ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project: BMW E21.

Nothing overly exciting today:

8682080656_8aefd7619e_c.jpg

8680966981_228ca6f829_c.jpg

8680965467_e4c7eb6b20_c.jpg

Struggling to get the bushes out of the new control arms. Going to try sawing them out over the weekend.

A change to my personal life now means I have a lot of spare time, so hopefully progress should pick up to a decent rate soon :)

Random Q and you might have answered it but have you changed the rubber brake lines?

Nope.

The "plan" (if I can really call it that) is to get the car rolling again and usable, then I'll get started on upgrading parts once it's a rolling project.

Braided hoses/brake upgrade are among the many plans!

Clio
Sorry about that post ed ! I'm a new dad (3 weeks) and I drunk a bottle of wine for the first time in a year.

cars coming on lovely, loads of good prep work gone into ths :eek:

Have you been dumped ? If so carry on with the BMW and drive it into her house !

Subtle as a brick Tez!

Sorry about that post ed ! I'm a new dad (3 weeks) and I drunk a bottle of wine for the first time in a year.

cars coming on lovely, loads of good prep work gone into ths :eek:

No worries, congrats on the little'un :)

Sorted the control arms out today.

Original rubbers were destroyed, arms were looking rough, and threads were rusty.

8686441187_2da7434d59_c.jpg

8686440357_372f6acf58_c.jpg

Popped down to a local car place, picked up a pair of random ball joints for a couple of quid:

8687555442_0d69fecf80_c.jpg

Burnt the rubber out of the ARB to control arm bushes, then hacksawed the metal sleeve out. Tried a socket and vice, it would not move at all.

Metal sleeve certainly bit the dust:

8687562544_e8c87acd00_c.jpg

A bit of a clean with the wire brush, some hammerite, new rubber boots on the ball joints, and new polybushes :)

8686445527_4963c73b28_c.jpg

Better than stock :)

Nice work dude, slow and steady but it must be so rewarding seeing it get closer every time you're out there.

Yeah, I've fully tripped up recently, female s**t has probably put me a month behind where I wanted to be.

Lots to catch up with.

Can't wait to have this mint for Trax.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
People say you can put a s**t load of money into modifying/restoring a car and you often don't see all of it back when you sell, but you can plough just as much into a woman and when it's time to get rid of her you don't get a penny.

And people say cars are a waste of money FFS.

People say you can put a s**t load of money into modifying/restoring a car and you often don't see all of it back when you sell, but you can plough just as much into a woman and when it's time to get rid of her you don't get a penny.

And people say cars are a waste of money FFS.

f**king. A. To. That.
:cheers:

Got the ARB all fitted up today.

Was going to fit the coilovers today, but my hubs don't fit, I was told they would but it turns out I need 323 ones. :mad:

Anyway:

8688301735_d40a76cbb2_c.jpg

Yet another delay.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It's stupidly dusty at the minute too. When you see it in the sunlight on parts that are clean it looks so god damn good.

​I can't wait till it's on the road again.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Not seen this for a week now. I might pop over one day this week when you're working on it.

I'll not lie, I'll probably bring a chinese again so I can sit there eating it whilst you all slave over the car.

Some progress.

Yesterday myself and Christopher got to work on the suspension. Namely, fitting the new dampers.

First off, it was a fraught day, everything we tried to do just went up the wall.

- New ARB doesn't fit, had to revert back to my original one and clean the threads up on the control arms.
- Coilovers appear to be missing a thread on the caliper mounting bracket, need to investigate further.
- 323i hubs I bought so the 323i coilovers would fit, have a cross-threaded wheel bolt hole.
- Retaining screw on the 323i discs was rounded to hell, and I had to angle grind it out, meaning the thread is still in the hub.

All in all, a tedious day, that said, we did achieve victory:

8707811360_b7ee0e3d06_c.jpg

With the wing test fitted:

8706687743_719dd1dfa5_c.jpg

8706669029_a44f6961f4_c.jpg

Need to do some work on the wing, it doesn't seem to quite fit properly atm.

I'll get some better pictures of the front suspension over the rest of the weekend.

Got the door stops on too:

8706686459_56dbd41c08_c.jpg

Still lots to do, but it's getting there, if a little slowly!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Can you not put a bit of rattle can silver on the door lock thingies? They look minging up to the immaculate paint!

Can you not put a bit of rattle can silver on the door lock thingies? They look minging up to the immaculate paint!

I started with all that sort of thing. I've started realising that doing that, will leave me with this thing finished in 2 years! In the interest of getting it finished, I've got to accept a few things won't look brand new. Not just yet anyway.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
I started with all that sort of thing. I've started realising that doing that, will leave me with this thing finished in 2 years! In the interest of getting it finished, I've got to accept a few things won't look brand new. Not just yet anyway.

Precisely this. It's not a big job to take them off at a later date and paint them. Get it to a driving project first.

You know who your real mates are when they're prepared to stay and help hang some 36 year old doors while I shout and bark orders.

Massive thanks lads, today was fantastic. Great progress, great effort, this thing is going to look the fecking dogs!

8711143117_8cbe7fd774_c.jpg

8711141547_1918e34e5d_c.jpg

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
When your ready you can send off a bag of bits to get plated, they do "clear" (sliver to us) or yellow (gold to us) for about £30.
Its not worth spray painting tbh as it wont last (bits like door catches)

I got my Clio wheel bolts done while my wheels where away being powder coated, that was almost 2 years ago now and they still look like new.

Great project btw, your doing a cracking job.