ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Possible dogbone problem - anyone with similar symptoms?

AB 182-GTI-6-205 GTI
Hi all,

Im convinced the dogbone is on its way out on mine, under (hard) acceleration it sounds like the manifold is chattering against the subframe or bulkhead and when you come off the throttle theres a right crack from underneath, but i'm having no difficulty in getting the gears?

I searched and it seemed the gear issue was a big indicator, but mine is fine.. Im putting the cat back on today ready for the MOT and wondered if it was worth dropping a new mount on at the same time..

I know the powerflex ones are the weapon of choice, but will a stock one be ok for 90% road use? Or do even new standard ones have trouble stopping the engine moving around under hard acceleration/deceleration?

Cup In bits
Dogbone is robably the most important mount on the engine afaic when you see how much movement you get without one fitted.

Your problem sounds like the upper g/box mount to me as my cup was the same when I bought it. My g/box had dropped 15mm on the mount but selecting gears was no problem. Rough as hell with the mani touching under the car, I thought engine had went on the way home from collecting it.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Dogbone is robably the most important mount on the engine afaic when you see how much movement you get without one fitted.

Your problem sounds like the upper g/box mount to me as my cup was the same when I bought it. My g/box had dropped 15mm on the mount but selecting gears was no problem. Rough as hell with the mani touching under the car, I thought engine had went on the way home from collecting it.

The mount on the left hand side at the top of the engine bay?

Cup In bits
No the one above the gearbox, the nut pulls through a washer and knacker's the rubber usually and some times the thread on the stud. Taking it off to check for wear is the best bet if your cars done a few miles. The one at top left doesn't do much except allow some adjustment of the engine position as the engine sits on top of it and is not hanging from it.