ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Remote engine start question

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
I've been looking at different alarms for my clio and alot of them come with remote engine start. Does this affect the insurance?

megane 225
humm, debateable the avantgard 5.5. is the latest from clifford and it thatcham approved. I beleive it is exclusive to GAP though and to be honest from my experience i would not go to them (thats just my personal opinion)
Most remote engine starts will invalidate tatcham approval as most are not tested.
Do you REALLY REALLY want remote engine start?

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
To be honest i wish i could just get the one factory fitted from renault, but without the ass raping.

megane 225
think its a cobra they fit, where abouts you located buddy?
You can get a 'plip' upgrade for about £250 which works off the standard renault key fob, cobra do one, laserline do (with lifetime warranty) autowatch and toad

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
We had this discussion a Month or so back and it got a bit confused.

So I contacted Thatcham, and they told me categorically,

"Any car that has a remote start fitted, will not qualify for a Thatcham insurance rating, and any installer that is caught issuing certificates with remote starts will be struck of the VSIB register."

Even if you fit a remote start to a car that has a standard factory fit immobiliser that qualifies as Cat2 (like the Clio) you will invalidate the certification that is registered with the VSIB by Renault, for your car.

Couldn't be clearer really.

And thats before you get into the legalities of using a remote start on a public highway or access.

megane 225
We had this discussion a Month or so back and it got a bit confused.

"Any car that has a remote start fitted, will not qualify for a Thatcham insurance rating, and any installer that is caught issuing certificates with remote starts will be struck of the VSIB register."

Even if you fit a remote start to a car that has a standard factory fit immobiliser that qualifies as Cat2 (like the Clio) you will invalidate the certification that is registered with the VSIB by Renault, for your car.

And thats before you get into the legalities of using a remote start on a public highway or access.

Nicely put, in essence having remote start defeats the point of having an immobiliser. To be honest i dont see the point in remote start (people say it is useful for turbo cars) I think also insurance would probably increase (dont quote me) but i would just go for a decent alarm without remote start. Like i said 'plip' upgrades are readily available, laserline being probably the best as it has lifetime gurantee and remote touch key override, but hey its your prefrence. Otherwise go for a clifford conecpt 650, thats CAT1 but you will need to have 2 remotes then, one clifford obviously and your normal renault one.

clio 16v
i have remote start on my valver its mint i have the clifford and i was told that they were only 2 be put on auto cars but this was 3 years ago i got a mate of mine who is in the bissnes and he did it me .but i love mine just start it on cold days go do my brakefast then get into a cosy car to drive

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
my mate had remote start on his corsa he turned it on in gear and it bumped the wall lol.

Stanced Honda S2000
ive got autostart on mine... Clifford 950

its great... just dont tell your insurance ...

a little dodgy but hey ho...

Chelsea tractor
...standard factory fit immobiliser that qualifies as Cat2 (like the Clio)...
Hate to sidetrack, but my clio (apparently) has a cat1 immobiliser / alarm or whatever. What does this mean, and how does it differ from cat2?

megane 225
cat2 is just an immobiliser, cat1 is alarm and immobiliser
cat alarm must have battery backup siren, perimiter protection etc etc

Last edited:

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
I have it in writing from Clifford and confirmed by Thatham that Intellistart makes no difference to the catagory of an alarm, if the alarm fitted is Cat 1 alarm and you have remote nstart fitted, it is still a Cat 1 alarm.

Bryan, can you scan the letter in, or direct me to the person at Thatham who has told you this, because it is not correct.

Anyone want to doubt me, phone these numbers and confirm to yourself what i already know.

+44 (0)1372 847120 - Clifford
Tel: +44 (0)1635 293166 - Thatham

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
And yes, its not illegal to remote start your car, who ever said this has watched too much 5th gear. It is unlawful to remote start your car on a public highway, massive difference between the two terms.

And yes, its not illegal to remote start your car, who ever said this has watched too much 5th gear. It is unlawful to remote start your car on a public highway, massive difference between the two terms.

Hence my comment on the public roads.

Personaly I wouldn't get it regardles sto many easy mistakes to make with a manual plus its just good practice to leave the car in gear.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3

Personaly I wouldn't get it regardles sto many easy mistakes to make with a manual plus its just good practice to leave the car in gear.

What mistakes can you make? you cant remote start the car if its in gear if thats what you mean.

Any news Brian on the letter or person at Thatham who told you they voided the Cat1 cert?

What mistakes can you make? you cant remote start the car if its in gear if thats what you mean.

Any news Brian on the letter or person at Thatham who told you they voided the Cat1 cert?

Its bound to invalidate CAT one since your leaving the keys in the ignition.

You can remote start the car in gear it happens.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3

Its bound to invalidate CAT one since your leaving the keys in the ignition.

:SWhy would you leave the keys in the car at all? or have you assumed that to remote start a car you leave the keys in the ignition? because that is incorrect.

You can remote start the car in gear it happens.

It is impossible to be able to start the car in gear or for that matter, grind the starter motor, you simply can not arm the thing it due to starterguard if its in gear, who has it happened to?

Intellistart doesn't invalidate Cat 1 as it is fitted to the alarm output therefore is an accessory under the control of the alarm.

^not my words^ Thatchams.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3

BUMP for Brian, could you let us know who said this to you mate.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Yes, sorry. haven't been ignoring you, just hadn't caught up with this thread..
This is the guy to contact, he will confirm what I posted earlier in the thread.

Mike Briggs
Research Manager – Vehicle Security

Direct Tel: +44 (0)1635 294847
Main Switchboard Tel: +44 (0)1635 868855
Fax: +44 (0)1635 871346
Email: MikeB@thatcham.org
www.thatcham.org

I cant believe Clifford have made such a statement about their Alarms, given that they don't list the remote start alarms as Thatcham approved models.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
Yes, sorry. haven't been ignoring you, just hadn't caught up with this thread..
This is the guy to contact, he will confirm what I posted earlier in the thread.

Mike Briggs
Research Manager – Vehicle Security

Direct Tel: +44 (0)1635 294847
Main Switchboard Tel: +44 (0)1635 868855
Fax: +44 (0)1635 871346
Email: MikeB@thatcham.org
www.thatcham.org

I cant believe Clifford have made such a statement about their Alarms, given that they don't list the remote start alarms as Thatcham approved models.

Cheers:) I will have to write him a letter and another to a director there for clarity.

The responce i had, regarding my letter from Clifford, was from Joe, via security@thatcham.org, which basicly said Intellistart did not effect the Cat1 in any way...
"...as it is fitted to the alarm output therefore is an accessory under the control of the alarm an thus not subjected to Thatham testing."

Obviously this is a concern for me, as i know my insurance will try anything to get out of paying me, should a claim be raised.

I will post back and scan all letters in when i get a reply.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I have to admit, I'm getting confused by this also.

I have just spoken to Clifford, (or Direct Electronics the parent company) and the Girl there said they were convinced that they were right, but couldn't tell me why. She seemed to go into a flap when I told her what Mike Briggs had told me. I have been promised a call back.

This could be one of these grey areas where Thatcham say it isn't compliant, and the makers say it is OK because its not part of the spec that Thatcham test.

They had this problem with Black Jack as well.

I agree you need a definitive answer because it is exactly the sort of thing an insurer would use to slide out from under their obligation to pay out in the event of a claim.