ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power and torque

TERNC 197
After much research to questions I had I've come to the conclusion that power gains are very expensive.

Therefore I was thinking as the engine loose power over time, what can be done to refresh an engine? Terraclean?

Are there any moderately priced power upgrades? Cams and rs tuner?

Or should I give up on power and focus on handling.

Thanks

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Turbo kits are only a couple of grand these days aren't they?

If you really want to make a Clio faster that would be the way to do it.

TERNC 197
TerraClean is a unique decarbonisation technology which makes a significant improvement to the Emissions, MPG and Driveability/Performance of your vehicle

3 Series touring
TerraClean is a unique decarbonisation technology which makes a significant improvement to the Emissions, MPG and Driveability/Performance of your vehicle

You sound a bit like a TerraClean salesman...?

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
I know the machines are circa 6k and I've looked on a few facebook pages and people seem to rave about it..

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'd prefer to improve handling and brakes, decent set of tyres and pads

Like said, you are looking at 1500/2k for anything which is worth doing

Terraclean was tested independently by badger 5. On a 350bhp Leon it gave 2bhp gains.

Terraclean is pushed by the dealers as it's a massive mark up. Iirc the cost of the treatment to the dealer is around £15. Sell it at £70.

Bare in mind that those gains could've been had from just cleaning the inlet manifold on it. For far less than the cost of the terraclean

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The ONLY way to properly clean an engine is to strip it and soak parts, and anyway things like cleaning valve seat contact patches is only half the job, they need lapping in to seal up properly again, same for rings, you lose very little power in the real world to dirt inside a modern engine with modern petrol anyway, useful machine 40 years ago on badly fuelling carb feb cars but utter waste of time these days, as the only way your 172 will be badly dirty in the inlet and intake ports etc is if its breathing heavy, in which case dirt is the least of your problems anyway.

As Dan says, its Snake Oil!

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I'd prefer to improve handling and brakes, decent set of tyres and pads

Like said, you are looking at 1500/2k for anything which is worth doing

This, decent set of pads and disks along with some good tyres and fresh shocks with springs is all you really need.

If you wanna splash the cash then obviously you can go much further, on a budget though the above should be good to go.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This, decent set of pads and disks along with some good tyres and fresh shocks with springs is all you really need.

If you wanna splash the cash then obviously you can go much further, on a budget though the above should be good to go.

Before even doing that these days its worth doing things like steering rack bushes if there is any play, its amazing the difference between a nice tight new 172 and most of the litter out there, need to get them handling as good as a standard one first before bothering with upgrades really.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Good point, they are old now so many parts are probably well worn out and worth replacing even if they are not faulty.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good point, they are old now so many parts are probably well worn out and worth replacing even if they are not faulty.

Yeah exactly.

So many people think there cars are standard, when really they are massively substandard.

If a standard clio 172 doesnt handle well, either you have VERY high expectations, or you have a bad condition car.

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
Easiest and cheapest way to make a car faster is to remove weight.

But yeah, the pros of having a chuckable little fwd with a gutsy engine are mainly that it handles like a go kart, so money is better spent on handling!