ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick Q about using phone abroad

Just a quickie, for my travels I use a shitty blackberry, which I was hoping would be updated soon. But I've recently started taking my iphone with me too, mainly for games and photos. Now as soon as I board the plane, I set it to flight sfe mode, then leave it that way until I get back in the UK.

BUT....I would really like to use the GPS function, for tagging photos mainly.

So...if I turn OFF roaming, will it still access GPS? And I assume, if I don't use the phone (as a phone) it will not cost anything?

In a nutshell, I only want to use GPS, nothing else....but not cost anything.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I would have thought GPS is dependent on data being switched on. If you're abroad you'll also need your roaming bar lifted. Your best bet is to go into a store or call your provider for advice. Don't forget to switch off voicemail as you can incur unwanted costs that way too I think

Turn data off. Go outside. Take a picture. See what happens.

I think you need some sort of data connection for the location services to work but I'm not 100% certain.

A TomTom doesn't need a simcard/data connection for GPS location. I would have thought the phone would be able to get the long/lat co-ords without data.

It won't work in GoogleMaps as the phone downloads the map on the fly.

Should be fine, it uses AGPS initially but with data turned off it will skip that stage. Will probably take a couple of minutes to get a lock though,