ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear disc question

b/g 182, meg tourer
had a cracked rear disc about 18 months ago. replaced both rear discs bearings and pads with standard items. now after 18monts usage the guy who mot'd it said the discs need replacing soon!! :eek: wtf!!
how could that be? i dont do excessive mialage or braking etc. i have noticed that there is a 1mm/2mm groove 10mm in from the outside edge of the outer face of one of the discs. what would cause this? and do you think they need replacing? it also doesn't look like the pads fill the full surface area of the disc's judging by the wear marks.
cheers.

b/g 182, meg tourer
same here, but i got an advisory on my mot and he mentioned it to me. wondering if the caliper could be sticking. doesn't appear to be tho so i dont know what else it could be?

260% JCW
The discs/breaks would only fail an MOT if they were badly scored, lipped or rusted or prehaps the car failed the brake test (when they test the break distribution and %).

Ive had my car 5 years or so now and ive replaced the rears twice maybe 3 times.

The groove may have been caused by s**t getting between the pads and discs causing scoring.

b/g 182, meg tourer
ok, cheers for that kevster. so just keep an eye on them i guess and try cleaning any crap out of them?

As above, my old motor had an avisory for the rear disks and they were proper fucked, didnt stop the lass from driving on them for another 10K though lol.

b/g 182, meg tourer
replaced rear pads today. discs dont look to bad to be honest. knocked off the excess from the edge and the thickness seems fine :)
pads were very worn on the inside, outside pads looked almost new! what would be the cause for this?

b/g 182, meg tourer
the calipers didn't seem to stick at all. think i must have fitted the last set wrong. only thing i can think of is not getting the lump/clip on the pad in the piston properly...

seems to be fine now tho :)