ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rainsport's in the snow

Titanium 182 FF
Anybody else find that they are really poor in the snow? I have a set on the 182 with plenty of tread left. I know that they are technically classed as a 'summer tyre'.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You will find that most tyres are bad when rolling in snow/ice conditions.

Drive to the conditions

Titanium 182 FF
I was driving to the conditions.... I was just trying to get up a medium incline in a car park in second gear and the front was completely washing wide. Then trying position into a parking space they were pretty useless. A few other instances too at low speeds where the lack of grip caught me unaware.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That doesn't mean the tyres are s**t though, more like the incline was too much for the car in those conditions.

Lower you tyre pressure, turn off TCS/ESP and don't let the tyres spin too much (although sometimes you need a bit of balanced slip)

Titanium 182
Mine are pretty much brand new and I struggled to get up my street yesterday when the road was just dusted in snow. We've had a load more overnight so I don't think I'll get home today unless I walk :rasp:

Superleggera'd MK3
Ive got budgets on and ended up in a bush on the way to work....then again, that might have been my fault :/

Golf GT & A4 Avant
In half fresh snow I've overtaken cars going up hill as they sit there wheel spinning. but then i did the same in p zeroNero, pe2 etc. No worse than any other decent tyre in snow.

Don't lower your tyre pressures, it'll make it worse as the weight of the car will be spread over a wider contact patch, which means less grip. That's why winter rally tyres are really skinny. More weight on a smaller contact patch helps to bite through the snow/ice.