ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Popping-No silly map

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
My car has recently developed what I can only describe as a popping sound when I let off the accelerator. (no I dont have a pop and bangs map lol)
This is most apparent when I rev to about 2k then let off completely but it now happens almost all the time. It's becoming more frequent too.

I initially put it down to the cold weather but: A) It still does it when warmed up. B) Today was circa 10degrees out and yet still it did it everytime.

I have only noticed this since my cambelt change, timing is not an issue as it was done by Fred at BTM, I mention it though as the timing was initially out a bit so wonder if this was hiding another issue which has now come to light when the timings right.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Matthew

air leak into one of the joints on the exhaust is the most common suspect , does it sound different under power at the moment ? slightly raspy ?

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
Not decatted and only a stealth prospeed with silencer. It sounds like it's popping possibly from overfueling?

I know where you're going Martin, know what you're like lol. I watched the whole thing myself and was shown the timing was definitley out peviously and was correct after.

Also no fault codes showing.

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
air leak into one of the joints on the exhaust is the most common suspect , does it sound different under power at the moment ? slightly raspy ?

Doesn't sound any different at all, exhaust was split recently from the manifold during subframe drop/gearbox change so didn't think about that I'll have a look. Thanks very much

Not decatted and only a stealth prospeed with silencer. It sounds like it's popping possibly from overfueling?

I know where you're going Martin, know what you're like lol. I watched the whole thing myself and was shown the timing was definitley out peviously and was correct after.

Also no fault codes showing.

Lol Matt you have been informed on my expirence then, i also watched the whole thing and my timing was out too. what do you mean you know what i'm like?:S

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Why not take it back to BTM if its only happened since belt change thats what I would be doing ?

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
If you've not noticed it before it's probably a leak as Harv has said, probably before the lambda

Yeah now that I think about it more this is most probable. Will get it up over the next couple days and have a fiddle.

Why not take it back to BTM if its only happened since belt change thats what I would be doing ?

Because I'm pretty sure it's coincidental and he only did timing. He's not that local either, if it was an issue with work done I'd be the first to take it back.

I'll sort it myself however was just after a bit of advice.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'd say it's quite possible it's either your temp sensor giving the ECU incorrect information, or your thermostat never letting the engine getting fully warm, so you're always running a little rich. If your timning was out before the engine will have been in a different fueling condition.