ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Police have found my 172 cup!

BMW E46 330i Touring
I don't know how this works, but surely there's is insurance in place to compensate for the loss in value, even if it means your premium increases as a result of a 'claim'?

If the car was never found, you'd get back the total market of the car, so surely this must apply to some extent?

172 cup
Spoke to my insurance company again today. The motor legal protection is only there to protect me should a third party try to claim off me in the event of an accident, they want nothing to do with this! They're pretty crap to be honest!

Like a couple of you have suggested, I'm going to phone citizen's advice first thing tomorrow and see if there's another way around this. I'm also gonna call the police to make sure my car is no longer recorded as stolen. There may be a chance that 'stolen and recovered' will never be put on the HPI because even the police are not sure at what point it's added. The police sergeant dealing with the case has told me that it is only put on the HPI after the insurance company have paid out but the insurance company have told me that it's already on there! :S

Cheers for your suggestions anyway guys. At least my car is now at the local approved garage ready to be repaired...

172 cup
Your insurance company is winding you up m8, no way will your clio be "recorded" stolen recovered on the hpi if they are going ahead with repairs of any kind.

The only thing it could go on (apart from being unrecorded) is cat X (yes it does exist as well) which is usually stolen/recovered with light damage and that would only happen if the car was taken from you and you had a payout from the insurance company.

And that shouldn't show up on a hpi check either.

Are you sure about this? If you're right, which I hope you are, why would the insurance company tell me otherwise?! Nobody seems to know what actually happens!

Ph2 FF 172
Insurance companies are thieving b*st*rds mate... More so than the feckers that nicked your car!

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Have you done a hpi check on your car since its been recovered?

One of the cheap £3ish ones via text should show up if its been stolen recovered the same as a more expensive hpi type check.

Ive been through the same process recently with a car ive had.

I bought it from an auction as Cat X (under the same circumstances as your car) And had to tell the police that it had been recovered even after the insurance company had paid out and tell the cars manufacturer to take it off their stolen register.

Took a while to sort out because at first no-one would believe me that it was my car! Once sorted out the car was no longer wanted by police and cleared from any register i could then clear it from the manufacturers stolen register then hpi it , and it came back clear.

Just make sure the polices marker is the first one you ask to be removed , otherwise any other register will come back as stolen still - they all get their infomation from the police at some point.

Just out of interest , who are you insured with?

'99 Vectra 1.8
so what happened to the guy who had it on his drive then?

(sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't be bothered to read the entire thread)

172 cup
I'm insured with Tesco. Looks like I'm going to be spending another day on the phone trying to get everything sorted out again tomorrow. The more I look into HPI checks on the internet, the more I'm convinced that 'Stolen & Recovered' only appears on the HPI once the insurance company have paid me out for the car and then auctioned it off. This obviuosly isn't going to be the case with mine.

The guys that nicked it were in court today. I phoned the police to find out what happened but the sergeant that I needed to speak to isn't in again until 2pm tomorrow. He said they were likely to go to prison because of the other 8 buglaries as well as my car......but no doubt they'll be out before my car is even repaired!

PH2 172
As above I'd speak to the Insurance Ombudsman to see about your rights regarding claiming for loss of value, or anything else.

Another avenue may be claiming as a victim of crime. IIRC you can be financially compensated if you have been a victim of crime, and can show that your are out of pocket because of this. Even once the insurance claim is settled, you're going to be out of pocket for your insurance excess and incresed premiums next year.

Definately worth speaking with someone like the CAB to see what other options are open to you, as you're out of pocket through no fault of your own.

Iceberg 2002 172
Thats s**t that your going to be out of pocket mate :(

least youve got thye car back and its in running order and everything :)

once its been repaired professionally and valeted you will never even know it was gone :)

and charge the insurance for fuly service it ;)

172 cup
Spent all day on the phone to my insurance company and police again today, they don't know their head from their arse when it comes to this HPI stuff so I decided to call HPI directly. Probably should have thought of this to begin with because I've finally got some answers:

- If a car is stolen and subsequently written off by the insurance company, Cat C or D will be on the HPI as with any other write off.

- If a car is stolen and the insurance company pay out, but then it is found weeks later with minimal damage, the HPI will say Stolen & Recovered when the car is sold at auction because it is possession of the insurance company.

- If a car is stolen, then found with minimal damage before the insurance pay out, the HPI should be clear once the original owner takes possession of the car again. However, this depends on the insurance company contacting HPI which apparently they drag their heels doing.

