breakout chips are around £150.
If however you have a phase 1, the immobiliser can be bypassed much more easily, with no cost.
It is possible to get around the immobiliser another way, which I know a lot of people do, you may have seen it yourself but this is why there are insurance implications.
If you can fit an alarm, you can easily add remote start. It's 6 wires or so, requires a little diagnosis of cables and you're away.
If you need help wiring one, pm me and I'll give you a hand.

The other insurance implication is that your car won't be covered as if you remote start it in gear and it jumps its way into something its downright dangerous, that's why these should really only be fitted to auto boxes.

And the fact remote start in the uk is not legal (nor is leaving a cold car warming up on the drive)
However it is a brilliant thing when cold or hot (aircon)...use it all the time in the states

But it's OK for the Police to install Runlock. :coffee:

Why bother ..... most volvos now (mine can) can do that , as did my last lexus .....

The reason they want it is to run blue lights for some time whilst dealing with a situation.

Perfectly understandable reason really

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Why bother ..... most volvos now (mine can) can do that , as did my last lexus .....

The reason they want it is to run blue lights for some time whilst dealing with a situation.

Perfectly understandable reason really

I know full well why they have it, but to stop anyone else fitting it is a bit daft. The doors are locked so it's just as difficult to steal as the car without the engine running, plus the second you touch any of the controls it will cut out.

I didn't know any car had runlock as standard though.

Allows you to take the key out of the ignition while the engine is running. Meaning you can lock the car with the engine still going to generate power for blue lights, hydraulics on the fire engines, scene lighting etc etc.

I know full well why they have it, but to stop anyone else fitting it is a bit daft. The doors are locked so it's just as difficult to steal as the car without the engine running, plus the second you touch any of the controls it will cut out.

Allows you to take the key out of the ignition while the engine is running. Meaning you can lock the car with the engine still going to generate power for blue lights, hydraulics on the fire engines, scene lighting etc etc.

Runlock isnt remote start ..... lots of cars have it as standard eg my lexus did ,my volvo does .... proberbly lots of keyless start cars

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Remote start is epic in the winter, don't care what the law says! Leather seats + cold car = hell on earth