ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

POWER UPGRADE WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Clio 172 phase 1
Hi there just wondering if you had 3.5-4k to spend purley on engine upgrades what wold you do... id like to have a bit more oomph i need that little bit extra to just pull away from things ... the car is completley stripped out, even half the dash has gone :) .. so i just want to put money at power now... i love the sound of itbs so id like to go down that route, what they like to drive with are they more noticable than standard? ive driven a mates 240 bhp s2000 and it just didnt feel quick to me so im worried about ploughing cash at itbs to have less power than a s2000 and be dissapointed ... as for turbo conversions im just not convinced thats what i want.... im like a kid with pocket money burning a hole and being indecisive.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ITBS make a nice noise but they wont make your car MUCH quicker, you are talking an extra 20lbft or so for a few thousand RPM, its not really a big gain.

Thats even with cams as well, which will be your whole budget gone basically.

Turbo would be a far better gain but presents other issues.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I personally would never spend 4k on the engine of a clio

Boost/super charger is the only way to get big bhp out of these. ITB are nice but still alot for the bhp you get.

I would just change car personally. clio is more about the handling, than straight line power.

But i am sure a few will disagree with me.

Suzuki Jimny
4k towards a mortgage.

Spending 4k on the engine of a 14 year old clio is a bit crazy IMO.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If it brings you 4K worth of pleasure its not a waste.

Its all relative, I have spent far more on each of many different engines over the years and enjoyed them more than when I have spent 4K on a holiday thats over in a week.

Clio 172 phase 1
Im at a point where i could buy a nice 13k evo ... but i just dont want to spend all that money ... id so much rather fork out 4k and have a nice lil clio the 4k is just the engine budget as the rest of my money will be going an a roll cage and having the thing resprayed at tidyed up :) i could possible even go as far as 4.5k on the engine but i just dont know, big big power isnt what im after but i could use more go go juice,,, what they like on just itbs? or is just as goot to smash a set of cams in and a decent map? ... basically my mates got a type r we go on track together and just love to battle it out and i just need some more pull to beable to get away on corners he doesnt stand a chance but on the straight the extra revs hes got really do show as he catches up,

what other issues does a low boost conversion present? say a goal of 250bhp and more importantly reliability! ...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you have more torque you will need a diff to make use of it, heat management becomes more difficult (oil temps for example)

For what you are after, a set of ITBs on standard cams is probably enough unless your mates Type R is modified much?

Clio 172 phase 1
turbo sounds like big money on the transmission side of things, no his type r is reasonably standard... my belts arnt due for another 2 years so i might go fo rthe itb set up and see how it feels, who on here is good to supply and fit " drive in drive out " i like the look of the ktec kit and would love the joy of fitting my self as im fairly hands on, however ive heard nothing but bad about their mapping, and as a result of the car not being able to be driven without being mapped i rather take it some place :) .... and then in a year or so i can have cams added... are the valves a must when doing the itbs? what other parts would you upgrade?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Any of the traders on here should be able to sort you out TBH.

The ktec kit comes with a map thats safe to drive at part throttle, just you would need the added expense of the pro version of the software and dongle so that you can take it elsewhere to map.

Personally I would just go for normal jenveys instead though and either omex or a typhoon etc.

Clio 172 phase 1
Sounds good to me :) what about rod bolts and big ends as i hear these cars like to spin the bottom end bearings, and obv supertech valves? anywhere other than ebay that can supply these? ebay scares me a little

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sounds good to me :) what about rod bolts and big ends as i hear these cars like to spin the bottom end bearings, and obv supertech valves? anywhere other than ebay that can supply these? ebay scares me a little

If you are on standard cams, just leave it all standard and add the bodies, the valves might fail one day, but build a better engine then with cams etc at the same time, yours will probably be fine for a season or two.

banther

ClioSport Club Member
Good advice, some bargains to be had if you are patient.

That's what I would do.

Certainly less mucking about and potentially less time wasted. Should save money too.

