ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Plasti Dip Entire car - results

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Hey

I have wanted to change the colour of my car for a while, was fed up with the paint issues and scuffs and scratches.
I tried Wrapping it myself but that just failed.

So i looked at PlastiDipping the car, i found a chap in the midlands who runs under the name "Midlands Car Dip" on facebook.
He Quoted a respectable £350 for a Pearl Blue.

It was done last Sunday, and the results in my eyes are very respectable.

At night a Slight hint of purple pops out, unexpected but i like it!

20141222_141305_zpsf6671487.jpg

20141222_141217_zpswawtl2rw.jpg

20141222_141236_zpspn3hhmq8.jpg

20141222_141253_zps79sgmacr.jpg

I have since peeled it off the side repeaters, badges and emblems, and have put some Door edge protectors on the doors to stop knocks and accidental peeling.

And a close up with water:
20141224_104652_zps037rbbvz.jpg

FLOL at how literal the thread title is r.e. "entire car."

I'd strongly recommend you also remove the plasti dip from the rear BRAKE LIGHT, windscreen/rear-window washers, xenon washers and passenger door lock!

On a more positive note, it would be interesting to see this "purple" effect & you're the first person I've seen on CS to give the entire car ago so it will interesting to see if it lasts.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Looks alright (although I'd have gone for a colour less like a standard Renault colour). Be interested to see how it stands up to daily wear and tear.

Wait a sec - have you got rid of that troublesome silver 172 for a non-troublesome 182? Good move if so.

(Sorry if I'm thinking of a different member)

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
This is great, first person on here to do this to the whole car so good on you.

As has been mentioned above, im very interested to see how this holds up during use.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Looks good mate , almost like a matt Mondial blue . It'll be interesting as said above to see how it stands up to the elements .

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Looks lovely.

Would be interesting to see how well it holds up though, I can see it being rather easy to damage and rather hard to fix without it being obvious you've sprayed more on.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
That looks really good and for £350 you cant complain really.

Looks good! Did the same with my car in matt white at one point, but ran out of cans before it looked respectable and lost the enthusiasm for it in the end and just peeled it off.

I always thought you had a 172 aswell?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Could be wrong but I saw on another forum he has got a twin exit exhaust recently and I must say it sits very well. Got the best of both worlds - spare wheel well and twin exhausts which is nice.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Forgot to say but your wheels look really good, what did you do in the end following the unfortunate purchase of them.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Looks alright that actually! Wouldn't mind having a go at that price... does the guy have a website showing colours available? Or anyone know of someone in Essex that can do this?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
FLOL at how literal the thread title is r.e. "entire car."

I'd strongly recommend you also remove the plasti dip from the rear BRAKE LIGHT, windscreen/rear-window washers, xenon washers and passenger door lock!

On a more positive note, it would be interesting to see this "purple" effect & you're the first person I've seen on CS to give the entire car ago so it will interesting to see if it lasts.

I will be removing the Dip from these bits after xmas

Wait a sec - have you got rid of that troublesome silver 172 for a non-troublesome 182? Good move if so.

(Sorry if I'm thinking of a different member)

Different member mate.

Looks good! Did the same with my car in matt white at one point, but ran out of cans before it looked respectable and lost the enthusiasm for it in the end and just peeled it off.

I always thought you had a 172 aswell?

It is a 172 ;)

Thats a 182 Look KTR exhaust on there

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why didn't he just strip the buts off it? I understand it's quicker but why?

I really like it. Especially if you can wax it for example.

Wonder how hard it is to do full panels? Great business idea to be fair.

Ph1 172 and Ph1 225
Americans have been plastidipping cars for a bit now. It's a good idea and I think it's just about to take off over here. Especially the scene queens who take the same car to the shoes every year but just change the colour.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Cheers, looks really good! God damn it I said I wouldn't spend any more money on this car now...

Haha , £350 is pretty cheap looking at the results from the OP's pics . I wonder what the durability would be like on wheels with the hot brake dust ?

Looks really good actually, some parts id take it off like the break lights and so on

I thought about getting this done at one point but seen too many horror stories of companys getting the mixture wrong and ruining the whole cars paint, which makes the paint peel off with the dip.

Saying that, if it wasnt in great condition to begin with, worth the risk for £350.

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I have noticed a few things today, the car was in the sun which warmed up the car slightly.

It seems i did a poor job of removeing all the tar from the road before i handed it over for dipping and there were a few spots missed.

The Tar has softend and now there are a few black "spots" showing, and are squishy to the touch. I think these will just get worse when it gets warmer.

Have contacted him so can see what can be done to sort them, Also my front bumper has decided to unclip itself over night... and is loose / cant get it back right. I have a feeling something happened through the night.
I do have a spare tho so may stick that on and get him to dip it fresh and sort the door with spots out.

So, So far this is not without its few minor issues, but easy to correct.

Track 172 Cup
I have noticed a few things today, the car was in the sun which warmed up the car slightly.

It seems i did a poor job of removeing all the tar from the road before i handed it over for dipping and there were a few spots missed.

The Tar has softend and now there are a few black "spots" showing, and are squishy to the touch. I think these will just get worse when it gets warmer.

Have contacted him so can see what can be done to sort them, Also my front bumper has decided to unclip itself over night... and is loose / cant get it back right. I have a feeling something happened through the night.
I do have a spare tho so may stick that on and get him to dip it fresh and sort the door with spots out.

So, So far this is not without its few minor issues, but easy to correct.

Surely he should have checked for tar and what not before he dipped it? even wiped over the car with something to make sure all the panels are clean. Other than the problems you mention for £350 its not a bad price I would consider it for a track car if I fancied something to make me more visible on track lol

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Three years if looked after properly.
I'm hoping for at least a year, then I may change the colour.

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Dirt sticks to it and its a real pain to clean.. if you get petrol on it, it changes colour

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Great.... I just won a free car wrap.... LOL
Looks like the dip will be coming off soon.

RB Clio 182
How do you get a scratch/scuff repaired?

Why didnt he remove the washer jets/indicators etc?? That would bug the f**k out of me!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
How do you get a scratch/scuff repaired?

Why didnt he remove the washer jets/indicators etc?? That would bug the f**k out of me!

You rub it gently with alcohol to blend in the sharp edge where the rear is, then spray it again.

You spray the whole car then peel off bits at the seams, if it's done right it peels away neatly.

RB Clio 182
You spray the whole car then peel off bits at the seams, if it's done right it peels away neatly.

Eurghhhh, that scares me, all the little bits and bobs it has sprayed that you dont mean to spray.

Might as well chuck a bucket of paint over the car and wherever it goes it goes, fuckit!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Eurghhhh, that scares me, all the little bits and bobs it has sprayed that you dont mean to spray.

Might as well chuck a bucket of paint over the car and wherever it goes it goes, fuckit!

Lol, the whole point of plastidip is that it sets like vinyl so can be easily removed.

I'm not sure whether it was plastidip or vinyl which has had problems with bonding to the lacquer... So it peeled the lacquer when being removed. That's the only horror story i've heard about this

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
So.
The wrap is booked for April easter holidays.
going for a gloss white :)

That gives me a few months to enjoy and test the hell out of the blue dip