ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Position of 4 rib belt on 5 rib pulley

172 Ph2
So changing the aux belt on my Kangoo. Looks like the the large pulley has 5 ribs but the belt has 4.

Should i align to the inner or outer of said pulley?

dan's cast offs.
i always go for outer, had one in where the belt had lost the inner rib and it had jumped the timing. probably psychological but that extra gap could help if the belt goes.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
The idler has more grooves from memory. Belt should be on outer grooves all the way round (furthest from engine block) as per Renault tech notes.

If its manual tensioner i made a tool to get the tension on the belt, its a nightmare without

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You cant really get a pry bar on it. I made this - copied and pasted off TurboRenault...

The clutch pulley is there for extra mpg/less belt wear etc if you can bin it i would get it gone like! I dare say a standard pulley would cause no issues.

Todays update. So time to get the alternator on. The manual tensioner is a b*****d to set as you cant really get anything in to get tension on it. Last time i borrowed a big snap on pry bar and had @Sheryl_O pulling it whilst i nipped it up which was a bit heath robinson but worked but put stress on the alternator. Renault have a special tool to tension it which i do not have as per lol
56153656-D657-4547-BB05-0D95207A947C.gif

Looks fairly simple to make?? I went through the big box of shite and found an old shitey cranked spanner. Cut one end off and forced a m6 die over
8EC6A8D3-D947-440A-8573-894B696217B5.jpeg

And we have one tool that worked epically to tension the belt
13E5A413-7A8A-4201-A5FB-F63936929203.jpeg
Boshed it all back together, nipped up the pmt tensioner and nipped up the bolts. Removed tool and big fire up sounds 100% better, tested alt just over 14 volts that will do me..engine idles smoother win win all round