ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Quick HID question

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
10xsnjn.jpg

The plugs on the chair go from bulb to ballast, what's the others in my hand for? It goes from the plug in my hand to the tabs in my hand?

Thanks

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Quick question - do you have projector headlights? if not, put that kit in the bin. If you do thwen carry on! lol

Sorry but can't help with the fitting.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
From memory they just go into the connectors inside the actual headlight unit. They are sized differently so you can't install them incorrectly.

And yes, do you have projector lenses?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Amos91 Chrisgti6 yes I have projectors :) hate people who dazzle other drivers with incorrectly fitted HIDS! I'm assuming those connectors are just spares really? The bulb has the two wires that come out with the plug sitting on the seat, that then fits perfectly into the ballast plug and the ballast has a plug that goes into the cars bulb holder. Correct?

Not sure if those other two wires could be for if you use a different bulb/ballast choice? It was all as a kit! No instructions though in the box :(

McGherkin sorry to bother you but I know you're the master of HIDS and bulbs ;)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Some headlights are completely sealed, with the bulb and power connector inside the sealed unit. But of course the ballast wouldn't fit inside the unit with the bulb so you'd drill a hole for that grommet in the cover and mount the ballast outside. But it doesn't matter for the Clio as the bulb connections are outside the sealed unit anyway.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Some headlights are completely sealed, with the bulb and power connector inside the sealed unit. But of course the ballast wouldn't fit inside the unit with the bulb so you'd drill a hole for that grommet in the cover and mount the ballast outside. But it doesn't matter for the Clio as the bulb connections are outside the sealed unit anyway.

The Mk3 they're a sealed unit, just confused about the other two wires I understand the grommet stuff :)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The two wires go from the ballast to the power connector inside the headlight. But I've not heard of anyone having to drill out covers so I'm not sure you need to. Someone else can confirm that.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
The two wires go from the ballast to the power connector inside the headlight. But I've not heard of anyone having to drill out covers so I'm not sure you need to. Someone else can confirm that.

Don't think you get what i mean haha, look at the first post photos. There's four wires going through the rubber grommet, I get where you put the grommet etc and know you have to drill a hole in the rear dust cap on the headlight that the grommet then goes into (been looking on 197.net). What I don't get though is there is four wires going through the grommet, four coming out each side, two go to the bulb on one side,and the ballast on the other side, but as you can see from the pic this leaves two spare wires which as far as I can see serve no purpose at all?

3 Series touring
Those two in your hand in the photo plug into the original non HID bulb holder to provide power to the ballast.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Those two in your hand in the photo plug into the original non HID bulb holder to provide power to the ballast.

That's the one on the seat, theres two cables in my hand, both don't go anywhere at all its just that plug in my hand leading to the two pins in my hand, nothing on either end.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
hidkit.png

But if you can connect the power connector directly to the ballast then you don't need the other cable.

Thanks for that excellent diagram! That's basically the cables I have on the chair leading to the bulb, so that diagram doesn't involve any of the cables in my hand and can be made purely with the cables on the chair, so I'm guessing the spare cables there must be for other bulbs/ballasts or something as they're just spare really... confused me a bit haha wondered why they'd be spare on a kit but now that's cleared it up for me with that diagram :) I can make that whole circuit and somehow have those cables in my hand left over :s

edit: so is that spare cable basically an extension to allow you to put the ballast inside the headlamp unit/the other side of the grommet on some cars?

edit: im a noob I understand now I forgot power obviously came out the headlamp into the ballast

Last edited:
  2003 Clio 172 Cup
How on earth do you think the ballast gets power??? The two spades plug into you original H7 bulb connector....
Seriously, did you think they're powered by fairies?

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
How on earth do you think the ballast gets power??? The two spades plug into you original H7 bulb connector....
Seriously, did you think they're powered by fairies?

