ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick legality question

Titanium 182
Hi all, found a really nice 182 for sale, it's had everything done at the right time etc, immaculate condition, low miles (62k) but has had 5 previous owners, now the last owner had it from feb 2010 and I said do you remember what he exchanged it for, he thinks a type r, now that would make sense if maybe it was a size issue but am I allowed, by law to call the previous keeper and ask him about the car?

Thanks alot

Audi A3
if you can get his details i suppose you could

seems a bit odd mind although i dont think its breaking the law

Clio
You can ring who you like as long as you obtain his details legally. Don't tap his voicemails though. Thats illegal.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
The previous owners details will be on the V5.

Still, i think you're loco.

Titanium 182
I want to make sure he didnt just change due to a size issue, and exclude any issues with the car is all! its a 2.30hrs drive, so I want to just text and say can I ask about your previous car, and hopefully find out he didnt change due to a problem I might miss! Like I said its had 5 previous owners, I would be 6. I dunno, probably is a loco idea, probably want do it, just wanted to see legalitly around it:)

Titanium 182
What difference does it make? Does everyone have to sell a car to buy a totally different sized one?
I was just using it for an example of a reason he might of sold it, other than problems with the motor
lol like I would turn up and say "I dont want it as he sold to get a larger car" haha

Titanium 182
what do you mean by a size issue? its a clio ?
right, forget the size issue, im just paranoid as the car has changed hands alot of times is all. And was wondering if I could call the previous owner and say "why did you get rid in such a short space of time" and what I mean was that if he said "it was too small for me" then I would be fine to buy it, however if he said "it was knocking" or "the engine was fooked" then I would understand the quick changeover
Im just sick of travelling to view bloody cars and wasting so much fuel is all, Ive viewed loads now, and apart from the amount of previous keepers this one seems worth while

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Tbh if a prospective buyer of one of my previous cars called me up for info I'd be like: "lolwut?"

Edit: You're mental! My 172 has had 8 previous owners and has so far proven to be peachy apart from the parts you'd expect to need replacing.

Last edited:

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i think what u should do if u have concerns is pay for an inspection on the car prior to a potentially wasted long journey rather than phoning a previous owner. sounds like your being just a tad paranoid, people sell cars for lots of reasons, majority of the time just because they want a change.

PB Clio 172
Well the only way you will find out is by viewing it yourself ! My 172 has been in a crash before and had 5 owners and so bloodly what! its means nothing ! If you like the car you will buy it ! If you dont guess what you will walk away! do you ask a gf about her ex's before you go out with her ? :nono:

Titanium 182
well I wasnt gonna, it was an idea that then just got me wondering, so was just wondering if its actually legal, tbf its not really a bad idea, just slightly pyscho is all, if I had got shut of my old car and I knew of any issues I would happilly tell a possible buyer what I know, after the initial who the hell are you chat

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Pay for an inspection or take a mechanic with you and have a bloody good look over it.

Has it got lots of previous MOT certs? Service History? Repair Bills?

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
My first car had 12.

It soldiered on un-serviced, un-washed, un-cared for for 2 and a half years before I scrapped it. And it was french.

Titanium 182
Pay for an inspection or take a mechanic with you and have a bloody good look over it.

Has it got lots of previous MOT certs? Service History? Repair Bills?

yea loads of paperwork and fsh, paying for an inspection isnt a bad idea actually, my dad would usually accompany me (mechanic) however is quite ill at the moment so thats out of the question

thanks anyway all

BMW M4; S1000 RR
One of my relatives bought an M3 CSL (albeit from BMW) with 9 previous owners! At the time it was only 4 years old aswell. It had a new engine and wrong tyres, it screamed suspect, he got a good price though and in the end it turned out to be an absolute rocket!

