ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Picture request - F4R engine

Renault 5 GTE
I need pictures of F4R engine, from any angle possible, so if anyone has it...

I would also like to see that engine without the plastic cover on top...

Many thanks...:)

P1000843.jpg

P1010351.jpg

P1010353.jpg

P1000841.jpg

Renault 5 GTE
Thanks Ben, I knew you got the answer, you always had one...thumbs up!

That's your grunt or?

Danlp6 said:
so how does the vvt work on these? is it like an automatic vernier pulley? lookin at those pics, its not like the vtec sysem where it has a hi-lift lobes on the cam.

Your on the right tracks.

The cam is a normal cam, with a single lobe per valve. In OE trim the timing of each valve per cylinder is a few degrees different to aid swirl and efficiency, but i junk that offset on my cams.

The VVT pulley has vanes on the inside, once you reach a certain rpm/load trigger point (1450rpm @+800mb) then a VVT plunger is activated, which opens an oil galley into the centre of the camshaft, which then supplies oil pressure to the pulley. The oil pressure is directed to one side of the vanes which changes the relative position of the pulley to the cam, advancing the cam 16 degrees. Its not too fancy and basically is an on/off setup. But the same pulley is basically used on the constantly variable system on newer renualts, but the plunger recives a pulsed signal which will affect the amount of pressure on either side of the vanes so you can advance/r****d the cams by however much the ecu decides is correct.

BenR said:
Your on the right tracks.

The cam is a normal cam, with a single lobe per valve. In OE trim the timing of each valve per cylinder is a few degrees different to aid swirl and efficiency, but i junk that offset on my cams.

The VVT pulley has vanes on the inside, once you reach a certain rpm/load trigger point (1450rpm @+800mb) then a VVT plunger is activated, which opens an oil galley into the centre of the camshaft, which then supplies oil pressure to the pulley. The oil pressure is directed to one side of the vanes which changes the relative position of the pulley to the cam, advancing the cam 16 degrees. Its not too fancy and basically is an on/off setup. But the same pulley is basically used on the constantly variable system on newer renualts, but the plunger recives a pulsed signal which will affect the amount of pressure on either side of the vanes so you can advance/r****d the cams by however much the ecu decides is correct.

you say is a 1450rpm, whats the kick at 5000? i rememer someone sayin that was the vvt?

Also, how much are your cams?

Cheers!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
id imagine the kick is just when it reaches peak torque, like a valver is poo untill 4grand then its pretty quick

Danlp6 said:
you say is a 1450rpm, whats the kick at 5000? i rememer someone sayin that was the vvt?

Also, how much are your cams?

Cheers!

the kick is just the cams comming on as efficiency starts to gain and inertial ramming starts to take effect with the tiny overlap figures that the engine runs.

PM me if your interested in my cams please

Ben what is the difference with your cams as, as far as I can tell, there is no 5k kick as before just power on tap at all times. Is this cams or map or both?

P.S. Bens cams rule. As used by all the fastest clios;)

Difference between the std cam and the one your running, duration wise, is very little......its not a wild cam. The gains are made by very very rapid valve acceleration rates, but with a lift curve that minimises valve float and bounce. SO basically your getting the valve off the seat faster, running peak lift for longer, reducing the 4th and 5th order harmonics so that natural frequencies dont set themselves up in the springs, which leads to poor valve control and float/bounce.

Essentially your making alot more torque across a much wider band because the dynamic compression ratio is higher than stock across all those areas, its all about holding great volumetric efficiency for as long a period as you can.

BenR said:
Difference between the std cam and the one your running, duration wise, is very little......its not a wild cam. The gains are made by very very rapid valve acceleration rates, but with a lift curve that minimises valve float and bounce. SO basically your getting the valve off the seat faster, running peak lift for longer, reducing the 4th and 5th order harmonics so that natural frequencies dont set themselves up in the springs, which leads to poor valve control and float/bounce.

Essentially your making alot more torque across a much wider band because the dynamic compression ratio is higher than stock across all those areas, its all about holding great volumetric efficiency for as long a period as you can.

A bit scientific! You mean you have changed the shape of the lobes rather then there position in relationship to each other, compared to standard?

If this produces such a desirable effect why dont Renault make them like that?

lol, if they did i'd only produce something a tad wilder lol.

Concentrating on 5th order harmonics and the actual operation of the valves, rather than what the cam is doing, has resulted in the torque monsters that are running around at the moment. 30% more torque at a lower peak rpm point......cant argue with that ;)

Renault 5 GTE
2 Ben: isn't "grunt" english slang version of engine? Pardon me if not :D

And I was thanking for the pictures, you always come up with the answer, with any question I ask...that's how I remembered you even though I wasn't on these boards for a long time :)

yes, dont know exactly whats going on with it though.

It snapped a mount, and some areas need addressing to release the full potential.