ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plusnet to Sky Broadband?

Currently with Plusnet and have been for a few years now. But over the past couple of months everytime I use the internet either through wired PC or wireless laptop the internet is dog slow. I'm on the option 3 (£19.99 per month) package and I know it's not worth that at all... and was thinking of switching to Sky (similar package £5 per month), as we already have Sky TV.

Done a quick speed test earlier... download speed (the best was) 767kbps and upload 229kbps, not sure if this is very good as the speedo goes up to 8mb!? :S I've raised this with Plusnet and they have asked me to do 3 separate speed tests an hour apart and to tell them the results.

Anyone had similar problems?
Anyone with Sky?

Many thanks

Has

RS 182 - Black Gold
Plusnet have been very very good. You get to control everything via the control panel which lets you do plenty.

Changing to sky probably wont do anything if its ur line at fault...

Worth carrying out the test they are asking for. I had a similar problem a while back, turned out to be a fault at the exchange. Plusnet organised for a BT engineer to come out and it was promptly fixed.

If u have any probs, give me a buzz Jay.

Fiesta ST
I'm with plusnet (gaming option) and never had a fault! Customer support is usally fantastic also.

Cheers Thanks Has.

I have completed 3 speed tests (1 hour apart). The results:- 1st speed test 46Kbps, 2nd speed test 42Kbps and 3rd speed test 27Kbps. Sent them this info and their reply:-

"Thanks for getting back in touch. A line test via BT estimates 2.0mb.
Hope this helps, our faults team will look into the open fault and get back to you soon."

How slow the internet is currently it's not worth £19.99 a month, g/f has free Orange broadband and her's seems to be quicker than mine! :S

Also I believe the £19.99 package gives me 20GB download, and checked my usage and I'm not even using half that much, might downgrade to the £9.99 a month or switch to Sky for £5 a month?

Fiesta ST
Thing is plusnet is only monthly contract but if you switch to sky its 12months? but at then end of the day it depends what you want from a internet connection and I'm sure sky is ok for most things :)

I've been with plusnet for a few years, but recently my internet has gone alot slower, not really fussed about the 12 month contract as we have Sky TV.

Anyone got Sky broadband?

Plus Has has (lol) a point about the BT exchange fault maybe, if I swap I'll only have the same problem with Sky because of the exchange? :grr:

If thats the case I need to sort out the monthly payments as I think I don't get £19.99 a months worth of internet.

Update: They have told me I'm stuck on the 2MB download speed, but I can upgrade to MAX DSL?

Fiesta ST
Max DSL - you'll get the fastest speed your line can support (up to 8mb) - once moved across you might get some disconnect issues for a week or so until you line works out the most stable speed.

I think BT website or even plusnet has online tests that can tell you what max speed you can expect on your line.