ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear axle help

Cro

Meg'd r27
Just about to change the rear axle and was just wondering if the on the 172 where the axle connects up for the computer to calculate abs etc, is it the same type connection block used throughout the range i.e 1.2 16v. I have a yellow female block just under the passenger side of the car coming from the engine direction and a male connector coming from the 1.2 axle direction- these do not fit into each other! right/wrong blocks? the 172 axle im about to put on does not have a lead running the whole length of the car, do i need to get this from somewhere or have i the wrong leads mixed??Thanks

Clio's
if its a 172 FF and not a cup then the ABS wires should just swap over! Although even after doing that the ABS will not work correctly as on the 172 rear axle the ABS rings have 32 teeth and the 1.2 oly has 28 therefore the ABS will kick in constantly and you will not be able to brake!! You need to get new ABS rings on the 172 rear axle which means getting new discs aswell as the rings come with the discs.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Sorry should have mentioned, the conversion has been done so the rear axle is all that is left, im looking at the yellow connector on the passenger wheel side and cant see how it will connect to the rear axle, the block thats there doesnt fit and theres no long wire from the 172 rear axle, possible missing part?

Cro

Meg'd r27
Quite bad pics but the phone is all i have around. My bad its a black block connector but yellow on the inside- which i presume is off the 172 loom from the conversion. the other connector goes back into the axle i think and doesn't fit. the new 172 rear axle has no long connecting wire or i have got the wrong wires

Attachments

• Image049.jpg
    Image049.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 36
  • Image052.jpg
    Image052.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 38
  Lots of Alfas
What year is your 1.2?? Where is that connector show above? The only connection i can think of looks like this:
seiz_1141068119_fa_photo_0259.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
The connection im looking at is just beside the passenger wheel arch. it was a 2001 1.2 16v facelift. Now 2l 172 engine. Currently the abs isnt hooked up anyway so i think i might just swap the axles and see if i come across anything

Cro

Meg'd r27
hmm might be good news then, il swap the axles over and take pics of any wires im left with.Cheers guys

Cro

Meg'd r27
What year is your 1.2?? Where is that connector show above? The only connection i can think of looks like this:
seiz_1141068119_fa_photo_0259.jpg

I see what you mean now. This is on the other end of the part im taking about, so those connectors above are at the rear over the axle and the bit im talking about is on the other end at the front.

How do you remove the handbrake cables/get the new ones connected back up, it looks like the cables connected at the moment just go through a hole and dissappear or does the heat shield right along the car need taken off. Im taking pictures as i go to throw up a guide

CB600FS
A few 1.2 etc owners have tried putting a 172/182 axle on there cars. The connectors for the ABS are the same, but the number of teeth on the rear discs on the sport axle are different to the number of teeth on the original car drums, therefore it'll put the ABS light on.

A few 1.2 etc owners have tried putting a 172/182 axle on there cars. The connectors for the ABS are the same, but the number of teeth on the rear discs on the sport axle are different to the number of teeth on the original car drums, therefore it'll put the ABS light on.

Yep the only fixs are to have new abs rings made up or swop to the 172 rear axle and computer.

Or have new front ABS rings made up but the speedo going to be out. since speedo runnings are taken fromt he front.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yea i know that guys thats why im CURRENTLY putting the 172 axle on. Car has had 172 transplant already etc

Clio's
for the handbrake cable only one part of the heat shield has to come off and then you need to unhool the ends from the metal puller bit and then pull them from the otherside of the hole. at first it might seem like they are stuck but they should just come straight out with a good pull.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Yea got that bit sorted mike, just the brake lines left connecting the old axle. If i disconnect these wont they just leak the whole brake fluid out?

Clio's
yeah, your best clamping then at the flexible bit with some locking pliers
its also quite easy to round the nuts for the brake lines so be careful not to

Cro

Meg'd r27
Any idea what that plastic box is on the 172 axle attached where the abs and brake lines attach? it has a small swivel arm coming off it, no such thing on the 1.2 axle?

Attachments

• Image064.JPG
    Image064.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 36

Cro

Meg'd r27
Theres a blue and yellow handbrake cable... pretty normal. But why is the yellow sooooooooooo much longer than the blue?

Clio's
i think one of them has to be longer due to way it is threaded around the axle and then under the car. as for that pic im not sure what it is. where abouts on the axle is it? near the calper/? is it on the O/S or the N/S?

Cro

Meg'd r27
its attached to the same place as where the brake lines meet just over the axle itself beside the n/s spring

Cro

Meg'd r27
well done fitting etc and all seems to be ok so thanks guys, remaining problems are just what the connector i found at the front wheel is, what the box is above the rear axle and where on earth is the connector for my abs wires run from the back brakes to the front and have nothing to connect into?!?!?

Clio Cup by RIKUS
Hello i'm French, i can speak english, and the most important i did the conversion so i have most of the answers...
Just ask your questions??? and i'm willing to help...

Cro

Meg'd r27
Thanks very much mate, the axle has been on for a few weeks now but i just cant find the connection at the front of the car where the line from the axle is meant to connect to.If you have a look at the photos posted you might see what i mean

Cro

Meg'd r27
Hmm any ideas why they would be missing, it has had the 2L conversion done so should be about on the loom. where abouts should i look to see if its maybe sitting about somewhere in the engine bay