ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Preventative maintenance - have i missed anything?

Trophy, Audi TT,
After buying a Trophy a couple of weeks ago I have been servicing it and doing some preventative maintenance. So far I have:-

Replaced the cam and axillary belts and the tensioners
stripped and re-built all the calipers
Changed the brake fluid
oil and filter
gearbox oil change
Changed the plugs
Flushed the coolant and changed the antifreeze.
Checked the track front and rear
Checked the camber front and rear
I am about to have the air con re-gassed tomorrow

Its been so easy doing this on my new hoist, no more scrabbling around on the floor!

Is there anything else you guys think I should change, service or do?

Is there a pollen filter?

clio on hoist.jpg

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Preventative maintenance would have been changing the dephaser, water pump and pas pump surely since if they go your still going to have to change the cambelt or aux belt again!

Trophy, Audi TT,
The hoist was £1500. It lifts over a meter high which is enough to comfortably do brakes and suspension standing up, but also I can work comfortably underneath. It lifts up to 3000KG (lifts my BMW 7 series easily...) and it goes down low enough to drive over so I can still get 2 cars in the garage. here is a bit better photo with my Elise on.

garage floor.JPG

Trophy, Audi TT,
Preventative maintenance would have been changing the dephaser, water pump and pas pump surely since if they go your still going to have to change the cambelt or aux belt again!

I did think about it, its done 66K miles. I guess as labor costs for me are zero, I decided against it. maybe i should have done them!

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
If its been well serviced with correct oil dephaser will last forever, its over hyped on here.

Fuel filter is in the tank btw, doesnt need changing till 144k iirc

The hoist was £1500. It lifts over a meter high which is enough to comfortably do brakes and suspension standing up, but also I can work comfortably underneath. It lifts up to 3000KG (lifts my BMW 7 series easily...) and it goes down low enough to drive over so I can still get 2 cars in the garage. here is a bit better photo with my Elise on.

View attachment 46939

I want one of those.

Something Not French
After buying a Trophy a couple of weeks ago I have been servicing it and doing some preventative maintenance. So far I have:-

Replaced the cam and axillary belts and the tensioners
stripped and re-built all the calipers
Changed the brake fluid
oil and filter
gearbox oil change
Changed the plugs
Flushed the coolant and changed the antifreeze.
Checked the track front and rear
Checked the camber front and rear
I am about to have the air con re-gassed tomorrow

Its been so easy doing this on my new hoist, no more scrabbling around on the floor!

Is there anything else you guys think I should change, service or do?

Is there a pollen filter?

View attachment 46938

Complete waste of time and money. Unless there is a leak in the system, and the gas has escaped this is pointless. The gas doesn't lose any effectiveness over time. Have you ever regassed your fridge?

Trophy, Audi TT,
Complete waste of time and money. Unless there is a leak in the system, and the gas has escaped this is pointless. The gas doesn't lose any effectiveness over time. Have you ever regassed your fridge?

Not a good comparison, A fridge is a sealed unit, with no joints, stable environment, internally sealed compressor.... used all the time. very different to a car. Besst to have them serviced every 3 years, replace/replenish the gas and add some more lubricant.

this helps prevent more expensive problems developing

Clio dCi65 Dynamique
My pollen filter was rank! Easy enough to get to, well overdue tho... ;) Dont think it had ever been done!

DSC04348.jpg

And yes - it was originally white....

Black Gold Trophy
Fuel filter is in the tank and doesn't need changing until 150k or something stupid.
I'd also recommend changing the PAS fluid and being 'preventive' with the bodywork, clean all the arches etc and waxoyl plus clay the bodywork and protect

Trophy, Audi TT,
How many cars do you have??

We have the Trophy, a BMW 7 Series, an Audi TT 225 and a Toyota Corolla which is the family pool car! I have just sold our Elise 111R and a Caterham HPC with a 210 BHP Swindon Vauxhall engine. there are a few pictures of the cars at:-

www.jtccc.co.uk

Continuing with the maintenance on the Trophy...

I have changed the pollen filter although it was not too bad - cheap to change though

The air con man found a leak on the system after he re-gassed it... one of the filler valves was leaking. he went over the entire system with his probe (ooohhhh errr !) and it all seemed OK until he went over the top of one of the valves... the machine beeped like mad! he replaced the valve, which meant a complete evacuation of the system, hopefully this is the reason there was no gas in the system. we will see! he said the good thing with the older systems is that once the system pressure drops below a certain value, the system prevents the compressor cutting in and therefore prevents damage.

I will be changing the Power steering fluid as soon as I can work out how to drain it!

Black Gold Trophy
I think the best thing to do is get the car up the air and undo one of the unions on the rack and drain it.
I need to do mine soon, if I get on it first I'll let you know.