ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Predictions: GT2/LP560/430 Scuderia

Tav

Clio 197
Predictions: GT2/LP560/430 Scuderia

A couple of months ago I entered a competition on http://www.drivers-republic.com to go on a magazine feature/shoot for the new Lamborghini LP560-4.

Which is quickest around Silverstone's GP circuit - Porsche 997 C2S, Audi R8 or Aston V8 Vantage? Tell us and you could be joining DR on the UK test of the Lambo LP560-4.

We're getting our hands on the new Porsche 997 Carrera 2S with PDK on Wednesday 23rd July and we'll be putting it up against rivals from Aston and Audi. There will be extensive road driving of course, but on Wednesday evening we will be lapping all three cars around the Silverstone GP circuit.

The specs. are as follows:
  • Porsche C2S with PDK, PASM Sport suspension and lsd, ceramic brakes
  • Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Sport Pack and Sportshift
  • Audi R8 (manual) with magnetic ride
"Which will be quickest and what time (to the nearest tenth) will that car set?"

For reference the Audi RS6 managed an impressive 2:17.1 around Silverstone in our previous track test.

The member who chooses the correct car AND gets closest to the lap time set on Wednesday evening will be invited along to our first UK drive of the Lamborghini LP560-4.​
I cracked open EVO and checked out lap times from Bedford Autodrome. Watched the RS6 lap on DR's video page. Made some assumptions about the time savings available with PDK. Quickly wrote off the Aston. Pondered the benefits of four wheel drive on a dry circuit....and hedged my bets on the Audi R8.

Somehow, with a huge dollop of luck despite all of the above pondering, I managed to predict not only the correct car, but the winning lap time to within two 1/100ths of a second. This is the second time I've won a competition that involved guessing lap times. The previous year I was lucky enough to attended Dunlop Race Academy after correctly predicting the pole position lap time for a BTCC race at Snetterton.

Fast forward a couple of weeks....

The Lamborghini has been joined by a Porsche 911 GT2 and Ferrari 430 Scuderia. I've just driven 400miles from Aberdeen to Bruntingthorpe air field in a Kia Cee'd Diesel hire car. I'm sitting in a Porsche 911 GT2 at foot Bruntingthorpes 2mile runway, revs being held by the launch control as the turbos build up the boost pressure. Clutch up - 3.8seconds - 60mph - 7.8 seconds - 100mph.

Ten minutes later I'm looking at the VBOX attached to the window of the Lamborghini and it's reading 187mph as we start braking for the upcoming corner.

My introduction to the world of super cars could not have been any more mind bending or exciting!

This part of my trip of was captured in the August preview video for the upcoming feature which you can watch here: (turn your speakers up to enough the noise!) http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=cf4b02691f3d4c0b9404e369368b24cb&area=videos

After spending most of the day at Bruntingthorpe we headed to Silverstone Race Circuit. Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Aston Martin, BMW M5, Kia Cee'd and Toyota Yaris in convoy together.

We stopped for fuel in a small village which presented my first chance to crack out the camera and snap some shots. Needless to say the bright orange Lamborghini did a great job of creating a commotion . The pictures that follow are from the Silverstone paddock, hurriedly taken before the cars were whisked out to complete some timed laps.

driversrepublic05.jpg

driversrepublic01.jpg

driversrepublic02.jpg

driversrepublic03.jpg

driversrepublic04.jpg

driversrepublic06.jpg

driversrepublic07.jpg

driversrepublic08.jpg

driversrepublic09.jpg

driversrepublic10.jpg

driversrepublic11.jpg

Ultimately events transpired against us and we never made it to Wales to complete the feature the next day. Proof that super cars can and do live up to their reputation of occasionally throwing hissy fits.

Jethro did however hook me up with a hotel and took me out for some grub (TGI Fridays in a Lamborghini made for commotion number two of the day). Great hospitality! The DR guys are great group of very talented journalists, driving enthusiasts and bona fide car nuts.

The next day Jethro picked me up and took me over to the DR HQ for a look around. After a cup of tea we headed out in the Lamborghini. In the confides of an air field or race circuit the Lamborghini felt incredible. Despite being quite good at predicting lap times I failed to predict how that performance would translate to a winding b-road.... It was the best driving experience of my life, despite being sat in the passenger seat. I won't go into details but the following words might stimulate your imagination: soaking wet weather/560bhp/pro drive test route/560bhp/almost empty roads/560bhp.

A couple of weeks ago Drivers Republic managed to get the cars together again and took them down to Wales to complete the feature. The link is below and is def. worth a look. It's a great website and I am sure it'll appeal to a lot of people on Clio Sport.

Links:

Drivers Republic LP560-4/GT2/430 Scuderia Feature: http://magazines.drivers-republic.com/driversrepublic/hardandfast028/

August Video Preview: http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=cf4b02691f3d4c0b9404e369368b24cb&area=videos

October Video Preview: http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=eaaddccd95ae47f1848caf1e3d8e5c56&area=videos

911 GT2 Silverstone Lap In-Car: http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=62c56dea3549471c81873d685dce1a6a&area=videos

LP560-4 Silverstone Lap In-Car: http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=76be2a69ec064326b68c2cc5c1387d93&area=videos

Last edited:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Nicely done! Assuming you met Harris? Decent lad, had a little blat with him in his 205 when I had my 182. Showed me what genuine talent can do.

what an awesome prize, looks like a top day

do harris still have his M3? top bloke, very fast, as is dickie meaden - EVO ain't the same since he left, who the hell is Ollie Marraige?

although i like DR and pay the occasional visit to the site and wish the lads well, its not the same as sitting down with a glossy mag and losing yourself in car dreamworld

as for the test, i'll take the gallardo thanks

Tav

Clio 197
I got to meet all three of the guys. I'd been watching Chris on Camera for a good while before DR appeared and I've been reading EVO longer. Was so chuffed to meet them, they were all great banter. Chris just talks like he's writing an article all the time, very profound. I'd seen his name crop up on here before with people saying they'd met/driven with him.

I think he sold the M3 and he's currently got a big diesel Merc as a long termer...maybe a V8 M5 as well?

It is the same GT2 that was on Top Gear, Porsche press car. It's the one for me I think...but the Lambo...the noise...