ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Probing for advice...

Hi, im new around here and want to jump right in and get you wide knowledge and expertise.

I dont own a car yet, I dont have my license "yet" (But I plan on getting that sorted by Dec/Jan.) and Im 17.

I am looking to buy the new-new-shape Renault Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique (opinions?). I like the look of the body and it basically offers me all mod cons I want.
My problems are:

Insurance -
Whats fully comp likely to set me back at first car, no ncb (obviously), a ball park figure? I am assuming anything £2k+.
Would Pass plus give me a bigger advantage with a new car?
I know I could phone some compnaies up, but Id rather not waste anyones time and be blown off when they realise I dont even have a license yet.

Model -
Is that a sensible model to go for, seeing as its my first car and Im a ameteur to the driving world. Especially when fine tuning and knowing what I can expect to get out of it in a few years.

Modifications -
Would modifying the body of the car and/or interior raise my insurance premiums enough to make a difference?
Id like to put a nice ICE in and tidy up the exterior to my liking a little more (no huge rims just yet :))
If its going to be rediculous ill wait a year

Where to buy? -
Can you suggest a decent place to buy a newish Clio that I specify that isnt going to rip me off and will guarentee a decent motor for my first car?

Ill have about £3k - £5k to spend on the car alone.

Ill be checking this regularly so give me some nice feedback guys (& girls), cheers.

-Sim

I think its an ideal first car. Having had one myself.

Only group 2/3 insurance, so you are not really going to get much cheaper.
How old are you though ?

Mods are always going to cost more, it depends what mods you do tho. Personally the only mod i would do i colour code to be honest.

CTR-GT (FN2)

Quote: Originally posted by phunkey_monkeh on 11 August 2004

I think its an ideal first car. Having had one myself.

Only group 2/3 insurance, so you are not really going to get much cheaper.
How old are you though ?

Mods are always going to cost more, it depends what mods you do tho. Personally the only mod i would do i colour code to be honest.
Speaking of colour coding, I need to get mine done, anyone know of any good places to go to have it done in Essex (near Harlow would be best). Renault in Harlow said they aint got a body shop on site but use a local one called PWP Coachworks, anyone heard of em b4?

172 cup'd extreme

Pass plus will help you but get quotes with and without it before you pay to take it, my first insurance was 1125 without and 890 with so it was worth the 80 notes for the pass plus.

you could easily get a 1.2 16v 02 or even 52 for 5 grand, mine is an extreme paid 5000 cash for it 20k on the clock and 02 plate.

and many insurance companies wont cover mods until your 19.

good luck!

clio 182

sounds like a nice steady first car pal wouldnt like to guess the insurance price one piece of advice dont be like many other 1.2 clio drivers on the road and try racing the clio sport models cos it is a pointless experdition and gets very teedius good luck m8;)

Insurance will probably set you back anywhere between £1k and £1.5k depending on where you live, where its kept overnight, etc.. Plus factors like excess, named drivers, pass plus, etc.

This is just me, but the only reason i didnt buy a new clio right off the bat when i passed my test was because i knew that within a year or so id be after more power, better handling, etc. So it depends, if you think youre going to be happy with this car for a good few years, then go for it. If you think that within a year or so youll be needing that little extra under the bonnet, then you could always buy something like a mid 90s 1.2 or 1.4 clio. You can get them for silly money these days, and then sell them on for virtually the same price when youve got a bit of driving experience/you want a faster motor.

Quote: Originally posted by Sim04 on 11 August 2004

unless u meant the above amount for modding u wont find a new dynamique for that money, if u really want the dynamique ull have to go a couple of years old

Jay

don't

m8 u can get insurance quotes, just tell them u have just passed ur test etc

when i was getin quotes 4 the g/f ages ago i just lied 2 them 2 get the quotes

buy a 1.2, keep it standard; doubt insurance companies will allow you to mod at 17, build up no claims, buy something a bit quicker in a few years

Quote: Originally posted by boyracer666 on 12 August 2004
Quote: Originally posted by Sim04 on 11 August 2004

unless u meant the above amount for modding u wont find a new dynamique for that money, if u really want the dynamique ull have to go a couple of years oldJay

Im looking for 2000 - 2004. Im fairly sure Ill get a new-new-shape Clio for £3k - £5k. Ive seen a lot around the £5.5k mark. In 6 months ill be ready to buy and they should be around £4.5k

*hopefully*

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 12 August 2004
buy a 1.2, keep it standard; doubt insurance companies will allow you to mod at 17, build up no claims, buy something a bit quicker in a few years

Im planning a 1.2 16v because itll offer room for upgrades in a year or 2. I plan on keeping it for at least a year and then moving onto something with a little more bite. By then Ill have more knowledge about what I can do with my car to get more out of it then. ;)

Ill be 18 when I buy anyhow. So that should help.

Not a Clio

just a thought but have you considered buying a cheap run around for your first few months/year of driving after you pass. Youll still be learning to drive even after you pass your test and accidents can and will happen.

It would be far less gutting to bump a cheap car than a new/newish clio.

As I say thats just a thought :)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member

If you factor in the cost of insurance, why not consider getting a brand new one from Renault with the free insurance.

Pass plus knocks money off with Direct Line for deffinate, but I dunno about anyone else.

Try a lot of companies, as other people have said, just say that ou can drive, and the car that you are gonna get etc.

HIC are pretty good, but I dont know their number off hand.

Insurance for me on my fiesta (1.25, grp 3) was £1600 without pass plus and £1300 with, so deffinately worth it.

I would deffinately get it insured fully comp, new driver have a tendancy to write their cars off, I know i wrote off my fiesta 8 months after I had it, so well pleased I was fully comp.

Some insurance companies dont charge for mods like colour coding, however, a lot of the big companies do, I changed from direct line because they woudlnt let me put any alloys on, after saying that I could.

My only advice is make sure you take someone who knows about cars when you go to look at one, remember the auctions as well, you can get nearley new cars there pretty cheap, ex-fleet cars etc.