ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Point & Shoot camera's

RB 182 FF
I am looking for some advice if possible, looking for a good compact camera for my hooneymoon which is next month. Under £150.

I have read on here that people have recommended the lumix, are there any other suggestions? Or should I just go for one of those?

Thanks.:cool:

Nimbus Megane R26
lumix TZ7 mate. Just come back from NYC and it dealt with anything i threw at it, even night time shots at the top of buildings it was great!

RB 182 FF
Cheers mate, I think the t27 may be a bit out of budget so will look at the cheaper camera's in the range.

VaVa
You can get the TZ6 for about £177 delivered now mate, from Amazon. More or less the same camera.

If you can find another £27 from somewhere, you won't be disappointed!!

RB 182 FF
I saw your thread mate cheers. Takes cracking photo's by the looks of things, might have to just spend the bit extra and treat myself.

Nimbus Megane R26
Here you go Dom some of mine iv taken with TZ7. Nothing special. Few long exposure artyfarty shots at night and some from NYC. Not touched the NYC ones up with PS yet. Long exposure ones are hosted on photobucket which has murdered them tbh.

P1000154.jpg

P1000156.jpg

Few random ones:

P1000070.jpg

P1000115.jpg

NYC:

4499322865_d439d90505_b.jpg

ohhh hai!
4499320623_14815ce782_b.jpg

4499953514_aeacd75443_b.jpg

4499951462_1cacb09ec8_b.jpg

4499949018_e6bd84816a_b.jpg

taken through glass hense crap reflections

4499311801_e45743cd1b_b.jpg

4499945756_220ce0e643_b.jpg

4499944236_56ec9f1f25_b.jpg

4499307083_252fbae220_b.jpg

4499305401_8dc10e7985_b.jpg

4499939040_b436b344bd_b.jpg

4499302077_0cc33c8280_b.jpg

4499935012_e6bfe48473_b.jpg

Last edited:
  Nimbus Megane R26
Should help you make up your mind one way or another. Plenty of choice with these lil compact camera's though but im glad i spent the extra and got mine. HD video on the TZ7 also which is quite good!

Last edited:
  VaVa
Try the 'vivid' setting for blue skys... tends to bring them out a bit. Can look a bit unnatural, but always worth a play.

P1000432.jpg

Panorama assist gives pretty good results too, coupled with the software that comes fre with the camera.

Panorama5.jpg

SLK 350
Try the 'vivid' setting for blue skys... tends to bring them out a bit. Can look a bit unnatural, but always worth a play.

Negative, vivid is horrible, it makes the pictures noisy and over processed. Shoot in the default mode, then bump up the levels/curve later in software, otherwise you're compromising your picture.

Nimbus Megane R26
yeah was really impressed with the zoom tbh. The highrise shot in the day, if you look at the pic above it thats what it was like with zoom on..and there was still more zoom to go but i couldnt hold it still with the wind.

VaVa
Negative, vivid is horrible, it makes the pictures noisy and over processed. Shoot in the default mode, then bump up the levels/curve later in software, otherwise you're compromising your picture.

I disagree, but then I see from your pic you like to do a lot of PP. I don't. Negates the point of a point and shoot IMHO. If I want some decent photos, or I'm concerned about noise, I wouldn't touch my tz7 with a barge pole.

SLK 350
Oh, I see, so the TZ7 is incapable of shooting "decent photos". You can disagree all you like, there's plenty of supporting critique on the negative effects when using Vivid.

With regard to negating the point? I thought the point was it's light, compact, single button operation and multi-purpose. It has nothing to do with post processing or otherwise, it's about accessible photography, for all.

If you look at my Flickr account, aside from my entry, there's nothing there that's been processed in any way, but when I return to the UK, I'll run everything in a batch through some minor post processing, I prefer to leave it in the hands of dedicated software [that's reversible], as opposed to letting the tiny processor in my camera doing it.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1026475@N24/discuss/72157623109169440/

Search for TZ7 vivid noise and you'll get plenty more results.

VaVa
There's noise evident at all iso's, regardless of which scene you use. And pretty bad in low light. But it's a point and shoot with a teeny sensor, so that's hardly surprising. And ultimately it's all relative. For what it is- a cheap camera - it's not bad.

I did say 'for blue skys, it's worth a try' not 'Always use the vivid mode'. I found (like the pic above for example, which doesn't look overly noisy at that size) that I like the image to have a bit more of punch, and if that comes at the price of an increase in noise then so be it.

Like I said, if I want to take anything more that a snap-shot I use something else. Because as far as I'm aware there's no magic tool for getting rid of noise.

But it does a job and is very versatile, and on the whole I'm very pleased with it.... I can tell you're pretty attached to yours.

EDIT - Just read your link. Proves my point about the noise.