ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rare Car?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I rung Adam (I believe), a man some people recommended to get cheap genuine renault parts from, and told him I have a 1.4 16V Clio Alize, and he told me this was a rare car?

Is it?

Picked it up for a grand, with 64,000 miles off a family friend.

This is over a year ago now though, so it's on about 80k.

Done quite a bit of milage.

Still worth much?

I was hoping to sell this and get a 172 in April, pretty much even if out, give or take a couple of hundred on the 172's side.

Reason being; this would make a great first car, so hopefully it'd appeal to that side of the market.

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Possibly rare because no one wanted to own the car in the first place.

Its like the newer Clio Bizu's, Pzaz & even the i-music.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I should have worded that a little better.

I meant is it rare? Then a side question of, if it worth anywhere near what I paid.

Lol.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. So yes it is worth it.

Its rare, not the rarest trim level though

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Wait, you were planning on selling your current car and getting a 172 for near enough the amount your Alize sells for? How muh do you think you're going to get for the Alize? Have you had a lot done to it?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Wait, you were planning on selling your current car and getting a 172 for near enough the amount your Alize sells for? How muh do you think you're going to get for the Alize? Have you had a lot done to it?

I bought it for £1000, and it's gained about 16k, but it's had a full service recently, and a few other parts. No upgrades but new parts.

I'm hoping to get sort of similar back, and buy a 172 for around £1300/1400.

My mums mate bought it for £700 as a non runner, and it pretty much had everything put into it.

New head gasket, fuel pump e.t.c.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I think you'd have to be patient; you could try listing it around 900-1000, but would expect people to try and haggle you down, so I think if you got 800 you'd do well. Bare in mind as well as the milage it's also a couple of years older - and the mk2 ph2's are now so cheap also that many will probably go for those, so perhaps the ph1 will be harder to sell unless someone particularly prefers the ph1.

Also, if you're going for a cheap(er) 172, is it because that's the max you can afford, or max you want to pay? Because a 172 bought for £1300/1400 is likely to cost you some extra money later down the line, so would you have that money for any problems? If it's short on tax, that'll be 250 almost straight away (Unless you get 6 months, silly me - still a fair bit over 100 quid though for just 6 months).

EDIT: I'm in the process of going from non-sport to sport, and was also disappointed by the value of my non-sport these days, but that's just the way it is I suppose.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I think you'd have to be patient; you could try listing it around 900-1000, but would expect people to try and haggle you down, so I think if you got 800 you'd do well. Bare in mind as well as the milage it's also a couple of years older - and the mk2 ph2's are now so cheap also that many will probably go for those, so perhaps the ph1 will be harder to sell unless someone particularly prefers the ph1.

Also, if you're going for a cheap(er) 172, is it because that's the max you can afford, or max you want to pay? Because a 172 bought for £1300/1400 is likely to cost you some extra money later down the line, so would you have that money for any problems? If it's short on tax, that'll be 250 almost straight away.

EDIT: I'm in the process of going from non-sport to sport, and was also disappointed by the value of my non-sport these days, but that's just the way it is I suppose.

Cheers for the advice, appreciate it.

Yeah, it's all I can afford to spend at the minute, solely because the insurance is high, but could pay for tax etc with my savings account.
Don't really want money coming out from that for the actual car e.t.c.

Whats the value of your Expression?

Thought it would be high as it would appeal to all markets, new drivers, older people, e.t.c.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
My expression? 1500 maybe, I'd hoped more like 1800 going by Autotrader and the like, but the ones at that price on Autotrader tend to sit there a while. 02 Reg, 39k, all original.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
My expression? 1500 maybe, I'd hoped more like 1800 going by Autotrader and the like, but the ones at that price on Autotrader tend to sit there a while. 02 Reg, 39k, all original.

Oooh, nice low mileage there! Can't go wrong! I thought mine being 64 on an 01 plate was good!

I think insurance would be pretty high for a new driver buys probably ok for someone's second car once they've got some ncb

Yeah, Co-op do a young drivers thing, put a tracker in the car and it's dirt cheap.

Upto 1.6.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I've recently sold my 04 plate 1.2 on around 50k miles with 16" Team Dynamics and coilovers for £1100.

TBH, I thought that was a good price. So i think your ph1 is going to be around £600-800.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes its rare if Adam says so, but white dog turds are rarer than brown ones and yet still not valuable.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is probably the best post I have seen on Cliosp... wait, are you comparing my car to dog turd? FU!

Im comparing all these old clios (inc mine) to a dog turd in terms of resale values, and comparing yours to a white one specifically.