ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phs1 172 or clio3 197 f1?

clio 172 phs1 turbo
As stated Iive got a phs1 172 titanium just changed clutch recon box cambelt dephaser water pump coilovers brembos
Induction decat and stripped with strut braces but now im bord. Iv found a black 197 f1 30k and cheap I think.
Iv owned 4 172 and I love them but have wanted a f1 for a while. has any else made the same change
Or is there no real difference between the 2 And I should save my money lol
Many thank
Tom

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
ive got both, along with a trophy aswell.
when we bought the 197 R27 I thought it was comfy and nice but seemed to miss the real appeal of the 172/182, we took it to the ring and really didn't gel with the car either
to give you an idea, the car has sat for 3 months on the driveway and not even turned a wheel as im really not bothered about getting in it.

fancy buying ours?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Be great if you can own both. Bu like allready said take a spin in one and if the one you are thinking of getting is 'cheap', if you don't like it your not going to lose much if any money.

Clio 197 F1
How much is "Cheap"?
I bought my F1 in July for £7k after driving a few 172/182's/197's, the 172/182 on sale at the time wern't great and the F1 spec was just incredible.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Depends what you want from it mate. No doubt the 197's as an all round car is better. But if you do a lot of track days & it's just a weekend screamer, i'd keep what you've got as you've put money in it.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I think the above comments are helpfull, you need to go and have a good test drive of one.
just because the car doesn't suit me or my tastes doesn't mean it wont suit you, they must be a decent car as many people have them and enjoy them daily, we all have different requirements or what we like/want from a toy.

as Advikaz has also mentioned, if you are going to do track time and wanting a weekend screamer then for me the 172/182 is a much better choice.

I'd look at the Meg R26 as an option? I currently own a Ph1 172, 182 & 197 & I'd put them in that order to use first (even if the 172 wasn't s/c)
I always wanted a 197 now I've had one for over a year I wish I'd gone for a R26, I only use the 197 for work, if me & the mrs go anywhere we go in the 182. On track I think it's great but for everyday driving I prefer the 172/182, but I love the look of my 197.

I'd look at the Meg R26 as an option? I currently own a Ph1 172, 182 & 197 & I'd put them in that order to use first (even if the 172 wasn't s/c)
I always wanted a 197 now I've had one for over a year I wish I'd gone for a R26, I only use the 197 for work, if me & the mrs go anywhere we go in the 182. On track I think it's great but for everyday driving I prefer the 172/182, but I love the look of my 197.

Look at you with all your bloody cars ;)

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Cheers for the input guys much appreciated. well its 57 plaite30k on the clock 6monthtax 10months mot fsh just had service with 15 months warrenty
Full tank petrol and dimondbrite paint protection £7000 so cheapish And I love the seats think there recaros (correct me if im wrong)
Im going to road test it sunday and see what else I can get from the dealership.
Ive owned my current 172 phs 1 for just over a year and have spent more then the cars value on doin it up and now the car is good and healthy. Just dont wana throw that away and buy a dog and be back to the square1 lol
Is there anything to look at for when I go to see except for the obvious noise smoke etc any thing i need to check has been done or needs to be done?
Many thanks tom

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
That isn't cheap at all. I've had mine for nearly 2 years and didn't paid that much!

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Really? Looking at other f1 with same millage are well in the £8000 plus area.
Even doin a car valuation said it should be in the £8000's
Am I missing something here? Lol

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Where did you do a valuation that showed £8k+? Thats early 200's money.

Are you specifically after a very low milage car? If so then you'll pay a premium (that in my eyes isn't really justified) Average mileage for an F1 would be around 50-60k now (All will be around 5+ years old now) so anything below that I would consider low mileage. I don't think you are gaining anything by specifically looking for a car with only 30k on the clock.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Hmm, i'm thinking prices of F1 models seem to have risen recently. I too can't find many below the £7k mark. If that's the current going rate I think I need to get mine advertised!

Ocrlew

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm, i'm thinking prices of F1 models seem to have risen recently. I too can't find many below the £7k mark. If that's the current going rate I think I need to get mine advertised!

Yeah they have gone up abit now as they are becoming more rare as people crashing them and just not treating them well. so good examples are demanding good money. but if your not bothered about the f1 stickers you can get the spec of a f1 but not a f1 for couple k cheaper, but if you want the plaque you have to pay for it

clio 172 phs1 turbo
Im not bothered about millage really just looking for a half decent clio and my 172 is getting a familiar gearbox whine and it starting to stall
Prob icv and a nother gbox so just want something else and havnt had a 197 and dnt like the clio 4 lol

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26

I'll swap you my Red. ;)

Monaco172, R27 197
I Have a Phase2 172 and a F1 197 but can not get the same feeling driving the F1. I have had my 172 for 8 years its like a pair of comfy slippers where as i just dont seem to get the same enjoyment out of driving the F1. It is a great car but totally different in the way it drives more grown up, and i think thats the problem. Saying that i will keep both for the time being.