ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rattle since fitting ASTs

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Bit of an odd one.

Ever since fitting ASTs I've found a rattle from the OSF when that wheel hits undulations in the road.

The odd part of it is that it seems to go away if I feather the brakes.

I will pull it all apart tomorrow to check it over, just wondering if anyone else has seen something similar?

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Does sound odd, fingers crossed it's something simple that's just a little loose and you can rectify while under there with the spanners tomorrow.
i had no drama of that type when I fitted my AST's.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Hmm, its hard to put my finger on it, Dan.

It certainly rattles to the undulation of the road and isn't a definitive single knock.

Its quite soft - I first wondered if it was my bumper missing the lower undertray to support it, but the fact it goes away when feathering the brake seems to kill that theory.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I guess it wouldn't hurt to check that.

I got them already assembled, straight off another car, so just chucked them on.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Just gave them a quick check - seems pretty tight! It turned the tube before tightening any more.

PH1 172, E39
Ever since I put on the K-Tec version to this, along with the Eibach Springs, I have been getting this same rattle.

Sounds as if it is coming from right under the glove box and makes the car sound old.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
It almost sounded like this, but I couldn't see how :/

Are you suggesting play between the sandwich plates or inside the rosejoint part of the top mount it's self?

Any suggestions on the next course of action?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Between the spherical bearing and it's housing.

So is that a wear issue or one with assembly?

New top mounts needed? :/

Any info I can get in advance would be a great help. I want to try avoid disassembly for now if possible after I've just had it aligned and with brands on Friday

Last edited:

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
In my experience it's a thing with having solid mounts. You can't expect to have race style mounts and solid mounted items without trade off's.

Ah I see, so you're saying its normal.

To be fair, the car won't ever be used on the road, I was just road testing the new shocks/setup.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Loose brake pads.

You may be right.

I can't find anything wrong on the nearside where it sounded like it was coming from, but the ns caliper is definitely slightly loose on the pads.

I'm guessing the piston is seized as the sliders were the other day.

Ffs.