ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

R27 #177

Clio 197 BMW Msport
Nice car this mate. It is true though best thing you could spend on now is some tuition you'll be flying in no time! A diff in one of these would be great though, I'm still planning on fitting a Gripper this winter if I get a chance.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Nice car this mate. It is true though best thing you could spend on now is some tuition you'll be flying in no time! A diff in one of these would be great though, I'm still planning on fitting a Gripper this winter if I get a chance.

Cheers :)

I get tuition most days now. I obviously need more lol

I wasn't fussed about a diff at first but after joe took me out in his r26 and I felt the diff in action I was sold on the idea lol

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Not much of an update but after a breakdown at oulton on the 26th of last month, the car has been in a sorry state.

The car lost all power coming over hill top throwing up 'injection fault'
image.jpeg

An accident when getting towed off the track saw me facing the wrong way at lodge with the tow rope wrapped around my front hub, severing a brake line and pissing fluid everywhere. Brilliant.

We spent the day getting a new brake line and investigating a fuel pump thinking that was the issue.

Long story short, I got towed out of oulton by a nice chap, picked up at silly o'clock in the evening and had the car taken home.

The following week I got it diagnosed properly as having a misfire and a sensor fault, a few people said crank sensor, so I got that, a pencil coil and a set of plugs ordered.

When I popped the undertray off, a wire fell down, which was odd... It came from the crank sensor.

image.jpeg

Odd, plugged that in and tried to start it with no luck.

I found out why when I removed the old sensor;

image.jpeg

Proper job.

Got the new sensor fitted with the plugs and coil pencil and the car fired up, revved fine and didn't eat the new sensor. Ace.

But the car still had no brake fluid in, and the brake line I got in a hurry wasn't genuine and was a hell of a lot shorter than the OEM item, I didn't like this so I ordered some HEL braided lines and a new bleed nipple as my rear one seized in, turns out it was just tight as f**k. Mmm. Tight nipples.

This one had seen better days

image.jpeg

The joys of having no garage and using a van as a work light.

image.jpeg

I got the new lines and nipple fitted yesterday and filled the system with supergold fluid, job was a good un, no braking fault and a decent pedal feel.

Bad news, the rear brakes had seized on. f**king car. In my panic at getting the car home from the track I'd chucked the handbrake on without realising, so the new pads and discs I fitted a few months earlier had bound together.

I set about stripping and refitting the rear brakes today, wound the Pistons back (which was the problem) I think I'll need new rear callipers or a rebuild kit in the near future, persuaded the OEM brake brackets to accept the HEL bushes and took it for a test drive to see if it blew up. All was fine, no knocks or bangs and the steering is surprisingly straight considering it was spun around by the front hub.

I'll get the tracking done at some point along with chopping the centre silencer out, because the bracket on it is now facing the back of the car. No idea when that took a knock.

A couple of pictures from before it broke.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

All in, a crank sensor turned an awesome day at oulton into a nightmare. At least it's on the right track to being ready for next years track days.

/shed

For those interested, the standard Meg ate the Clio on upgraded brakes, tyres and suspension alive lol

Last edited:

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Glad it's sorted! Ever thought the meg issue might be down to the driver's? :wink:

My Senna impression needs work it seems

What happened with the towing on track then, how did it end up backwards at Lodge?

Since the engine wouldn't start I had no steering or brakes, as I found out, the ignition doesn't stay on indefinitely like on cars with keys.

I got it around Druids ok but when it me to lodge, the truck went right, I went straight, he stopped, I ran over the tow rope and when I touched the plastic mesh on the track edges it was game over lol.

Slippy as hell it was. I somehow managed to get a f**k load of left lock on to counteract the spin, but I still got twatted around.

I had my mates Mrs in the car with me too on her first track day haha! Poor lass

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Ignition does stay on.

Open the car, get in and touch nothing like the pedals etc. Key in and press and hold the start button for about 10-20 seconds and it'll go to proper ignition.

It's what you have to do when you're running diagnostics so it doesn't go off.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody hell!

Why doesn't the ignition stay on? On the Megane if you insert the card then hold the start button for a few seconds without the clutch depressed the ignition will come on and stay on until you double press the button iirc.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Bloody hell!

Why doesn't the ignition stay on? On the Megane if you insert the card then hold the start button for a few seconds without the clutch depressed the ignition will come on and stay on until you double press the button iirc.
It does as above. He just didn't know that.

#MechanicallyRetarded

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Good work. What happened to that sensor?!!?
I also wish i had a garage, CBA doing anything in the dark/cold! Next house it's a must!

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
Thinking about it more it could have taken a knock somewhere on track, not sure how but for it to have unplugged damaged and then maybe damaged the exhaust?
Then again we have no idea what damage the truck did if not all of it
As for the megane driver I agree 100% :grin:

Side note, its great to see it back on the road and even better than before

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The thing is it didn't even go pop on a hot lap. I was pootling around for a lap waiting for the m3 to catch up then it went a few corners later after the m3 went in.

Ah well lol

MartinL1993

ClioSport Moderator
The thing is it didn't even go pop on a hot lap. I was pootling around for a lap waiting for the m3 to catch up then it went a few corners later after the m3 went in.

Ah well lol

But just think how this has contributed into an excuse for upgrades!

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Just drive it like a BTCC racer would on track. All this pootling about kills it ;). Always room for more upgrades ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Small update.

As I've always hated black alloys and we've just set up a proper spray booth in work I thought it'd be rude to not sort out my speedlines

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

For my first attempt spraying properly and spraying properly with metallic paint, I don't think I laid the base coat too badly. The texture is all there so that's curing overnight then I'll put the lacquer on tomorrow to give them a nice gloss and depth.

The paint is bmw a52 space grey iirc, my colleague who I track day with is doing his wheels in it too after oulton this Saturday

These are the ones we'll be doing next. Sexy new tyres too

image.jpeg

...also, I fixed my splitter again and painted it gloss black. Full 17 year old spec.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Clio 197

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Such gloss much wow :smile: Seriously though they look great. I wasn't a fan of speedlines before but they've really grown on me. Definitely getting a set in the future

Much cup race look.

Thank you :D I can't wait to see them on

I was the same, didn't see the draw of them, but I got these at a silly good price and whenever I see Laguna silverstones I can't help but think they look like cheap knockoffs.

If you can, definitely get some. I think I'll put these on over summer now they're pretty.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
The car was brilliant today at oulton. It took me a while to get into the swing of things because I had the breakdown in the back of my head from last time.

But once I got going the car was epic, lacked pace but was brilliant under braking and cornering once everything was warm /generalclioshit

The only couple of pics I have so far are these
/wheelwhoring
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I just got some pictures through from oulton

It's crying out for spacers. I might clean it for the next track day

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I'm currently spraying the speaker surrounds to match the wheels as they were a little scratched.

For anyone interested, BMW space grey is a brilliant match for the r27 decals. Much better than oem anthracite.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
I have spacers on mine and do Trackdays whenever I am back. It compliments the other suspension mods and tyre set up quite well and feels great on track too. Mine is running 25mm H&R which I've never had a problem with since getting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Seen them fail on track. Well, in the pits anyway. Which was a pain in the arse for the guy. Honestly if you want spacers for the looks then feel free but personally I'd be taking them off for track use, less potential failure points the better.