ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

re : creaking noise at low speeds

Silver 172 cup
This has beenn bugging me for a while now. At low speeds I can hear a slight creaking sound coming from. Around the front/underneath centre area. I was convinced this was the centre mounts for the exhaust but these were only replaced about 3 weeks ago (I'm sure the noise went for a few days after this) but it is now back to how it has been for a while.

Really starting to get annoying!

Anyone else had a similar problem on 172 cup?

Cheers

Clio 182
I have the similar on mine but seems to be more right hand at front. Especially slow turning and going over bigger bumps (such as speed bumps) and thought it could be anti roll / suspension arms / moveable part in suspension needing greasing?

I don't know if I'm talking total nonsense sobpls forgive any ignorance!

Aj

Silver 172 cup
Well I thought that too but when I took it to renault they said it all looked ok . Seems really unhealthy though, like the car is just gonna fall apart!

LY 182
More than likely anti roll bar inner bushes... They dry out and crack making a creak over bumps

53 Clio's & counting
Checked the 4 steering rack bolts, I've seen these come out/ loose and the rack will creak.

Check this, bear in mind the rack bushes will probably benefit from being replaced, made a great difference to mine when I did mine

I've had this for a little while, I thought it was down to the polly bushes on mine, I may have a look at the rack bushes now, I'll get worried if it stops before I have a look though, as you just tend to get used to it on an older car.

Regards Russ....

Silver 172 cup
I've had this for a little while, I thought it was down to the polly bushes on mine, I may have a look at the rack bushes now, I'll get worried if it stops before I have a look though, as you just tend to get used to it on an older car.

Regards Russ....

I'm off tomorrow so will have chance to have a proper look then, thanks

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I get a creaking noise over some speed bumps too, along with when it's on full right lock when I'm pulling onto drive. It sounds horrible. Are these bushes easy to get to?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I have ramps so it's good there and that's not bad then, I'm looking to change all bushes on the front end as they are all old now :(

53 Clio's & counting
it's worth doing tbh, looking back driving a few when they were new, it is a big difference.

Mine is polybushed throughout which tighens it up even more

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Ye I have owned mine 2 and but years now and put 20K in my ownership exactly today on, just thought it felt like it was loosening off over time.

And ye poly bushes is what I will be doing tbh all done at the same time as fitting some coilovers just to make sure there's a big difference :)

BG 182
have you ruled out a rolling ball joint? they can creak when they are sat in gods waiting room ready to give it up. find a junction that goes up hill and drive up it both ways. they play about with no load so right turn = right joint and left = left joint.

jack car with more than just a tyre jack and try put a crowbar or similar between the back of the hub and lower arm, take care to avoid gaitor. pull downwards as if you were trying to pull the ball from the socket and if you any movement there is a chance its shagged

also check gaitors for splits and also for greasy grit on or near to them