So, 'all' I have to do is make sure the insurance company fix my car properly (new wheels, tyres, service, valet, etc...). Then keep on their backs until they clear my HPI which they are obliged to do. Easy!!! :S

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, at least you know that if you're planning to hang onto the car for a while yet you shouldn't have any problems with it come selling time.

'99 Vectra 1.8
The guys that nicked it were in court today. I phoned the police to find out what happened but the sergeant that I needed to speak to isn't in again until 2pm tomorrow. He said they were likely to go to prison because of the other 8 buglaries as well as my car......but no doubt they'll be out before my car is even repaired!

Scum, take it the guy who nicked it lived at the house it was found at then? If so can't you launch a claim against him or something or get a collections company involved after all, it would be his fault directly that you were out of pocket.

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Spent all day on the phone to my insurance company and police again today, they don't know their head from their arse when it comes to this HPI stuff so I decided to call HPI directly. Probably should have thought of this to begin with because I've finally got some answers:

- If a car is stolen and subsequently written off by the insurance company, Cat C or D will be on the HPI as with any other write off.

- If a car is stolen and the insurance company pay out, but then it is found weeks later with minimal damage, the HPI will say Stolen & Recovered when the car is sold at auction because it is possession of the insurance company.

- If a car is stolen, then found with minimal damage before the insurance pay out, the HPI should be clear once the original owner takes possession of the car again. However, this depends on the insurance company contacting HPI which apparently they drag their heels doing.

So, 'all' I have to do is make sure the insurance company fix my car properly (new wheels, tyres, service, valet, etc...). Then keep on their backs until they clear my HPI which they are obliged to do. Easy!!! :S

Pleased to hear you finally getting it sorted out in the end, keep the pressure on the insurance company and dont stop ringing them till your cars repaired and hpi clear. :)

I have to say that part they've told you about cars that are stolen recovered then paid out and sold off by the insurance companys being recorded isnt always true.

You always see unrecorded cars at auctions (i bought a few myself) with plenty of damage so why arnt they on the hpi? Luck of the draw i guess?

If they are unrecorded but damaged it means that they have been written off by the owner, instead of the insurance. So in essance the insurance don't know anything about it. I have one sat on my drive in fact! Best cars to buy ever! No history, but dirt cheap.

Whilst on the subject of damage, cats and HPI did anyone know you can have a cat (C or D) removed from the HPI record?

BMW E46 330i Touring
^ This has come up before. I don't think it's removed from the record, just changed to acknowledge that the work that has been carried out is good enough...?

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
would def not want it back its prob be ragged to an inch of its life

your insurance company are f*****s if the force you to keep a car that will loose half its value at no fault of your own

Some useful info there. Good to see someone doing the leg work instead of just guessing what will/should happen! Might be useful posting this in the sticky "all you need to know about insurance" on the relevant forum..

PH1 172
Went to see my car in the body shop yesterday, gonna look awesome when they've finished with it! New wheels and tyres all round, all little scratches and dents removed, full valet and re-upholstered drivers seat......can't wait to get it back now actually! Engine and exhaust sounded absolutely fine as well although I haven't driven it yet. Gonna do an oil change and possibly some new front pads cos they were worn before it was stolen anyway, then my car will be as good as new!!! :D

PH1 172
Went to see my car in the body shop yesterday, gonna look awesome when they've finished with it! New wheels and tyres all round, all little scratches and dents removed, full valet and re-upholstered drivers seat......can't wait to get it back now actually! Engine and exhaust sounded absolutely fine as well although I haven't driven it yet. Gonna do an oil change and possibly some new front pads cos they were worn before it was stolen anyway, then my car will be as good as new!!! :D

Oops im signed in as my brother! Wish he'd log off :nono:

Ph2 FF 172

Get them to do the brakes for you

172 cup
Yeah I tried but they're not having any of it. I'm pretty happy with 4 new wheels & tyres when only the fronts are curbed though! I'll post some before & after pitcures when I get my car back next week.

Off to Japfest at Castle Combe tomorrow, got some track time in my dad's heavily modified Datsun 240z. Should be fun if the rain holds off!

172 cup
No news yet mate, my car is still in the garage being tarted up! Should be getting it back early next week I hope...can't wait!

Renault Clio 182 Cup
i can't belive how some f...ing c..t f...ing pr.ck stolen someone car. there must be something wrong with those people. in my opinion they should have hands cut off.