ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Problems fitting rear discs and pads (182)

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
I went out today to change the discs and pads on the rear of my 182. I bought genuine Renault discs and halfords pads. I got everything off no problem, fitted the new disc no problem. I went to put the new pads and holder back on, but I can't get the 2 bolt holes to line up. It looked to me like the outside pad was too thick, so I got a micrometer and measured it. 11mm on the button, just as Renault specify. The two bolts I'm talking about are the ones with the red arrows (pic stolen from guide):

181220071002-1.jpg

I've wound the piston back so there's plenty of space, so that's not the problem. It looks like the outside pad is too thick and won't allow the holder to move over enough, but as I've said they are the Renault specified thickness.

I'm not exactly Joe Mechanic, but I'm not sure where I've gone wrong :S

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
havent cange the pads in a clio yet but look identical to others ive done.

you dont need to undo the bolts arrowed in red.
are the pads handed? some ive seen have been.
are you fitting the spring clips on after.

Shhh
Pads can go either way, aslong as the lug is in the right way for the handbrake.

How about you push the piston in further, ie right in with the handbrake off. Need large screwdriver and turn it in.

Then put pads in, with the aid of a hammer etc.

Is the caliper assembly free to move on the slider pins?? ie move from left to right (and vice-versa) in the pic??

Recaro'd 182
Is the caliper assembly free to move on the slider pins?? ie move from left to right (and vice-versa) in the pic??

as above they slide on the caliper assembly from green arrow points. just give it a tap

as above they slide on the caliper assembly from green arrow points. just give it a tap

I didn't try that, I'm sure that's what it will be! It's getting dark now but I'll try this tomorrow. Many thanks!

I had to remove the bolts as I was replacing the disc as well.

It would be worth taking the slider pins out anyway and giving them a good clean and some fresh grease.

good idea to make sure the tiny boots over the sliders are located over their lips after you've done as well, as they easily pop off whilst fiddling

Thanks guys, I took the pins out and put some grease on them. They had no grease at all on them, and they've not been off since the car left the factory. The caliper seems to slide a little easier now.

I got it all put back together, it was still a very tight fit. The pads seem a little tight against the disc, but I assume they will slacken off once I get some miles on them.