ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ping/Dong/Twang noise from coilovers.

182 Cup
Hi guys i dont post many threads as i can usually find all the advice i need by searching topics but cant seem to find much about this noise i get.

I have K-TEC coilovers and solid top mounts and when turning, mostly to the right although sometimes to left a ping/dong/twang noise comes from what appears to be the front springs.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated as its getting more frequent, was just when pulling off my driveway but now its happening at most slower right handers eg turning at junctions.

Cheers
Simon

182 Cup
Hmm maybe its just this setup that is causing the noise, would be nice to know whats causing it though cos its gettin on me tits now its more frequent, dya have any ideas what it might be.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It sounds like the spring is catching on something, and then "twang'ing" back into position? Have you checked the seats and springs to see if there's anything obvious??

182 Cup
not atm hopefully weathers good tomorrow so i can have a look at things, wasnt really that bothered untill now either but its getting annoying, but yeah like ya say sounds like summats catching an then twanging back.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Presume you have the old gold top mounts?

A few have had this problem, k-tec replace them free of charge iirc.

182 Cup
umm off the top of my head i dont think theyre gold more a greyish dark colour. would be sweet if they replace dya know if theres a limit to this as ive had mine less than a year.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
You need to ring them and they will advise you. Less than a year old though so they need to provide a warranty with them, I think they give 2 years anyway.

Newer style are black iirc, which aren't supposed to have the problem.

ITB'd MK1
it's pretty normal for almost all coilovers to have the springs ping sometimes. Just a characteristic of having flat spring seats

182 Cup
cool might drop them an e-mail tomorrow and see what they say, is there a chance they just need tightening up at all, cheers for the heads up about this though

182 Cup
oh right but its quite frequent as in every time i pull off my drive and now when turning at junctions and hasnt always been like this.

182 Cup
No idea about the washers as K-TEC fitted them wen I had cambelt and 36K service last year, as to the oiling I'll give that a go tomorrow couldn't get it to make the noise on my drive today whilst tryin to work it out an then went for a nice drive n it twanged!! Typical int it.

182 Cup
guess it cant be that much of a deal then but if we all have the same set up and same problem then maybe summats up with the K-TEC gear, might e-mail them in the mornin an see what they say.

182 Cup
how low is your set up im gonna ave a go at dropping mine down further tomorrow, never done it before, do you get much scrubbing wen cornering hard.

182 Cup
Ok so had a look at it today and it's definitely the springs moving aroundwhen turning, I oiled it all up a bit an think I made it worse as I just have to wiggle the steering wheel and it pings both ways right and left spring.

182 cup Inferno
how low is your set up im gonna ave a go at dropping mine down further tomorrow, never done it before, do you get much scrubbing wen cornering hard.
Just messed about with mine and just say scrubs wen cornering hard

182 Cup
Cool don't mind a bit of scrubbing, still haven't got round to doin it though, summat else always comes up!! Need to sort out this noise as well really

TRACK CAR BREAKING
When mine was really low on the front I cut abit of my arch linners out and filled down abit when the front bumper bolts on lol
No more rubbing.
As for the noise.. Your top mounts have seized so the is no movement In them making to spring having to turn. .

182 Cup
Yeah I'm gonna spend some time lookin at it all in the mornin, I think also the bolt that holds the strut in the top mount could be too tight thus not allowing the bearing to move/ possibly breaking it, I'll see what I find hopefully the bearings aren't shot to s**t