ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possibly a daft question

Clio Billabong 1.2
To save boot space, can you fix an amp onto the side of a sub box?
Either using screws or double sided velcro?
Has anyone done this?

Black Gold with cup packs
Yes I have seen this done on this forum. I have seen an amp fitted to a fibreglass mould and then placed at the side of the boot! very neat, very nice!

Clio Billabong 1.2
Sounds good.
I've tried searching but haven't had any luck.
Do you remember what the title was or who did it?

clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v
what you need to know... its really easy lol,, just fasten it to the sub box? ive done sub installs for a LOt of friends and im currently doing a rather complex one atm so ill probs be able to help with any probs but i dnt see a prob here

Just screw it to the side of your sub box.

Ive recently installed a full Alpine system including Sub & Amp without drilling a single hole into the car, with it all securely fastened in. So if you want any help with that, let me know.

Clio Billabong 1.2
what you need to know... its really easy lol,, just fasten it to the sub box? ive done sub installs for a LOt of friends and im currently doing a rather complex one atm so ill probs be able to help with any probs but i dnt see a prob here

Thanks a lot. I just wasn't sure if it would effect the sub in any way, or rattle etc. I don't suppose either will get too warm will they?

Clio Billabong 1.2
Just screw it to the side of your sub box.

Ive recently installed a full Alpine system including Sub & Amp without drilling a single hole into the car, with it all securely fastened in. So if you want any help with that, let me know.

Cheers for the info. If I have any problems I'll be sure to come to you :D

Thanks a lot. I just wasn't sure if it would effect the sub in any way, or rattle etc. I don't suppose either will get too warm will they?

Ive got an Alpine amp screwed to the side of my Alpine sub box, its in the far left of the boot N/S, so the amp is pretty covered from the rear inner wing, ive had no heat problems etc so far, the quality of your amp may make all the difference to that though.

Ive fastened my sub box in with a stainless steel bracket which picks up off the seatbelt bolt, and ive fastened that to the back of the sub box with 3 M6 nuts & Bolts. This also makes it easy to remove to get into your spare wheel well, hence your not drilling any holes into the car.

Hope this helps, like I said, dont hesitate to ask for any help.

clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v
ive had a amp screwed onto my sub box b4 and the screws went into the box only prob was if i removed the amp the holes blew lol so never the less the amp stayed on... ps this was my very first amp and sub and it came like that and was sold like that, im in the middle of a custon install and going suprisingly well atm wireing tomorrow and then the amp brackets and sound deadening... cant rush i work methodically :p

"Navy" N17 TWO
Make sure your sub-box, AND amp are well bolted down! I can't say this enough.

Yes - you can bolt the amp to the sub-box, although some amps do not take too kindly to this.
Little components inside the amp itself get "sick" due to the bass (vibrations) the amp is absorbing straight from the sub. Bit like beating your computer with one of those rubber hammers I suppose

Last edited:
  clio mk2 p1 1.4 16v
tigs right if its a small amp then no probs if its one with a bit of weight and size then its gona absorm loads of bass... still shudnt be any truble its jut a worst case scanario

Clio Billabong 1.2
tigs right if its a small amp then no probs if its one with a bit of weight and size then its gona absorm loads of bass... still shudnt be any truble its jut a worst case scanario

I have a JBL GTO 4 channel amp..

GTO_4000.jpg

I'm not sure of the weight of it though.

Clio Billabong 1.2
Make sure your sub-box, AND amp are well bolted down! I can't say this enough.

Yes - you can bolt the amp to the sub-box, although some amps do not take too kindly to this.
Little components inside the amp itself get "sick" due to the bass (vibrations) the amp is absorbing straight from the sub. Bit like beating your computer with one of those rubber hammers I suppose

Thanks for the info.

Clio Billabong 1.2

Ive got an Alpine amp screwed to the side of my Alpine sub box, its in the far left of the boot N/S, so the amp is pretty covered from the rear inner wing, ive had no heat problems etc so far, the quality of your amp may make all the difference to that though.

Ive fastened my sub box in with a stainless steel bracket which picks up off the seatbelt bolt, and ive fastened that to the back of the sub box with 3 M6 nuts & Bolts. This also makes it easy to remove to get into your spare wheel well, hence your not drilling any holes into the car.

Hope this helps, like I said, dont hesitate to ask for any help.

What's your boot floor like? Mine is just 2 pieces of the same size MDF, with carpet screwed over both. To be honest they're quite hard to get out. It was already in the car though. I basically just want to fix my sub box to the carpet/MDF, allowing me to remove the sub box if I do need to get to the spare. Screws sound safer than strong velcro to be honest.

"Navy" N17 TWO

Does'nt matter - should your amp be the size of your hand or 50ft long - they all have the same fragile components inside them, which don't like to be shook about in the bass from the sub.

Most active subs (sub & box with built in amp) are very prone to faults in the amp because of the above. On the plus-side - they are cheap and cheerful - usually a halfords jobbie. I'll not go there :quiet:

Thanks for the info.

Not a bother - just passing on what I've learned about audio since I took interest :)

Clio Billabong 1.2
Hmm I need the boot space though.
I'll try it and if I get any problems I'll know why :)
Is there anything I can put on the side of the sub box which would absorb the vibrations, then attach the amp to that? So basically something in between the box and amp.

Also, how do you quote 2 or more people in a post? :D

Does'nt matter - should your amp be the size of your hand or 50ft long - they all have the same fragile components inside them, which don't like to be shook about in the bass from the sub.

Bass will shake the whole of the car, doesnt matter where it is, same as going over speedbumps and pot holes.

Ive always used this method in every car, sub and amp ive owned, never had any problems in that aspect.

Mounting the amp to the sub will be fine. Take a wuick loook at home cinema subs and you will find even the most expensive are active (amp built in) so the same as bolting an amp to the side.

No wheels :(
Screw amp to the back of the seat?? :)

Holds well, not prone to heat and doesnt move :)

Looks good to, if you want to show your amp off :)

Also saves boot space :)

Cheers, Sam :)

Clio Billabong 1.2

I was thinking this actualy.
I saw it somewhere a while ago.
So how would you do it?
Unzip the seat cover then put MDF inside?
Then screw through the seat cover through to the MDF?

Clio Billabong 1.2

this is what i did it looks awesome and realli easy to do and even easier with this guide http://www.fubarnet.com/amplifier.html

Thanks a lot, very helpful :D
I obviously want to hide the wires, so would I put holes in the seat cover then feed them through there?

"Navy" N17 TWO

Bass will shake the whole of the car, doesnt matter where it is, same as going over speedbumps and pot holes.

Ive always used this method in every car, sub and amp ive owned, never had any problems in that aspect.

Thats what I thought too when I was shopping around for my first sub and getting advice. Oh well!