Nope, thought you'd take the wire out that connects into the bulb and plug that directly into the ballast. Didn't think there'd be an extension and assumed if there was it'd have a plug on both ends not two spade connectors

2003 Clio 172 Cup
luckily the connectors are all pretty straightforward and only plug into each other in the correct way. They only use the spades because that's the most straightforward way to cover all H7 plugs.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, thought you'd take the wire out that connects into the bulb and plug that directly into the ballast.

That's the most preferable option. But if you can't get the connector to the ballast (because it's sealed behind a cover), you can use the extension and cut the cover.

E.G. the Corsa C needs the covers drilled.
30wa1ax.jpg

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
That's the most preferable option. But if you can't get the connector to the ballast (because it's sealed behind a cover), you can use the extension and cut the cover.

E.G. the Corsa C needs the covers drilled.
30wa1ax.jpg

Ah I see, I'm going to keep the rubber dust caps on the headlight and drill them, then use the extension cable then to keep the dust caps, I was planning to just get rid of the dust caps and plug the ballast straight into the headlight connector, hence the confusion!

Clio 1.2
Why does everyone moan about projectors? I know it blinds but who cares, free for all on the road is thr way i see

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Why does everyone moan about projectors? I know it blinds but who cares, free for all on the road is thr way i see

You are, to put it politely, a f**king idiot.

So you are happy to blind everyone else on the road? So when they're coming towards you, can't see anything due to the blinding light, and therefore can't see the road and their position on it and end up running head on into you, is that still OK? Fcuking superb, I'll buy myself a Volvo.

FYI the police also don't take too kindly to being blinded either.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch

You're totally right, free for all, who needs car insurance for when you accidently hit that small child, because after all its "free for all" isn't it, who needs to pay road tax because obviously it's free for all, so it's also free for highways to tarmac roads and mend potholes (albeit rarely!), maybe one day youll be in a crash with an uninsured driver and im sure youll get out and say "hey mate nevermind itll tcut out, free for all after all" ;) bit of a selfish attitude really, treat others like you wanna be treated is what I was always taught! Bet if I came driving past you with my high beams on you'd be swearing to yourself in your car or getting annoyed, but I may as well because it's free for all remember :)

edit: bad day rant over

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
You are, to put it politely, a f**king idiot.

So you are happy to blind everyone else on the road? So when they're coming towards you, can't see anything due to the blinding light, and therefore can't see the road and their position on it and end up running head on into you, is that still OK? Fcuking superb, I'll buy myself a Volvo.

FYI the police also don't take too kindly to being blinded either.

It's alright, when they run head on into him it doesn't matter it's free for all remember so it'll be free to get his car fixed

Clio 1.2
LOL. You all need to calm down I'm happy with my HIDs and I really couldnt give two sh*ts what you over excited pedal pushers think. Its for my safety to have them lights as I do alot of night time driving, If I hit someone or someone hits me due to me blinding them then well life goes on doesn't it.

Clio 1.2
It's all about what I like and quite frankly I couldnt care less what any of you think. I like my HIDs in my non-projector lights and I bet you'll like them too when you see them coming towards you on a dark un-lit road straight in your face.

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
It's all about what I like and quite frankly I couldnt care less what any of you think. I like my HIDs in my non-projector lights and I bet you'll like them too when you see them coming towards you on a dark un-lit road straight in your face.

Why not post your reg plate then we can all be sure to high beam you in the face because we all know you'd like that :)

Nissan 350z

You are right, a ball of blinding light coming towards you is much better than being able to see the road infront of you!

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL. You all need to calm down I'm happy with my HIDs and I really couldnt give two sh*ts what you over excited pedal pushers think. Its for my safety to have them lights as I do alot of night time driving, If I hit someone or someone hits me due to me blinding them then well life goes on doesn't it.

And this is a classic example of why we need an IQ test in the sign-up process.

Clio 1.2
You all still banging on? Oh god you'd think you would all have work during the day to do like normal people and not sit here and bitc* over a light bulb?! HA!

S4 Avant
I like this thread. I can smell the stupidity from here.

"if I hit some one from blinding them, life goes on" utter utter genius.