ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Race cams?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Hi All

I am thinking about the next steps for my track car engine. Whilst I love turbo charged cars, I think I want to go ITB's and cams for the clio. I don't see many threads discussing race cams, as the car will spend its life on the track I was thinking about really hot cams instead of the usual 438/428/421's. Anyone have any experience? I expect I will also have to update valves and valve springs also but would welcome comments/criticism.

Thanks
Rhys.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You know you will need enlarged piston pockets as well I assume?

Forged is only realistic option as you will not get the best from hotter cams than that without increased CR.

Big rpm on these engines isnt easy to achieve sadly so that kind of limits the real effectiveness of very hot cams.

Assume you have a 10K ish sort of budget including diff/clutch rebuilt box etc? As TBH you will struggle to do a decent job for much less.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Hi Chip

Thanks for your comments... Actually I was unaware so thanks for explaining. I wasn't planning on that level of investment, probably half of that for the engine. Ideally I'd like around 210-220bhp, maybe this can be seen with cooler cams and less investment. This is more of a project for me, I'm certainly not in it to race it, just enjoy it!

​Cheers. Rhys.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
210-220 you can manage on a standard engine with a set of bodies and 421 which will fall much more into your budget, standard clutch is fine then too.

Pistons arent very well made so at some point you might get the issue a lot of people do with them breaking up although some conservative mapping and the loss of a few bhp can drastically increase your chances of getting away without this happening.