Titanium 182
One of my relatives bought an M3 CSL (albeit from BMW) with 9 previous owners! At the time it was only 4 years old aswell. It had a new engine and wrong tyres, it screamed suspect, he got a good price though and in the end it turned out to be an absolute rocket!

rofl, win

Rusty Cup
If someone phoned me asking about my previous clio i wouldnt be all open and pleased about it, as a result i would end the conversation as quick as possible giving very little meaningful info. Others maybe different but thats how i would play it. Your right to be cautious as you dont want to buy a lemon but getting an AA check telling you the state of the car as it stands is much better than asking a previous owner random questions :)

Clio 172 Cup
I don't see any issue at all asking previous owner about it, it is a good indication of what it was like. I have spoken to loads of people about my past cars and had no issue with it at all.
I wouldn't let number of owners put you off either, I was in the trade for a number of years and some of the best cars had numerous owners, it is how they looked after it that matters more..............

172 cup
I wouldn't let the number of owners put you off too much,I think people in general but especially enthusiasts change car more often than used to be the case.

Cheers Ross.

RB 182
5 owners wouldn't and didnt put me off. It's less than 1 owner a year and these are the type of cars that change hands often. I've only once had a car for more than a year. I look after y cars much better than anyone I know and chop and change quite a lot. Generally its my friends that keep cars for years that don't tend to look after them as well as they should. Onr guy I know was the 2nd owner of a 206 and did 80k in it servicing it once. If something went wrong he'd ignore it until it was I drivable then fix it himself.

Last edited:
  S4, Tamora, Conti GT
182's are now 6/7+ years old now, whats the issue if its had 5 owners, thats not even 1 per year, like people have said instead of calling a previous owner just check though its service history and look for any gaps, and get a private inspection of the car.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
If it will ease your mind I don't see why you shouldn't get in contact with them.

Someone once phoned my dad months after he traded his motor in, to ask what the mileage was when he swapped it (i.e. to check it wasn't clocked).

02 Clio 172
A car with more owners is possibly more likely to be unloved as the car gets bought, ragged about and sold on quickly as the owner probably knows it needs a few bits doing, the cycle of ownership generally continues that way until the car gives up. The on other hand cars like 1*2's are bought as a step up from say a 1.2 Clio and are loved and cherished as a pride and joy for a year then there sold on to fund the next step up a Subaru or similar. I dont keep cars very long as I get board quickly but the 1st thing I do when buying a car is a full service and any odd jobs that need doing so it's really down to you to decide on the car, i'v always said you can have as much trouble with a new car as 2nd hand its just a chance you take

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
JakeyCUK are you actually going to buy a car or are you going to start a thread asking every (strange) question going?

ITs 2.5 hours away, its not in Poland. Go and have a look. Igf you like it, buy it. If you don't, then drive home.

Calling the previous owner isn't going to achieve anymore than what you can do by looking at the car/paperwork in person.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
People say they wont look at cars because they're too far away annoys me. England is tiny ffs.

Same. I remember when my dad and I were looking for a car for my mum. We drove from nottingham, to blackpool (no good) to lancaster (no good) to bolton (no good) back home for another search on the net - then found one in newark (about 45 mins away!)

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
People say they wont look at cars because they're too far away annoys me. England is tiny ffs.

This!

Didn't Gally travel from Scottishland to the Reading area to buy his Arch Wagon? Point is, if you really wanted the car, the journey, particularly 2.5 hours, would be nothing!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
So you going to call some random bloke (how are you going to get his phone number) to ask if he had a 'genuine reason for sale' ?!

Maybe he had cash waiting and was the first person to see his new car so he had to buy it.

It's a £3k French girls car, not an F40.

Go look at it, HPI it, drive it .. like it ? Buy it. If not, don't.

:rolleyes:

SQ5

So glad someone else sees It this way.

I hate people moaning and saying things like, your going all the way to London for a car, it's an hour and a half FFS!

I once drove to Bristol, 4 hours away, to a 172 I knew f**k all about except it had an MOT and tax, went on a whim as it was cheap and drove it home, was a bit of a state but f**k it.

I wouldn't hesitate driving anywhere for a car to be honest, I've driven to RSTuning more times than I care to remember too, it's only 3 1/2 hours. That's f**k all! In America you'd be lucky to cross a state in that time!

Listerine & Poledo
When I got my MX-3 I used directory enquiries to call the llast owner on the registration.

They gave me a list of niggles I should get fixed if the garage hadn't pointed them out, which they hadn;t. Big bill avoided!

If their contact details are in hte public-domain you'll be fine.