ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear light problem

'02 Monaco Blue 172
I have the main rear light on the passenger side out. I have swapped bulbs over to the other working side and both work so must be a problem with the light unit or electrics.

All cabling looks ok into the unit, and all other lights on that side work.

What else can I check?

220 Trophy
Coincidentally I have the exact same problem. Its not that the bulb has gone because the bulb works perfectly if swapped over to the driver’s side unit. Plus if I plug the driver’s side unit into the passenger side loom everything works perfectly. I think it must be a problem with the actual unit itself.

Would be good to know if it’s a common problem.

220 Trophy
You don’t get rear HID lights – you would blind the people behind. HID’s, with ballast-packs are for the front, as per the thread title we are referring to the rear lights.

PH1 172
Check the passenger side bulb holder for any corrosion around the contacts, especially the main rear light. I had the same problem with the indicator and after cleaning the pins that the connector block clips to with an old tooth brush and wd40, it has kept working since ~6 months.

Forgot to say that my pins looked ok to start with so do the above even if you think they look ok :)

Jap Box
Had this problem with my left brake lights, got someone in the car to push down, while i moved wires about until it got a decent connection. Been working fine since then :) just move them about and see if it starts lighting up again.

220 Trophy
A fuse I could understand if it happened to the whole unit, but it only happens to the bulb that switches on when the front headlights are turned on. It doesn’t happen to the stop light or indicator bulbs.

I’ve bought the bullet and purchased a new set of the later model light units, will hopefully resolve any gremlins and also look a bit smarter.

PH1 172
A fuse I could understand if it happened to the whole unit, but it only happens to the bulb that switches on when the front headlights are turned on. It doesn’t happen to the stop light or indicator bulbs.

I’ve bought the bullet and purchased a new set of the later model light units, will hopefully resolve any gremlins and also look a bit smarter.

Yeah the ph2 lights do smarten up the rear of the ph1 nicely. Check the guides section for a guide on how to swap the wiring around so your ph2 lights work correctly

PH1 172
Thanks, had already found the guide, looks fairly easy to swap the wires over.

Very easy to do mate....just take your time when you are moving the little black clips back to get each wire out as these can snap easily and don't need to be bent back as much as you 1st think :)

220 Trophy
Did it all last night, only took approx. 5 minutes each side. Fantastic guide as I thought I would have to chop and splice the individual wires in the loom. The PH2 lights look so much better than the PH1 and really suit the silver colour of my car.

Jap Box
Did it all last night, only took approx. 5 minutes each side. Fantastic guide as I thought I would have to chop and splice the individual wires in the loom. The PH2 lights look so much better than the PH1 and really suit the silver colour of my car.

Yeah its a simple job :) you could have also just used the PH1 clusters and replaced the indicator bulb with an orange/silvatech one if you wanted too, saves moving wires :)

1.2 Dynamique 16v
Apparently earth to the rear lights in the clio is not very good. So I would suggest checking this out.