ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RB 182 Cat D...

Mk5 Golf Gti
Hi guys,
After a bit of advice really, couldnt have much of a worse day to be honest!
I currently own a RB 182 cup and have done for the past 10 months... now im looking at selling up and buying a newer shape Clio 200.
It was HPI Checked and it came back clear but after 3 seperate checks, it turns out my clio is actually a cat D write off, in 2006 it was written off by insurance... only a year and a half old :(

So the price it was advertised for £3250... is now a very unrealistic goal, im just after some advice from you guys as to what my car is actually genuinely worth and what my best options are. It was bought in a private sale, cash in hand.

Its on 74k, racing blue 182, all belts done on 63k, service 3 weeks ago where all discs and pads were changed, brand new springs and shocks 3 weeks ago, miltek exhaust system, ktec induction, short shifter, xenon headlights etc etc... Im just after a bit of help really, what kind of price would it go for? Ive been offered £2000 but that seems incredibly low when mechanically and astethically its sound.

Thanks in advance guys :(

Joe

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
If you HPI my car it comes up as Written off as it was down to the Prev owner having a Private plate on a clio 182 and then the plate put on to the 182 Trophy so straight away it looked my car had been written off but it was down to the owner having 1 private plate on 2 clio 182s.

£2k is about right for a cat D 182, especially if it was cat D when it was only a year old - thats mega damage!

As someone said above though it may be related to a private plate transfer, when you bought it did you not do a hpi check? i assume it cost you nearly £4000?

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Insurance companies have been writing off cars for tiny little things for years. Could be because the car was rolled. Could be because the word c@nt was Keyed into the side of it. Find out why it was written off before you start advertising as cat d.

Nothing worse than advertising as written off without knowing why

Yeah well done, it says he has done 3 check, it reads as if he has just done them and it came back as cat D (if he done 3 checks when i he bought it he would have known it was cat D back then)

10/10 for reading.

Mk5 Golf Gti
Insurance companies have been writing off cars for tiny little things for years. Could be because the car was rolled. Could be because the word c@nt was Keyed into the side of it. Find out why it was written off before you start advertising as cat d.

Nothing worse than advertising as written off without knowing why

Will insurance companies have history of why it was written off because there is nothing in any of the history that i have that suggests why it was written off 9 years ago! I do have a picture of the hpi check... Two seconds

Mk5 Golf Gti
I did one when i bought it, it was clear... Had a viewing of my car yesterday, they did a hpi check and it came back as Cat D, i therefore did 3 yesterday just to make sure and 3 came back as saying it was a Cat D!

Exactly as i read it mate. @McGherkin 10/10

Was it a proper hpi check you done when you bought it or a text check? we bought a bmw recently and done a proper check, was £20 i think, it has a garuntee with it as long as you put in the vin e.t.c, not sure how long that lasts though? perhaps you could chase them if you done a proper one?

Mk5 Golf Gti
16914849827_0fdb60bd97_s.jpg
Untitled by joe.hryszko, on Flickr

16934449768_8d2474a4b1_s.jpg
Untitled by joe.hryszko, on Flickr

Let me know if these links work, that was the Hpi check that the buyer did yesterday! (it was done at a garage)

Mk5 Golf Gti
I should add, M40 CUO was a private numberplate that was on the car before i bought it... it was put back to the original reg BL54 KPA when i bought, then my private one has been put on since!

The Cat D relates to the registration of the car so i'd say it has been Cat D, The reg M40 CUO has also been recorded written off a couple of times but as you can see the dates are later than the original Cat D of the original Reg.

What HPI check did you do when you bought it?

Mk5 Golf Gti
Honestly, i can't remember which hpi check it was... i believe it was a text one, I was too excited i didnt really think much into it and it came back as clear so in my mind that was it. Since then ive got a new phone and a new number so not even sure how id go about finding it... Ive been offered £2100... do i take that and cut my losses? :/

Text checks don't seem to offer a proper guarantee, imo £2100 is a very good price for you and if i were in yours shoes i would take it but ultimately of course its your decision.

Mk5 Golf Gti
Yeah i am taking it, £2100 and im splitting some of the parts too :( if anyones after any Xenon headlights mint condition... let me know hahaha

Mk5 Golf Gti
Ill hold my hands up and say i should have paid for a better hpi check, live and learn i guess... Not going to argue that i made the right decision, i guess the excitement of getting a new car took over! Lesson learnt :)

Dodgy one
The lad you bought that RB off was a proper bell, I've dealt with him personally..

Best of luck in your Golf though, If it's the one I think it is you've bought, it's tidy for it's age & it's clear.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Few things I'd say about that HPI check.

There should never be a total loss marker against a personal plate and if the car has a personal plate on at the time it should just be against the VIN. You should be able to check with MIAFTR when the marker was put on the car as if it's been put on the car after you've bought it I'd be speaking to the insurance company which put it on. You may be able to get images/area of damage from MIAFTR but it's unlikely. As said, look into the guarantees you have with the HPI checks you did.

2k for a cat D 182 would be amazing IMO though.