I'm sure even if a turbo is not for sale a well worded offer PM to relevant members could unearth a few gems that can be prised from someone's hands.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
You can buy a fully built car for not a lot more. I'd think a 1*2 would give a type R a good run standard

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hi there just wondering if you had 3.5-4k to spend purley on engine upgrades what wold you do... id like to have a bit more oomph i need that little bit extra to just pull away from things ... the car is completley stripped out, even half the dash has gone :) .. so i just want to put money at power now... i love the sound of itbs so id like to go down that route, what they like to drive with are they more noticable than standard? ive driven a mates 240 bhp s2000 and it just didnt feel quick to me so im worried about ploughing cash at itbs to have less power than a s2000 and be dissapointed ... as for turbo conversions im just not convinced thats what i want.... im like a kid with pocket money burning a hole and being indecisive.
If you can get over Newport way sometime soon then I can take you out in my Trophy... might give you some idea as to whether or not ITB's are for you? In terms of comparing to a fairly standard Type-R my Trophy quite comfortably shows it a clean pair of heels now. Not mega differences (I'm not running big enough numbers to pull away like Chip did from the M3 at Bedford) but the handling, LSD and mid-range punch make quite a difference. That said, a well-looked after standard 1*2 is on a par with a standard Type-R in many ways.

Clio 172 phase 1
If you can get over Newport way sometime soon then I can take you out in my Trophy... might give you some idea as to whether or not ITB's are for you? In terms of comparing to a fairly standard Type-R my Trophy quite comfortably shows it a clean pair of heels now. Not mega differences (I'm not running big enough numbers to pull away like Chip did from the M3 at Bedford) but the handling, LSD and mid-range punch make quite a difference. That said, a well-looked after standard 1*2 is on a par with a standard Type-R in many ways.

I actually live in Newport now * probably should update my infomation * would love to have a sit in and see what its like :) my engine to be fair is brilliant no oil leaks no oil usage but im a bit anal with servicing and things its a bit of a sham atm but having recently moved and with changing jobs the clio has been a bit of a work horse.

Clio 172 phase 1

This isnt going to make any sence to some people but loads to others. It just wont ever be my car and as an enthusiast id love to just do mine and yeh ill spend a bit more but its all part of the fun .... also sadly as mine has a few odd dents and all the rear seat mounts cut out and holes drilled into the bumper its not going to ever ( EVER ) give me my money back wich i know but thats the reason id soon rather keep it :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Your car doesnt need to get its money back to be worth selling and buying a better clio as a base, it just needs to sell for more than the difference between the cost of doing the mods to yours and the cost of buying one done.

Speaking purely financially. If you have an emotional attachment to it though then of course thats a different.

Clio 172 phase 1
no afriad not ,,, I was stuck in work last saturday.

i agree with you financially chip, but its the fun of having it and building it and doing it all that makes it worth while for me, think of it as having lego as a kid.. its no fun if it comes ready built... and after all the bills etc a month my disposable income has to go on something that keeps me sane :)

RenaultSport 172
no afriad not ,,, I was stuck in work last saturday.

i agree with you financially chip, but its the fun of having it and building it and doing it all that makes it worth while for me, think of it as having lego as a kid.. its no fun if it comes ready built... and after all the bills etc a month my disposable income has to go on something that keeps me sane :)

I totally agree as I've done similar with my car. Could have saved loads by waiting for an already modified one.
But I think in hindsight after the amount I've spent I would rather just buy something better in the first place

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I actually live in Newport now * probably should update my infomation * would love to have a sit in and see what its like :) my engine to be fair is brilliant no oil leaks no oil usage but im a bit anal with servicing and things its a bit of a sham atm but having recently moved and with changing jobs the clio has been a bit of a work horse.
Ah, ok mate. I'm in the Rogerstone area (M4, J28) so will sort something out with you soon. I'm more than happy to take you for a spin. :)

"you are preaching to the choir"
Amen, brother. LOL!