ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

power

Clio 182
i'm still new to the whole forum scene so apologies if its in the wrong section, still getting to terms with how all of this works.
anyway, it feels to me like my clio 182 starts to hold back a bit somewhere between 6.25-6.5k revs, all the way to the red line.

is this normal?

the car is standard other that a scorpion cat back system

Should not hold back no. But i guss they do lose some power around that sort of rpm. Belts done recently? If so where.

Usual stuff really. Sparks, coil pack or leads. Dodgy injector

Clio 182
i think hold back would was probably the wrong term, id say slight loss of power. not really noticeable in 1st or 2nd gear

Iceberg PH1 172
Dont they stop making more power around that rpm? Most peoples rolling roads graphs on standard cars show a little dip around that rpm.

More power? Shift up?

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
They should pull to the limiter but peak power is around the early to mid 6K's as stated. Depends how sensitive you are to the torque drop off or you need to start checking for a cause. Starting with service items.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
These cars have a two stage rev limiter, the lower revs stage works until engine has reached full operating temperature. No need to go to max revs anyway, unless in a race where the changing up of a gear just before a corner will necessitate an almost immediate downchange thereafter.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Cold rev limit is 6800rpm but can come in as low as 6500rpm. I had the impression the OP was feeling a drop off not Hittimg a wall.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
7000rpm I've nudged the limiter in 4th at track days so I know it's lower. One of those straights where 5th is no use so you use all of 4th is the culprit.

Clio 182
I managed to get it to 7250rpm yesterday (first time I can recall it going over 7k) . Which leads me to believe that it's a faulty thermostat

RB Clio 182
Just make sure its fully warm before thrashing it, usually takes around 20 mins or so then it should rev right round.

Listerine & Poledo
As above.
If you try hammering it from cold it will try and stop such things in the name of self-preservation.
Faulty thermostat? Probably not else its unlikely you'd have got it free up at all.

Clio 182
I never wind the thing up until about 20 mins of driving anyway. I'll try leaving it longer before thrashing it and see where that gets me

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I had this issue where it would cut the limiter in early on a warm engine. was a faulty CTS.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Phase 2 fifth gears are quite low. I bet there's a few downhill runs in the UK where you could hit the limiter in 5th in you were insane enough to try.

As mentioned the ECU has a present temperature to reach before increasing the rev limit. If these conditions don't occur through faults then no raised rev limit.

Honda's vtec won't engage until the engine is warm. They are wise to not trust the average driver.