ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plastic gear box drain plug?

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Bought a new gear box drain plug and seal thing direct from Renault. Reading on here there was two - a drain and a fill, but when I ordered there was only one the guy could find on the exploded diagram and it said "drain and fill" in the description.
I was under the impression the fill one was plastic, is this right? As the one I have bought is a plastic one with a like wing nut on the top of it. The seal washer thing is like a rubbery material and not a copper one like the engine sump plug one.
I am sure I saw a metal looking one on the top of the box the other day when I had a quick look at it all.
Part numbers are: 7703075180 for the plastic plug and 8200201381 for the seal thing.
Not having the car with me makes checking it quite hard! Need to get the right parts before I start as I have only this weekend to get it sorted so wanted to get everything ready before I started.

I think my brother says he has a pump and the last time he changed gear box oil he didn't undo the drain plug, just sucked it up through the fill point.

One on the side (fill) is plastic with the wing nut that you have.

Get yourself a copper washer for the drain plug and you're good to go. Have a search on here for the size and get to a factors/Halfords if you have to.

Clio 172 PH2
I literally did this yesterday as above.

Fill hole plastic wing nut, bottom metal drain plug with copper O ring.

BTW get a cheap silverline suction/filler pump for around 6 quid makes the job much easier as there isnt much room like on some cars where you can simply put in a big bottle with the filler on the end.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Just what I thought! So does this page know more than amthe direct Renault parts place? Saying that, you have to go to the Ford garage to buy Renault parts, or the Renault dealers if you phone up, odd I know.
Sure GSF will have a copper washer thing for it.

Clio 172 PH2
Any will do mate really as long as it the same size, i didnt buy a specific one and reused the filler and drain nuts/plugs.

You have a couple of days to dig out a bit of hose to tape to the bottom of a funnel to fill it.

Don't make the school boy error or filling it up without fitting the drain plug back in. Not that I've ever done that...

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
1.jpg

Thats the diagram and yes the drain plug doesnt seem to be there.

330i. E30 Touring.
Meh, just nip the drain plug up again. I've never replaced one on any of mine and never had a lead.

Awaits the 'it's less than 50p' brigade. Cost is irrelevant, why bother if you don't need to.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Thats the diagram and yes the drain plug doesnt seem to be there.
At least it wasn't the guy being incompetent.
But what is number 1(?) on the diagram? Can't quite see the number but it's the number between 6 and 13 and the bottom. It just points to the underside of the gear box - is it the gear box casing or plug?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
got this to do next on the list after getting my AD08s fitted Sunday
cant say i am looking foreward to fiddling round round under the car whilst its on ramps, draining the oil
But i did buy this motor as a hobby.... will just wait till its warm :smile::cool:
anyone with a link for where the cheapest ELF gearbox oil is?

Meh, just nip the drain plug up again. I've never replaced one on any of mine and never had a lead.

Awaits the 'it's less than 50p' brigade. Cost is irrelevant, why bother if you don't need to.

From what I remember, I was the only one who said this on the last thread, also where you said don't bother?

Why not bother, for the pennies it costs and risking a potential leak and the hassle of it all to sort it out if it does.

Probably cost more than 30p of electric to write that post?

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
From what I remember, I was the only one who said this on the last thread, also where you said don't bother?

Why not bother, for the pennies it costs and risking a potential leak and the hassle of it all to sort it out if it does.

Probably cost more than 30p of electric to write that post?

Blimey- does it cost that much to post on here?

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
got this to do next on the list after getting my AD08s fitted Sunday
cant say i am looking foreward to fiddling round round under the car whilst its on ramps, draining the oil
But i did buy this motor as a hobby.... will just wait till its warm :smile::cool:
anyone with a link for where the cheapest ELF gearbox oil is?

That Nielsen CDG on eBay is usually the cheapest mate.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Elf-Tranself-NFJ-75W-80-Gear-Oil-3x1L-3L-/151610836645?hash=item234cb5c6a5

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
@chris blue I would get the 4x 1ltr option though. From what I have found in here the gear box takes a little over 3ltrs (will stand corrected). You probably won't remove every drop so could get away with 3ltr but I got the extra one in case of any mishaps.

In other news I have got a new copper washer, 90p from GSF. I'd rather have it ready to fit if needed than realise I need a new one and have to faf about sourcing one while the car is in pieces. I prefer to work with having everything ready before I start a job (hence my stupid questions!) so I can just crack on with little interruption. Plus not being the most mechanically minded person, get my brother to help so it uses up less of his time if it is all ready.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
thought this might be the case, but didn't want to get caught out if I split some (or forget to put the drain plug back in!)

Tbh I am not sure how much is actually in there already as I've never changed it in the 3 years of owning it and the selector thing is covered in oil, presumable the seal has gone like most of them do.

Most selectors leak around that area tbh.

Use some brake cleaner and clean it all up, see if you can see the problem areas, but I wouldn't get too concerned if your only losing a small mist every so often.

The Renault diagram for the drain plug etc is probably on another image with the linkage and so on, but sounds like your sorted now RE: washer :smile:

You don't need to replace the drain plug. Get a dowty washer from Renault and re use the plug.

3 litres is fine. You'll never get it all out anyway. Even if you did it's only 3.1L or near enough.

Unscrew the butterfly plug on the side to re fill it. Use garden hose and a funnel. Easy peasy.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Luckily the car will be on stands as I need to bleed the brakes and the N/S arch is currently off!
Few jobs lined up this weekend and it should be back on the road after some tlc.