ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Reaching the end of my tether.......

Ibiza FR
Car is really getting on my tits now.:mad:

Its a 1.2 16v Mk2, and had an intermittent electrical fault for a while now and have spent a while trying to track it down.
Symptoms are:
- Think it misfires
- Revs fluctuating up and down
- Cutting out
- Revs not always kicking in when pressing throttle
- Only seems to happen when coming to a stop or reversing.

I've already:
- Checked and removed anti tamper box behind engine - no damage to wires
- Replaced throttle pedal
- Replaced Coil Pack and Spark plugs
- Tried better fuel

Using BP fuel seemed to stop it happening as often, but it still happened.

Just want it sorted, but don't really want to take it to a garage, rather do the work myself. Can anyone shine some light on what else I can do or what may be causing it!?

Cheers

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Could be either the air flow sensor on the intake or the TDC sensor above the gear box. Do you ever have starting up problems ?

Ibiza FR
Cheers, I've just been having a read and I think that TDC sensor usually causes starting problems, which I've had none of. Ill have a look into the air flow sensor.

Ibiza FR
Its ok... Sometimes it can be lumpy though. I've had the airbox off and sprayed carb cleaner through whilst running but can't get right into throttle body. I guess thats the next thing I'll try.

V70 d5 beast
i would say clean throttle body see if that helps.. have you checked for any silocone in the engine ecu connectors as that can cause cutting out when pulling away from junctions or
could be high resistance/internal fault with the engine wiring loom that goes on top of the engine and plugs under the anti tamper unit

Ibiza FR
Going to clean TDC sensor tonight and check the Air Flow Sensor, I'm going to have a bash at the throttle body aswell. If all else fails I'm going to take it to see Fred at BTM

Skoda Fabia vRS
im voting throttle body needs replacing

£262.47+vat (if its the one im thinking of), very common

LY 182

was gonna say the same,, sounds like all the symptoms link to this..

although,, my one major hate of internet forums.. EVERY post on here is a guess as to whats wrong with your car, including my own..

what bugs me is some people will listen to all these guesses and go through changing countless parts that wern't needed..

would have been cheaper to put it in a garage and pay them 40 quid to code read it for you

Ibiza FR

Ok cheers mate, I'll keep that in mind.

was gonna say the same,, sounds like all the symptoms link to this..

although,, my one major hate of internet forums.. EVERY post on here is a guess as to whats wrong with your car, including my own..

what bugs me is some people will listen to all these guesses and go through changing countless parts that wern't needed..

would have been cheaper to put it in a garage and pay them 40 quid to code read it for you

Cheers. I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way - but I've only changed parts I would have anyway (coil pack and spark plugs at service) and tried parts off a mates car (throttle pedal). I wouldn't think about buying random sensors or a throttle body if I wasn't 100% sure. I asked as a last chance to see if there was anything I could check or clean myself.

As said, I'll be taking it to a garage at the end of the month if all else fails.

172 Cup
Id say at the symptoms you have, a lambda sensor wouldn't go a miss. Other than that, the TPS sensor in the TB as mentioned already.