ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Project #56; Clio Trophy

I decided to finally order myself a new steering rack. I've been thinking about doing it for a while and when I saw this at a very decent price I decided to buy it. This should tighten the front end of the car no end (considering parts of the current rack have done 101k now). I'm very very pleased with it and its much better than I thought it was going to be, It's never been fitted and is still brand new. Looking forward to getting it fitted.

SDC18756.jpg

SDC18751.jpg

SDC18752.jpg

SDC18753.jpg

After two months of owning the new Steering rack I finally got around to getting the car book into Birchdown. Car went in on Friday and had the new rack fitted and new PAS fluid, car feels much sharper and there's more steering weight. I'm glad I got it done as at was a bargain and the front end doesn't feel like it wants to wander around on every ripple in the road now.

I got a few photo's the other day, currently on 103k.

8015959313_f7e032c343_z.jpg

Clio Trophy by Jon Garrett, on Flickr

8015958911_d09b18ddbe_z.jpg

8015959978_6bbbeab6c8_z.jpg

8015958331_0771311897_z.jpg

8015958749_5194abc11b_z.jpg

Clio Trophy Interior by Jon Garrett, on Flickr

I've organised a rolling road day for the 21st October, so I'm going to see what its running now after I had the head rebuilt. It feels quicker, but we'll see.

Since having the steering rack fitted I had a steering angle sensor issue. SERV and ESP light has been on all the time. Birchdown said it would just need to be re-calibrated, something they tried to do and couldn't. However, I got in contact with Mick at Diamond Motors and took the trip down last weekend to get it re-calibrated on a CLIP. However we looked into it and the SAS was 81000degrees out. Yes! 81 THOUSAND. Looks like Birchdown had properly screwed it up!

Mick couldn't reset it as it was just too far gone, he advised a used SAS would go straight on and clear the issue.

I bought a used SAS and squib from Renparts in the week, great service from them, came next day. Got round to fitting it today, following a guide on here it was pretty easy. Hit a little snag in the middle as I thought I needed to undo something, but it turns out I didn't. Anyway, its on now. All the markings are aligned as they should be, unlike before, and all the lights are off. So I've now got ESP back!

New SAS and Squib:

IMG_1571.jpg

Lots of parts!!

525876_10152181383990244_1057034205_n.jpg

EFI RR day tomorrow, so hopefully going to see if the engine is strong after the rebuild.

I think they put the SAS on at the wrong angle as 0 wasn't in the window of the SAS when the wheel was straight. It was a whole revolution out. Then they tried to re-calibrate it like that and the whole thing through a fit and fucked up.

Just about to send them an email and update them on how I got on with it, as they wanted to know.

Fair enough, they're decent guys and all that, possibly just one of those things.

Good that it's done now as it would've played on my mind, as I know it would yours.

Fair enough, they're decent guys and all that, possibly just one of those things.

Good that it's done now as it would've played on my mind, as I know it would yours.

Yeah, wasn't really fussed by it as it still drove the same. Actually a bit more fun as ESP was always off :eek: However, it needed sorting for when I eventually sell it.

Done that a few times myself Jon, it's looking good!

Any particular reason why?

Cheers.

Ah, they keep coming back on?

Ahah, its come into play a few times before, but most of the time its more fun without as its more predicable, as you know it'll just spin a wheel rather than one down.

Ah, they keep coming back on?

Ahah, its come into play a few times before, but most of the time its more fun without as its more predicable, as you know it'll just spin a wheel rather than one down.

Yeah, it's a strange one, but I'm just going to change everything eventually.

No, they can be cut off. Mine are fine though, bar one small piece missing on the right grip. So I just slid the CF thumb grips over the top of them.

:eek: cheers!

It's obviously no mint low mileage example and the 103k does show in some areas. But I've tried to look after it as best as possible.

Need to stick my graph up!

I organised another Rolling Road day at EFI-Parts for last sunday. I also thought about sticking the Trophy on because it's head all that engine work done at the start of the year. It's done 5k since the head was rebuilt and I'm not running a CAT. I expected similar results and thats pretty much what I got.

At RSTuning last year:
Power2.jpg

Now:
8121697489_11146b32fd_c.jpg

EFI_RR_Printout by Jon Garrett, on Flickr

So I've lost 3bhp, but thats probably down to having the CAT in place and the variance in rollers. In comparison to the other 182's that were running it was well up there, so it's no slouch.

James and Naill got a few photo's of it for me, I was a bit busy organising!

8113817674_4481e1dcf8_c.jpg

IMG_6227 by James 5D MK2, on Flickr

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Looked great at EFI mate, shame you made more power than me.. Stupid timing :(

Megane R26
Just wondering with regard to fitting the new SAS and squib did you take the car to a garage for it to be calibrated? I fitted the same parts to mine several months ago but still have all my lights on....:mad:

bloody stunning in that last picture!!

Cheers, that was taken by Niall.

Nice result, give me a shout if you organize another rolling road day anytime :)

Will do. Could always see if the guys over on CT would want a day doing? I probably wouldn't run again, but I don't mind organising it.

Looked great at EFI mate, shame you made more power than me.. Stupid timing :(

Cheers! Shame it was more? Not sure why ;)

You getting your timing sorted then?

Looks awsome mate. Really nice example of a trophy, credit to you.

Cheers! :eek:

Shame about the gap between your front splitter and bumper where you can see daylight, that would really annoy someone who is a little OCD about their car. I'm sure your fine with it though. ;)

Urgh! I was going to 'shop that but didn't want to ruin the photo. I need to put another screw in there to get rid of that. I was hoping nobody would notice :(

Love that last picture. How clean are my old headlights eh ;)

They're JUST starting to get a tiny bit of UV crazing on them now :( Look mint though!

Just wondering with regard to fitting the new SAS and squib did you take the car to a garage for it to be calibrated? I fitted the same parts to mine several months ago but still have all my lights on....:mad:

Nope, I just bought it from RenParts fitted it and was fine. I know Feirny replaced his SAS/Squib etc and his lights stayed on. He got it plugged into a CLIP and calibrated it and they're gone. Did you buy new or used? If you bought them new they WILL need calibrating to the car.