ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Post crash advice!

LY 182
So,

Due to a combination of testosterone, poor timekeeping and even worse driving i have crashed my cup on the exit of a dual carriageway. I went into the exit (which was a lot sharper than first thought) too quickly and ended up locking up my wheels then smashing my drivers side wheel into the curb.

Now there's hardly any cosmetic damage (wing bent) , but the list of things currently bent/broken is; wishbone, ball joint, driveshaft, track/tie rod ends and the alloy is cracked!
There is also a chance i've bent the steering rack and subframe and damaged the suspension tower on that side of the car.

Oh and the airbag in my seat went off! I didnt even know it had one!

I'm not going to claim on my insurance as its just not worth the high excess and the premium that will be loaded onto my next quote.

My two questions are: 1) how much will i be looking at to get the replacement parts for the car? (I can fit them all myself)

and 2) would it be worth buying another cup which i have seen at £900, taking all the parts i need and then breaking that one to try get some money back?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

unlucky mate :(. Sounds as though going for the cheap cup youve seen and getting what you need off that would be more cost effective, especially what you will make back splitting the car

I'd have to agree! Buy the cup then break it afterwards!

Nice to see someone put their hands up when it's their fault rather than concocting some elaborate story involving diesel spills or an unidentified assailant!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
or buy the cup and move as many of the good parts from your existing cup over to make it as nice as possible and break the remainder of your cup to get some money back!

Listerine & Poledo
As you suggested, asset strip both vehicles and make one good one.

naughty! don't go doing that again!

LY 182
looks like the £900 cup is no longer an option! Checked this morning and it has sold :dapprove:

Guess i'd best start sourcing parts.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wishbones are different on the non cup, so make sure you use cup ones to replace it with.

They are sacrificial by design so its unlikely you have bent the subframe etc thankfully, so not a big deal to sort I would expect.

LY 182
Cheers for the advice

Just a little update on this;

On closer inspection it appears i have bent the subframe :( the wishbone has twisted and the ball joint has sheered off but everything else seems straight! Driveshaft has just popped out with no damage so theres no need to replace that.
I've managed to source a cup subframe with wishbones and steering rack all together so hopefully i can get the car sorted and back on the road within the next week.

Gonna have to get some cheap cup seats to go in the front for now though, as i cant afford to replace for the half leathers this month. Dont really fancy driving round with the airbag hanging out of the drivers seat.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Must have been a fair old impact then if its done the frame as well, that is unlucky.

Still at least it sounds like you have everything needed to put right now :)

Good luck with getting it all sorted.