ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear damper/shocks mounts

clio sport cup
Need some help.

I got some new dampers from Icarus, who sent them very quickly and they are all good (thanks for that), however when i went to change them over the rubber bungs and the wee metal pipe are 17mm wide, where are the new shocks need 19mm wide bits.

Icarus said i can get the parts from renault, which is fair enough as he has recently done so himself, however the clowns at renault claim its part of the damper pack.

So what i need if possible
a) the part numbers for a clio cup 03 rear shock damper pack.
b) or if anyone has any of these spare (for both sides)

Cheers

look like i need to cancel fridays track day now .. bah. nvm

bonus random pic of what i need :
bung.jpg

Last edited:
Post the pic of your current ones as well as they are nothing like mine!

The ones that came off were 19mm, the bilsteins that went on were 19mm - hence I'm confused.

Fred get on here and dip into your spares bucket to sort the lad out :)

Cheers
M

Oh as per PM 1995 Saab 9000 Aero rear damper top mounts should fit as well as IIRC they are 19mm.

Cheers
M

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
you can only buy the renault ones with the shocks (i had to recently)

Robbing c***s.

clio sport cup
ben, have you seen them like that before? and no not KONI, LIP Gas-Tech

Renault say they can only be gotten with the shocks, but Icarus(who i obviously believe) said he got a pack the other day.

20habd4.jpg

this is slightly off topic, but can these wear away causing creaking and other problems?

jamie

Yep rang my Renault man who provided me with top and bottom rubbers with insert and lower bolts........ unless he either A) had some or B) Pinched them from a box with the dampers in.......

Cheers
M

clio sport cup
unfortunately talking to an idiot here lad, what would i look for?

jamie

in the boot pop off the rubber caps on the sides (two cones things)
have a look see if it looks like there is movement, you cannot get to the bottom one without removing the shocks, but i guess if the top one has play then its quite a good indication the bottom one is shot.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
One dealer told me i could get them, so i said ill pick them up.. got there and he couldnt get them on the computer lol.

Where have you originals gone?

clio sport cup
It appears the ones that are on the Clio Cup (which what seems the orginal shocks) are 17mm (i.e the coller and the mounts).. However the new shocks (pic above) are 19mm, so the collor and the bungs will not work..

I guess (and what Icarus says) that 19mm is the standard for the metal bit (the plunger).

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
The clio cup mounts and normal 172 mounts are the same, (ibe had shocks off both)

I can't see how yours just got smaller ones tbh, buying new from renault wont get you 19mm IMO.

Go for the Saab ones if matt thinks they fit..

clio sport cup
what you saying that buying new from renault will NOT get me 19mm wide ones, but 17mm? and ben do the mountings you have had look like the pic?

Cheers

in the boot pop off the rubber caps on the sides (two cones things)
have a look see if it looks like there is movement, you cannot get to the bottom one without removing the shocks, but i guess if the top one has play then its quite a good indication the bottom one is shot.

cheers lad, post work, pre squash match time sorted lol

jamie

Clio Cup meaning Renault Sport Clio in general vs normal none RS Clio.

To be honest I'm confused now! Am sure the threaded section on those dampers is 10mm with a 13mm nut securing the rubber top mount washers.

Does the insert physicaly not fit over the threaded section?

Cheers
M

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Ahh if there off a cup car, thats a differnt ball game!

The renault (road) ones have a 16mm bolt on top, koni use the wider rubbers, sleves and bolts as do the likes of bilstien iirc

Different to the two I've done recently which were just rubber doughnut bushes..... they were both on aftermarket replacement shocks though, not originals.

Ring Gaz and order some up ;-)

Cheers
M

clio sport cup
That is a Renault road car mount, same as on mine etc

right the more i keep saying 17mm and 19mm (what the guy in the garge told me) that just seems too big.

Im sure where the color fits it more like 9mm (the other is 7mm) and the nut is 10mm.

So ben.

can you explain, are those correct for the 172 Cup, and the shocks I have need different mounts? if i went and brought genuine cup shocks (even thought they come with the kit) would they fit in those 7mm holes.

What do you mean by road car?

clio sport cup
Clio Cup meaning Renault Sport Clio in general vs normal none RS Clio.

To be honest I'm confused now! Am sure the threaded section on those dampers is 10mm with a 13mm nut securing the rubber top mount washers.

Does the insert physicaly not fit over the threaded section?

Cheers
M

Ahhh.. right i mean a Clio 172 Cup - Road car, not a race spec 'Clio Cup Racer' car.
Hence the insert (the tube) will NOT go over the threaded section.

I think we know the problem now.. :)

Last edited: